New Establishing Shots/Models

It kinda looks like they're using a blue filter on the "night" shots. The hospital might be a model, although it's very similar to a hospital near me. At any rate, I appreciate their effort. (Just as I appreciate the effort to give the Spectator some offices, even if it's obviously a living room cube farm.)

I think there was a shot of an office building in one episode, too, but I can't find it.

Some years back, for some reason, a Days camera man, or crew were in the Minneapolis area, and took a lot of outside shots of various buildings, areas, etc. They used some on Days for a bit, but then, it ended. I wonder if they pulled them out of the files, or someonw remembered them??? I know they would film right outside the studio building (when I visited family in CA, visited NBC, unfortunately, Days was not filming that day.

There is or was a park right across the street they used at times.....and of course the sidewalk outside the the doors to the bldg was a good spot as well. Who knows if the area hasn't been built up, torn down, etc. Anyway, Days moved their base of operations so wherever it is, they don't go outside.

Here's what I could get for them:

Screenshot 2024-03-03 162321.pngScreenshot 2024-03-03 162342.png

Folks on twitter were complaining that Salem is supposed to be a small town, apparently forgetting that 3 international mega-corporations and 2 major hospitals operate out of it. It could have a bustling downtown with skyscrapers and still have areas that feel like a small town. It's common in the midwest.

I live in small town, and have other small town around.........but none have skyscrapers. Heck, only 3 in all of Wisconsin......in face.....

here's a little map I found.....with number in each state.....

1709507557514.png

OK, I overused "skyscraper". I'm thinking of buildings that are 15-20 stories, which would not be included in your chart. You can find them in cities like Madison (WI), Rochester (MN), Superior (WI), Denver (CO), and Philadelphia (PA) as well as Des Moines (IA) and Cleveland (OH). Those are the types of cities I think of when I think of Salem (specifically Rochester, or half a Cleveland). So to me it doesn't seem outrageous that John and Marlena live in a tall building (but not a skyscraper, my mistake) around other tall buildings in a town that considers itself small.

When I was in Los Angeles, I was staying in Toluca Lake. It had one building that was 23 stories, one that was 17, and another that was around 9 or so. Everything else was short (5-6 stories or fewer). So Salem's downtown is bigger than that. I didn't have time to find out how many international corporations were headquartered there. I didn't see any hospitals, although there were two small clinics.

I live in small town
Perhaps because our verbal terminology for cities and towns isn't standardized, this is getting confusing for some. Is Salem a "small town" or a "small city"?

I live in a small "town" at least per the US department of statistics because it has fewer than 50,000 residents, but more than 5,000. It is defined by Wisconsin as a city, though. I imagine Salem is more like a city about an hour to the south of me, which has just over 50,000 in population (and does in fact have a few 9 and 10 story buildings including some downtown).

From your descriptions, Poirot, I'm guessing you live in a small "town" that's classified as a town or village, which is quite different from what Salem has typically been described as being.

But of course - this all depends on DUH PLOT. They use the small town excuse when it sells their daily plot point, and the same goes for things that suggest Salem is a larger city.

Last edited:
LOL, yep, I live in "small town:"......around 2500........and was born and raised in Chicago.....for sure very very different. I hated riding elevators....had a job with compqany on 45th floor. Ugh. I did not even like looking out a window. LOL

It truly is interesting to see how we all, in these different parts of the country, see our personal areas. I know born and raised in Chicago, I know all about bustling big city, with huge downtown area, skyscrapers, The "L", the subway, streetcars, buses, cab companies (when I lived there, only Yellow Cab, and Checker Cab........now there are soooo many). Colleges, churches galore, huge apartment bldgs. Heck, when I moved to a brand new suburb, small, very rural, had to drive 10 miles just to an A&P, 4 miles to a tiny grocery store. but, it all grew, & now, when I have been back, yep, bustling metropolis as more suburbs were built close by, thus more businesses, and of course, then then the huge Woodfield Mall. LOL

So here I am, in a very small town, that somehow has managed to stay small town. Sure it has grown, but no skyscrapers yet. Lots of country, lakes, and very rarely stairs. LOLOL. (always lived on 3rd floor of an apt. bldg., so you have no idea how grateful right now for NO stairs. )

Jason, I don't know why but I just never pictured you in an area with a police station that size! I know Madison, Milwaukee would probably have them, but just never visualized you in an area of that size. Heck, have been to both Duluth & Superior, (my son went to college in Superior) and while admittedly never the cop shop, no huge bldgs that I remember.

To be fair, it's the county sheriff's office that I'm thinking of. The actual police building for our city police is a medium-sized two story (actually ground floor & basement) building about half a block in size.

One thing I've liked about these establishing shots is that they're consistent. I also liked that they used one for the new location, the abandoned brewery.

I agree Jason. I think that second or fraction thereof, is so well spent. Whoever decided to do this (Spellman-Drucker?) took the idea from the Beyond Salems, and ran with it here. Well done!

I think all the soaps did establishing shots back in the day, then over time just quit doing it. I know Days used to do it. B&B never stopped. Y&R just went back to it a little while ago. I don't know if GH does it anymore.

This is an old shot of a DiMera castle:

a97c31ade42ae4db6fcd648ff8dc0297.jpg

Back