Nathan's Dilemma

Wow. This is making it harder and harder on Nathan. Love that he ran into Jack and Jessica. I am wondering if she is not his daughter is she the daughter of his wife. He said no when Nathan assumed she was his daughter and called her his litter Jessica. I am thinking that Nathan is going to change his mind about the kidney transplant. Thanks Will really enjoying this.

I have goosebumps.
Thanks for another great chapter Will!
I cannot wait for another one :)

Thank you for the comments everyone! Jessica is Jack's daughter, I forgot to put "shakes his head yes". I corrected it though, sorry about that.

Three days later.

(Vanderbilt Transplant Center, Nashville)

Nathan and Melanie sit in a private waiting room. Nathan taps his fingers on the chairs arm rest.

Melanie: Nervous?

Nathan looks at her and shakes his head.

Nathan: No, I will be in good hands. Vanderbilt has a very good reputation.

Melanie raises her eyebrows.

Nathan: Ok, yes. I am nervous.

She takes his hand.

Melanie: Its only natural to be.
Nathan: I'm glad your here with me. I could not have made it through any of this without you.
Melanie: And I will be here when you wake up.

He smiles. The door opens and Maggie walks in.

Nathan: Grandma.

He stands up and they hug.

Maggie: How are you holding up?
Nathan: A little anxious, very nervous.

He looks at the door again.

Nathan: So mom isnt coming?

Maggie closes her eyes and shakes her head.

Maggie: Im afraid not. She left the house before I could speak to her.
Nathan: I never meant to upset her by agreeing to this.
Maggie: I know that. All of our emotions are running high right now. Its hard for some of us to see the logic.

Nathan walks to the other side of the room and sighs.

Nathan: I just......I just couldnt say no after seeing Cassidy like that. Everyone said I was innocent, that they were trying to protect me. Isnt Cassidy innocent to?
Maggie: Of course she is.

Maggie walks over and hugs him.

Maggie: You know Melanie and I support your decision. But please dont take your moms behavior personal, she is in a very complicated position in all of this.

He shakes his head.

Nathan: I know she is. I just wish she would talk to me.
Maggie: Just give her some more time.

Nathan reaches into his pocket and takes out a form. He unfolds it.

Nathan: I had this notorized yesterday, its sort of a statement concerning my money and posessions. You know, just incase?
Maggie: Yes.
Nathan: Will you hold onto it?
Maggie: Of course.

She takes it from him and puts it in her purse.

The door opens again, Brenda steps in.

Nathan: Brenda hi. This is my Grandmother Maggie and my good friend Melanie.

They exchange hellos. Maggie looks at Melanie.

Maggie: What do you say we get something to drink?
Melanie: Sounds good.
Maggie: We'll be back.

They leave.

Nathan: So, where is Cassidy?
Brenda: She is visting with Wes. She understands that your an anonymous donor, so she wont say anything to him.
Nathan: Even if she did, he still wouldnt know I am his biological son right?
Brenda: Right.
Nathan: Good.

Brenda sits down and starts to tear up.

Brenda: I want to thank you again Dr. Horton. When you called me back after leaving the other day, I was so grateful.
Nathan: Your welcome. But please always remember, I am doing this for your daughter only.
Brenda: Is your mother ok?
Nathan: I dont mean to be rude, but I would rather keep her out of this.
Brenda: I understand. I apologize.

Nathan glances at the clock and sits back down.

Brenda: I spoke to Dr. Davis this morning, I thanked him for getting all the tests done so quickly.
Nathan: Thats how it normally works, especially since your husband is in ESRD. He needs the transplant as soon as possible.

The door opens again, Cassidy walks in wiping tears out of her eyes. Brenda rushes over and hugs her, Nathan stands up.

Cassidy: Everything is going to be ok right mom?
Brenda: We will pray that it will be sweetie.
Cassidy: Dad said he loves us.
Brenda: Of course he does sweetie, of coure he does.

Cassidy looks at Nathan.

Cassidy: I will be praying for you to.

Nathan smiles, he steps over and hugs her.

Nathan: Thank you Cassidy, that means alot.

Thirty minutes later Nathan is laying in the preparation room, Maggie and Melanie are standing by the bed. The transplant physician Dr. Banks has just finished going over the procedure.

