Problems with neighbors(Long post/rant)

Jarrodlfugett

Reaction score
I don't normally post about my personal life but i need some feedback or suggestions. Ill start from the beginning. My partner and i moved to this apartment in the suburbs about 6 months ago because it was central to both our jobs and close to any kind of shopping imaginable the apartment is great but the people above us are terrible.

The day we moved in my step dad was helping me unload the moving truck when those neighbors walked up to us and said " We are your upstairs neighbors and we wanted to let you know that our children can get a little rambunctious and if they bother you let us know because the previous tenants called the office and complained and we don't want that to happen again".

So i smiled and let them know that i had lived in apartments before and was accustom to the regular daily noises but if they were too loud i would let them know. We were both pretty busy our first couple of months here so i didn't really notice the noise so much... but the first day i was able to sleep in i was awoken by a shrill scream and what sounded like 20 people jumping up and down above me, i looked over at my alarm clock and saw that it was only 8 a.m! I thought to myself that it must be sign and that i needed to get up and get some things taken care of and that this couldn't be the normal behavior of the children above me well i was wrong.

Over the next week i was treated to running, jumping, screaming and just flat out obnoxious noise so i went upstairs and let them know that their children were being way too loud and that my day didn't usually start until noon as i worked late hours the mother was very apologetic and gave me her number to call in case they were too loud. Over the next few months the noise level stayed to an acceptable level and i was once again able to sleep again until it started back again. So i started calling to remind them hey there is someone down here but one day they stopped answering so i started leaving notes on the door.

They would leave notes back apologizing but the noise continued and was even worse some days, one instance included one of the children sitting on the porch crying and screaming at the top of his lungs while banging on the porch! At that point i lost it and went up stairs and banged on the door and yelled through the door that i was tired of listening to her nuisance children and that she need to do something about it ASAP! She didn't come to the door but as i walked back down the steps i heard her slam the sliding window to the porch and a short time later her husband pulled up and they left for the day .

Again the noise paused for a while but has started up again and is just getting progressively worse(or maybe it seems that way due to lack of a proper nights sleep) so at this point im unsure of what to do should i let them know if this continues ill file a complaint to the office or should i go ahead and file a complaint? I know there is always option number 3: Move! but this is the only apartment my partner and i could agree on and i really hate moving!!

Thanks for your input! @Redsquirell I will probably file a complaint Monday even though it didn't really do anything when the last tenants complained! @rascalsmom43947 I would love to move and avoid this situation all together but its so expensive in this area, we had to pay close to 3,000.00 to move into the place we are currently living in and this is one of cheaper places!!!

Plus, you probably have a lease that isn't up for a while.

If you need to, file a complaint every time the noise escalates above a tolerable level.

My niece and her other neighbors got pay back on her next door neighbors with demons. They got together, and scheduled late night music blasts when they would all tune to the same radio station at the same time. The family finally asked to move, and the management company happily let them out of their lease just to be rid of the problems.

I would agree about filing a complaint. It seems you have abided by their request to you, all this time. You have advised them whenever there was a problem. It could be the previous tenants moved because of the problem, so the office knows this is a cause for concern.
While I realize it is difficult to keep small children still, it would appear these children are out of control. (They should be living on a first floor). And perhaps get a visit from Dr. Phil. :))) And if they are out on a balcony screaming and pounding, then other neighbors have to be aware as well.

Yes, you have been very patient, and if you have been kind enough to advise them when it has gotten out of hand, and they are avoiding your calls, or attempts to talk to them in person...then you really have no recourse. File the complaint.

By the way......someone I know used to use their broom to knock on the ceiling when the noise upstairs (usually a stereo) got too loud. LOL But it worked. Ha.

RS I love your idea about being nosy at night.

Poirot, that's a good idea about the broom too.

I wonder if they were warned if problem kept happening
they would have to move since they told you not to complain.
I would have complained sooner but I don't have a lot of
patience ;)

Jarrod I wish you luck. i know you don't want to move, but
you might have too. Have you discussed problem with your
other neighbors?

You work late, you have their phone number, use a majic jack untraceable and phone them and wake them up. I know that is not very mature, but it is the solution I used on a neighbor with a barking dog. When it woke me up, I woke them up. Count the number of times you have been awakened or disturbed during the day, and reciprocate. May not work, but the feeling of satisfaction may alleviate your aggravation.

I used to live below an amputee who would hop all the time.
They had a child that woke me up daily at 6am and ran nonstop. When I approached them they said I was trying to stunt her growth. We finally moved.

your neighbors are cra cra....go to the office immediately if not sooner....don't put this off any longer here are the reasons why.

why did those office people put you and your partner in that particular apt probably because you look nice and sweet and you wouldn't complain.....prove them wrong. if the last tenants complained only to the neighbor at first then later decided on complaining to the office the office probably thought why are they just now complaining about these people? so please don't let another week go by before you decide to go over there.....the neighbors have probably bought enough time with you and think you wont go to the office so they aren't worried, well why should YOU put up with this noise pollution? and besides these kids are apparently out of control and thats not going to change....if the office warns them and nothing changes and you keep letting the office know your not happy they won't renew their lease.

Thanks for all of your support! Ive really been on the fence as to what to do because there are children involved but i guess im not doing them any favors by allowing their poor behavior to continue!

deleted unnecessary quote...JS

it's the fault of the apt association to put 2 quiet working people under a pre-school filled with noisey kids....i love child a lot but when i'm home the last thing i want to hear is other peoples unruley rug rats enjoying bowling practice. Besides, their parents need a reality check. Imagine dining next to them....oh the horrah

You need to put in writing that you have repeatadly ask for them to keep the noise level down. send a text if you can , a certified letter would be great. complain to the manegar ASAP and don't just complain once talk to the office every day if you have to!!!
Good luck

Jarrod there are children involved and it's up to the parents to keep them in control.
I don't understand why the parents aren't doing their job.

Like Sunny said I would hate to near them if they go out to eat. I wonder how
the kids behave when they are with other children.

I wouldn't retaliate with noise of my own, then I might be the one getting complaints against me. I'd go through the proper channels, management. It should be their responsibility. Check for clauses in your lease about noise, too. That might give you some ammo with management.

Oh, and I thought about checking your lease for complaint/grievance procedures, too. Maybe there is something there saying how you should go about this. Everything in writing, too, certified mail is best, usually. You want to know someone recieved your letter, proof. Then they will have a harder time trying to get off the hook and let things slide. You have been patient so far, but talking to your neighbors obviously isn't working. Keep your cool, and make yourself the reasonable one in the eyes of management. You can't change the neighbors, obviously. Read that lease carefully for anything you can use.

We frequent the same grocery store and they act the same out in public! When they see me they lower their heads ir act like they dont see me! lol. Well today i was on a conference call with my boss and her boss and those kids started jumping up and down and one of them asked if i was at a park or playground, i was so embarrased! I put them on mute and got up on the arm of my sofa and beat the heck out the ceiling the noise stopped... for a while anyway. I was really expecting them to come down or something, theyll probably leave a note later.

Back