Banks: Do you have any questions Dr. Horton?
Nathan: No. I think Im ready.
Banks: Good. The transport team will be here momentarily to move you to the operating room. I will see you then.

He walks out of the room.

Nathan: I cant wait.

He looks at Maggie and Melanie and smiles. They smile back.

Nathan: We should stay in good spirits you know.
Maggie: Absolutely!
Melanie: Yes.

"I will second that" a familiar voices says. They all look to see Melissa standing in the doorway.

Nathan: Mom!

She walks in and smiles.

Maggie: Melissa! Thank god you came!

Maggie hugs her and cries.

Maggie: Oh my child, I am so glad you are here.
Melissa: So am I.

Melissa looks at Nathan, Maggie notices.

Maggie: Melanie, what do you say we go back to the waiting room, let these two talk.
Melanie: Ok.

Melanie kisses Nathan on the forehead.

Melanie: I will be right here when you wake up.
Nathan: Looking foward to it.

Maggie hugs and kisses him.

Maggie: We will see you soon.

Maggie and Melanie leave. Melissa sits down on the side of the bed.

Nathan: Mom, I know your upset with my decision, and I'm sorry.

Melissa shakes her head.

Melissa: I was never upset with your decision. I just needed time to come to terms with my own feelings.
Nathan: Grandma Maggie said you left the house this morning?
Melissa: Yes, I went to the church to light a candle and pray. I asked god to watch over my brave son.

Nathan takes her hand.

Nathan: You do understand right? You know I am doing this for Cassidy?
Melissa: Of course I understand. You are a Horton, you wouldnt have it any other way.

Nathan smiles.

Melissa: The truth is, I will always have bad feelings towards Wes Watson. And I am still upset over how you found out about all of this. But I will never be mad at you or your choices. I love you Nathan.
Nathan: I love you to.

She kisses and hugs him. There is a knock at the door, the transport team walks in.

Nathan: Well, I guess this is it.

Melissa starts to tear up. She smiles and runs her hand through his hair. She leans fowards and kisses him again.

Melissa: See you soon.

In the waiting room Maggie and Melanie sit on one side of the room, Brenda and Cassidy sit on the other. The door opens and Melissa walks in. She and Brenda stare at each other. Melanie stands up.

Melanie: Hey Cassidy, lets you and I go to chapel? We can light a candle and pray for your dad and Nathan.

Cassidy looks at Brenda.

Cassidy: Can I mom?
Brenda: Of course.

Melanie and Cassidy leave. Brenda stands up and looks at Melissa.

Brenda: You must be Melissa.
Melissa: As if you didnt know.

Maggie stands up.

Maggie: Melissa please!
Brenda: No, its ok. She has the right to express herself.

Melissa continues to stare at her coldly.

Melissa: How dare you reach out to my son over this?! I have spent his whole life trying to protect him from the truth! Did you ever once consider what this would do to him?! Finding out that his biological father raped his mother! Did you?!

Brenda takes a deep breath.

Brenda: Of course I did. And I sincerely apologize about everything.

Melissa lets out a laugh.

Melissa: You apologize? Well, this is one apology that will never be accepted! You had no right! I dont care if you did find out about Nathan by accident! You should have left him alone!
Brenda: You have every right to feel the way you do.
Melissa: You damn right I do! Your husband put me through the worst horror imaginable! And yet you want a favor from my son?!
Brenda: All I can say is that I love my daughter. Just like you would do anything for your son, I will do anything for my daughter. Wes is her father and she loves him. Im sorry it has caused your family grief, but I will never regret my decision.

Melissa sighs. Brenda walks back to the other side of the room and sits down. Maggie takes Melissa's hand.

Maggie: Are you ok?
Melissa: Yeah. Lets sit down.

Nathan lies on the bed in the operating room. Dr. Hsu, the anesthesiologist inserts a syringe into his i.v. chord.

Hsu: Ok Nathan, I am administering the anesthesia now. Please count back from 100.
Nathan: 100, 99, 98-

His vision starts to go blurry, everything turns black as he closes his eyes. The voices of the transplant team fade away. He suddenly opens his eyes and is shocked to see that he is standing in the Horton house back in Salem.

Nathan: Where am I?

"You should know" a voice says from behind. He turns around, his eyes go wide. Alice sits in her chair smiling.

Nathan: Grandma Alice? It cant be!
Alice: Yes dear, it is I.

OK tears in eyes at the picture in my mind ALICE there to help Natan. This is an amazing story. You have a real talent for writing! Thanks for another great chapter.

Loved that the Melissa/Brenda convo was so real and not sugar coated. Loving this story!

Loved the way Melissa confronted Brenda. Ohhh Nooo if Nathan is seeing Alice does that mean he died during the operation?????? Will how can you leave us like this. tomorrow hurry up and come. Thanks for the great chapter. It left me with tears in my eyes.

Oh my goodness, I started bawling my eyes out when Melissa showed up at the hospital. Then as I composed myself again I got teary-eyed again when I got to the end and Nathan sees Alice! :cry2: Thanks again, Will, for the wonderful story.

Wow. I am crying too. One of the ladies came to my office and asked me if I was crying cause my mascara was running. LOL
Oops!
Thanks for another wonderful, great story Will!
I absolutely cannot wait for more!

(Vanderbilt Transplant Center)

Maggie pours a cup of water and takes it to Melissa.

Melissa: Thanks mom.

Maggie sits down and puts her arm around her.

Maggie: How are you holding up?
Melissa: As good as can be I suppose. You?
Maggie: The same.
Melissa: I wish I could be back there with him. I wish I could be holding his hand, assuring him I am still here.
Maggie: He knows darling, he knows.

Across the room Brenda sits staring at a wallet photo of her, Wes, and Cassidy from last Christmas. She whipes a tear out of her eye.

Brenda: Hopefully we have many more holidays to come.

The door opens, Melanie and Cassidy walk back in. Cassidy hurries over to Brenda, they hug.

Cassidy: I lit a candle for dad and Nathan.

Brenda smiles.

Brenda: Thats nice sweetheart, I know they both appreciate it.

Melanie hugs Maggie and Melissa.

Melanie: Has there been any word?
Maggie: No, nothing yet.

Melanie sits down and closes her eyes. She prays again silently.

(Opearting Room)

Dr. Banks watches both transplant teams.

Banks: Great job everyone, smooth sailing so far!

A monitor starts to beep. Dr. Artis, the assisting surgeon, looks at the monitor.

Artis: This one is coding! Lets find out whats going on!

Nathan stands in the Horton house living room, he continues to look at Alice in shock.

Nathan: Gram, how can this be?
Alice: Its very simple dear. I have come to see you through.
Nathan: See me through?
Alice: Of course. Even I still know when my family needs me.

Nathan exhales and comes to a realization. He sits down and looks at her.

Nathan: If you are here to see me through, then it can only mean one thing. I didnt make it did I?

Alice sighs.

Alice: My dear grandson. Im afraid that is not for me to decide.
Nathan: What do you mean?
Alice: It means I do not know what gods plan is. None of us do.

Nathan looks down at the floor.

Alice: I know this ordeal has been very difficult for you especially.
Nathan: I'm just so confused Gram. But I did the right thing, didnt I? For Cassidy's sake?

Alice smiles.

Alice: Only you can decide that. But I can say your Great Grandpa Tom, Grandpa Mickey, and I are very proud of you Nathan. The Horton legacy is as strong as ever.
Nathan: But what about mom?
Alice: Dont you worry about Melissa, she is strong. She will get through this.
Nathan: But I cant help to feel that I have betrayed her.
Alice: She meant what she told you dear. We can all certainly understand her position, but believe me, she understands yours as well. She loves you with all her heart and that will never change.

Nathan gets up and hugs her.

Nathan: Thank you Gram, I love you so much! I miss you, we all do!
Alice: I love you to dear.

Alice takes his hand and places it on his chest.

Alice: But remember. I am always with you, right here in your heart.

Nathan smiles and kisses her on the forehead. A noise suddenly comes from the kitchen, he spins around.

Nathan: What was that?

He looks back to Alice but only sees an empty chair. He notices his hand still on his chest. He closes his eyes.

Nathan: Always in my heart Gram, always.

He walks slowly towards the kitchen door. He puts his hand on it and pushes it open. He walks through and finds himself back in the hallway at the Vanderbilt Center. The hall is empty and quiet. He suddenly senses someone behind him and spins around. A man stands staring at him. Nathan knows exactly who he is.

Nathan: Wes.
Wes: Hello Nathan.
Nathan: How do you know who I am?

Wes smiles.

Wes: In this reality, knowledge is common.
Nathan: This reality? What is this? What are we doing here?
Wes: I believe we are at a crossroads.
Nathan: A crossroads?
Wes: Yes. And if you do not mind, I would like to say a couple things to you.

Nathan stares at him.

Wes: I know that I could apologize forever and it would never be enough, but I am very sorry for what I did to your mother. She did not deserve it and I have lived my life in regret over it. I understand her decision to keep you from me, she did the right thing for your sake.

Nathan continues to look at him.

Wes: I would also like to thank you for your gift, even if for Cassidy's sake only. I feel much solace right now knowing that she is going to be ok, and I have you to thank for it.

A door behind Wes suddenly opens. He smiles again.

Wes: I have to be going now. Thank you again.

Nathan watches as he turns and walks through the door, it shuts. Nathan looks around the hallway again.

Nathan: What now?

Another door suddenly opens behind him, he spins around. He slowly walks up to it and looks inside. He squints as a bright light comes over him. He opens his eyes, his vision is blurry. He hears the sound of a muffled voice. His vision clears up, his head feels groggy. The voice becomes clear, it is Melanie.

Melanie: Nathan?

He looks at her and blinks.

Melanie: Nathan, do you know who I am?

He half smiles, he talks a little slurish.

Nathan: Hey Mel.
Melanie: Welcome back.

She kisses him on the forehead. Maggie and Melissa rush in.

Melissa: He's awake?!

They hurry to the bedside and smile.

Melissa: Hey you!
Maggie: Look who's finally awake!

Nathan smiles again. He takes a deep breath and at looks at them.

Nathan: How did everything go?

Melissa, Maggie, and Melanie look at each other, their smiles vanishing. Melissa takes his hand.

Melissa: Wes didnt make it. He passed away just a few minutes into the procedure. It was a blood clot.

Nathan thinks of Cassidy right away. He closes his eyes, a tear runs down his cheek.

Sneaky...trying to fool us into thinking that Nathan was not going to make it and Wes was.....very clever!

Oh wow. Thank you for another great chapter Will!
Can't believe Wes died; I feel sad for Cassidy.
Loved that Alice came back and talked with Nathan!

Wow. Just loved this chapter. I was so sure that it was Nathan that was going to die. The fact that Alice said she was there to see him through made me sure I was right. Only when he asked and she said no one knows God's plan did I think that he may make it after all. Love that while both where inbetween that Wes got to speak to Nathan. I feel sad for Cassidy and Brenda, but am glad that if one was to die it was Wes. Thanks for the chapter.

:cry2::clap::cry2:
I've gotta start wearing waterproof mascara to work. I really loved this chapter. Thank you for bringing us back our beloved Alice for a couple of chapters.

Two days later.

(Melissa's House)

Melissa sits at the kitchen table going through her appointment book. Nathan walks in.

Nathan: Morning mom.
Melissa: Morning sweetie, how are you feeling?
Nathan: Better than yesterday.
Melissa: You know I was thinking, should they have released you so soon?
Nathan: Yes, it was standard in this case since I am only recovering from the incision.
Melissa: I see.

He pours a cup of coffee and sits down.

Nathan: So how is business?
Melissa: Hectic. I have to get caught up on the meetings I had to cancel.
Nathan: I hope it wasnt very many.
Melissa: Just a couple. I will say one thing though, I have a new respect for the managing side of things.
Nathan: Well, if anyone can do it its you. You know the trials and tribulations of trying to make it as a singer in this city.
Melissa: Thanks.

He picks up the newspaper and looks over the front page. He opens it up to page two and sees the headline, "Crisis Center Founder Passes Away". He reads the small article. He looks at Melissa, she notices.

Melissa: Is everything ok?
Nathan: They had Wes's burial this morning. Apparently it was only a graveside service.

Melissa looks back down at her book.

Nathan: Im sorry mom, I shouldnt have said anything.
Melissa: No, its ok. I know your worried about Cassidy.

Nathan nods.

Nathan: Yeah, I am.

(Waffle House)

Maggie and Melanie sit in a booth looking over the menu.

Melanie: I think I'm going to have the strawberry topping with whipped cream.

She looks up and notices Maggie staring out the window.

Melanie: Maggie?

Maggie looks at her and smiles.

Maggie: I'm sorry dear, my mind is still wandering. I thought getting out would help but it doesnt seem to be.
Melanie: Still worried about Nathan?
Maggie: Yes.

Melanie takes her hand.

Melanie: He is going to be ok, we are all here for him.
Maggie: It was such a shock for him to find out the truth, and I know he is feeling for Cassidy right now. I just hope he is going to be ok emotionally.
Melanie: Well, he and I actually talked about that last night. He thinks it would be a good idea to see a psychologist when we get back to Salem.
Maggie: Oh good! It would be a very wise decision I think.
Melanie: Yeah, I agree.

Maggie takes her hand.

Maggie: Melanie, thank you so much for coming here with me. I dont know what Nathan would have done without you.
Melanie: Well, I dont know where I would be right now if it wasnt for your family. I am just trying to return the gesture.

They both smile.

(Watson House)

Nathan walks onto the porch and rings the doorbell. A woman answers the door.

Woman: Yes, can I help you?
Nathan: Hi, is Mrs. Watson in?
Woman: Yes she is, but its not a good time right now. Her husbands funeral was this morning.

Nathan nods.

Nathan: Yes I know. Uh, I dont mean to be pressing, but if you could please tell her its Nathan.

The woman sighs and shuts the door. Nathan walks to the other side of the porch. The door opens again, Brenda steps out, she is wearing a black dress.

Nathan: Brenda.
Brenda: Nathan, I wasnt expecting you to stop by.
Nathan: I hope Im not imposing.
Brenda: Of course not, my mother just didnt know who you were. But please, come in.
Nathan: Actually, I was wondering if I could see Cassidy.

Brenda smiles.

Brenda: Thank you for thinking of her. She is having a really hard time.
Nathan: Would you care if I talked to her?
Brenda: Of course not. She is actually in the backyard, just follow the sidewalk around to the gate.
Nathan: Thanks.

He walks around and pulls the gate open. He see's Cassidy sitting in a chair near the edge of the yard. He walks over to her.

Nathan: Hi Cassidy.

She glances at him then looks away.

Nathan: How are you holding up?

She doesnt answer him. He pulls an empty chair up.

Nathan: Do you care if I sit here with you?

She looks at him but still says nothing. He sits down.

Nathan: I know its hard when we lose people we love. I lost my Grandpa and Great Grandma last year. I miss them both very much.

She looks away again.

Nathan: But the important thing is that we keep their memories alive. When someone leaves us, they live on through those they touched. And your dad is going to live on through you.

She continues to look away from him. He notices a small clubhouse sitting just beyond the yard near the woods. He looks at her and smiles.

Nathan: Say, I bet that was your clubhouse when you was younger? I bet you have alot of good memories from it.

She still says nothing. He stands up and moves the chair back to where it was. He looks at her.

Nathan: I understand if you dont want to talk right now. But your mom has my number and I want you to know that you can call me anytime. Take care Cassidy.

He starts to walk off.

Cassidy: My dad built the clubhouse when I was eight.

He stops and turns around.

Cassidy: My friends and I used to play in it all the time.
Nathan: I bet you guys had alot of fun.
Cassidy: We did. What I would give to go back to that time right now. Atleast my dad would be here.

Nathan puts his hand on her shoulder, she looks up at him.

Cassidy: Thank you for being willing to help him.
Nathan: Your very welcome.
Cassidy: I just dont understand, why did a blood clot have to go to his heart?
Nathan: Some things can never be understood.

She starts to cry, he hugs her. He then notices Brenda standing on the back porch, she is whiping tears out of her eyes.

Cassidy: Thank you for coming to see me Nathan.
Nathan: I wanted to, I was worried about you.
Cassidy: I know this may sound weird, but I find it so easy to talk to you. Its like your a member of our family.

Nathan takes a deep breath as he fights back tears. He looks at Brenda and raises his eyebrows, she shakes her head yes. He pulls out of the hug and puts his hands on Cassidy's shoulders.

Nathan: Cassidy, I think there is something you should know.
Cassidy: Something I should know?

Brenda walks up to them, Cassidy looks at her.

Cassidy: Mom? Whats going on?
Brenda: Nathan has something to tell you sweetie.

They both look at him.

Cassidy: What is it?
Nathan: Your dad was my biological father.

Cassidy puts her hands over her mouth and starts to tear up.

Nathan: Your mom found me and asked if I would come to be tested for a donor match.

Cassidy is now sobbing, Brenda hugs her. She whipes away the tears and looks at Nathan.

Cassidy: So I have a big brother?

Nathan smiles and nods.

Nathan: Yes, you have a big brother.

(Melissa's House)

Two hours later Nathan pulls into the driveway. He gets out and walks to the back deck, Melanie is sitting in a chair reading a book.

Melanie: Hey you.
Nathan: Hey Mel. Where is everyone?
Melanie: Your mom had an appointment, Maggie is inside making a pie.
Nathan: Ah.

She sits the book down and stands up.

Melanie: Is everything ok?
Nathan: I think so.

She raises her eyebrows.

Nathan: Cassidy knows Im her brother, Brenda and I told her.
Melanie: Oh. I didnt know you went over there.

He sighs.

Melanie: So, how did that go?
Nathan: Cassidy was happy about it, or alteast seemed to be.
Melanie: Seemed to be?
Nathan: I dont know. Thinking about it now, maybe we shouldnt have told her, not on the day her dad was buried.

She looks at him.

Nathan: I dont know Mel, I just had this impulse.
Melanie: Impulse?
Nathan: She actually told me that I was like a member of her family. After that, I just felt the need to tell her.
Melanie: Then Im sure you did the right thing.
Nathan: I hope. I just have so much weighing on my mind right now.
Melanie: Is it the stuff we talked about last night?
Nathan: Part of it is.
Melanie: Well, if there is more, you know I am a good listener.

He smiles and puts his arm around her.

Nathan: Lets take a walk.

They walk around the backyard as he tells her about the experience while being under in the operating room.

Melanie: Wow!
Nathan: You know, Im still trying to figure it out. It may have just been a dream, but I swear it felt so real.

He looks at her.

Nathan: You think I am crazy dont you?

She smiles and shakes her head.

Melanie: Never. To be honest, it sort of makes sense.
Nathan: Makes sense?
Melanie: Who else would you have went to for advice other than your Great Grandma if she were still alive?

Nathan smiles.

Nathan: Your right. If Gram was still here she would have been the one.
Melanie: And as for Wes, he was obviously thanking you for being willing to help his daughter.
Nathan: But he thanked me for a gift.
Melanie: Right, your gift to Cassidy, that she now has a big brother in her life.

He starts to tear up.

Melanie: If there is any legitimate purpose as to why you found out the truth, it would have to be you becoming a part of Cassidy's life, to be here for her and see her through this. With her dad gone, she needs her big brother now more than ever.

Nathan whipes the tears out of his eyes, Melanie hugs him.

Nathan: Thank you Mel. I honestly would not have gotten through any of this without you.

She starts to tear up.

Melanie: I will always be here for you Nathan. I love you, and I always have.
Nathan: I love you to Mel.

They kiss.

Maggie watches them kiss from the kitchen window. She smiles and pulls the blind down. She walks into the living room and stops at the fire place. She looks lovingly at all the framed pictures on the mantle. She stops at the one of Mickey, Tom, and Alice. Mickey stands in the middle, he has one arm around Tom and the other around Alice. They are all smiling happily. Maggie tears up as she rubs the glass with her finger tips.

Maggie: Please continue to watch over us, and please continue to bless us, for all the days of our lives.

THE END

Wow. Great ending. Just love that Nathan is going to be there for Cassidy. Thanks for the wonderful story. Hoping it is just the start of many more to come.

Great story. SO happy they told Cassidy he was her brother! Thank you for a wonderful story Will! I loved it!

Back