Rapid fire movement to Northern VA... (Need help and input)

Wayne

WebHamster
Reaction score
THE JOB

To bring you up to speed on the drama that is my life, several months ago, I went home to Huntsville, interviewed for a job, and subsequently declined the offer. Speaking to my boss at the time, he couldn't positively affirm that the contract I was on was stable, but -- since I have a habit of riding the ship down and I loved the job I had -- I decided to stick with it. Since that day, my boss retired and a new one began his reign, which is the only way to describe the resulting horror...

Following that change, I did drop several dozen applications for jobs on USAJobs (Government jobs). About 2 months ago now, I did a phone interview for one of them. I suck at phone interviews, lemme tell you... I left the interview firmly believing I had blown it, as we ended up having more of a personal conversation about everything from fly fishing to motorcycling than about work.

Flash Forward to Monday Night...

{Int: Denny's Restaurant, 6pm, Wayne sitting at a booth eating a salad, the phone rings}

Caller: Hi, this is <name> from the SBA, several months ago, you interviewed with us for a position and we would like to make you a tentative offer.

Me: I'd like to accept a tentative offer.

Caller: Great, I'm sending paperwork.

By 8pm, I had a firm -- and accepted -- job offer in hand for a job I'd forgotten about applying for and all but written off interviewing for...

Yay!

BRINGETH THE DRAMA!!!

On June 9th, I bought a round-trip plane ticket for my standard 3-month trip to Huntsville for the 16th of July to check on the house through Travelocity. I even bought the $25 "Trip protection plan"...

It suddenly occurs to me that with less than three weeks to go to DC, find an apartment, pack, clean my apartment, and move, that there's no way in <bleep> I would be able to take off an entire weekend for the trip home, so...

Yesterday, I call Travelocity to invoke the "trip protection plan" and cancel the trip. First call rep hangs up on me... Second rep stonewalls me. Manager tells me that I have to deal with some third party company to get a number to "apply a credit" for the trip, which -- btw -- still comes with a $190 fee to allow me to rebook another flight using the credit from the first... Their rules basically say that if I'm not dead, injured or dying or I'm not on Military Orders, they don't legally have to refund anything. Buyer Beware I guess.

Long story short, I've got three weeks during which I'm working, to pack, clean, and move to Northern VA, and thanks to the scam company called Travelocity, I'm also out $385 for a trip they REFUSE TO HONOR THEIR INSURANCE POLICY FOR.

I need input from anyone who lives in Northern Virginia (Reston area to be precise) as to apartments, commute issues, and ideas about living in that area. I know there are a couple of readers here who are local to it, but I've never been there, so please help with any input if possible

the guys here have me convinced I'm not going to be able to find a suitable apartment for less than $3000/month which has me totally freaked the bleep out....

The bright side of it all is that I'll finally live near an IKEA, and anyone who knows me, knows what an IKEA *bleep* I really am... :)

Wayne

Hmmph... It dawns on me that I don't believe I have EVER -- in about 28 years of working -- left a job on my own, mid-stream to take another job. Maybe that's why I'm freaked out...

Have you talked to Beth? She probably would have more info. She is on Facebook with you, I believe.

Oh my, so many changes in such a short time. It sounds like you're leaving the other job at the right time - before the whole place goes under.

Wayne, my niece said if you can live one town west of Reston that Sterling, VA has some really nice apartments starting around $1000 per month.

LOL, I thought I was the only IKEA *bleep* around here!!! Love, love, love IKEA. My closest one is by the Pittsburgh (PA) airport.

My niece just sent another text-------There are studio apartments in Reston starting at $1125.

My goodness Wayne! You have had quite a bit going on!

So glad that you were able to get a different job before anything could happen at the old one.

I don't know anything about the area but I wish you luck & will add you to my prayers that all works out for the best!

OMG, studio apts starting at $1125.00??? Down here you can get a 3 rooms, balcony, pool, laundry room & sometimes exercise room etc for $650

Location, location, location... :)

Thanks Shirley, I'm headed up there tomorrow afternoon to begin my search, and Sterling sounds like the right place to start.. Will check it out.

Wayne

Wow Wayne when you make a life change you jump right into the fire. My suggestion would be to get yourself a real estate rental agent and let them do some of the work for you. If you can get a month to month or as short of a lease as possible so you can decide if that is where you really want to live. Good luck on your adventure.

I have a friend who lives in Sterling. Here are her thoughts:

Reston is close to me...about 10-15 minutes away. Its closer in towards the Beltway than I am, but still well outside it. Its a semi-congested area...there's a lot of businesses and tech companies there, and its along the "Dulles Corridor". Along the access road from the airport inward towards Tyson's Corner and DC. Cost of living is probably comparable to where I'm at. High compared to most of the rest of the country, but not as bad as further in towards DC (nowhere near as bad as Arlington or Alexandria, for example). As far as cost of apartments, I really don't have a good idea on that...its going to depend on the size. I'd figure starting around $800 for a small one-bedroom, going up from there depending on size, amenities, and location. I know several years ago, it was more like $1000 a month starting, but I think it may have gone down just a touch since then. Townhomes comparable to mine (two bedroom, garage) appear to be renting out for between $1500-$2200 a month, depending on the location. Reston's going to be getting Metro here in about a year or two. That will make things more convenient in some ways, but I'm betting housing costs will go up, then, too, especially at locations near the Metro stops. People around here will pay a premium to be walking distance from Metro. There's lots of decent restaurants, shopping, and some nightlife there in Reston. It was started as sort of a planned community back in the late 70s/early 80s, I think. So its laid out pretty well. Traffic is...traffic. It all depends on whether they'd be living and working in Reston, or commuting elsewhere (and which direction the commute would be). I know some people that used to live there, and they were happy with the location.

Good luck to you!

So, welcome to the neighborhood - I love in Sterling and work in Reston. You will enjoy this area, but it is expensive. I own my townhouse, so I am not sure about apartments, but I would think you will have a hard time finding something under $1000, but I could be wrong. You won't have any problem going to or from work if you stay in this area - Herndon is another one community over place to look. It takes me about 15 minutes to go door to door to work in the morning (although I do leave early), but it is an easy drive. I have NEVER driven to DC, but do use the metro for that. But, if you are going to be working in Reston, you will be fine. Lots of restaurants and shopping. Keep us posted!

deleted unnecessary quote....Poirot

I may have messed up, but the position is in Herndon, not Reston. I'm looking at everything from Manassas to Sterling to Centerville. I'd like to keep the commute to about 30 minutes if possible, but I'd even consider commuting from Woodbridge (IKEAtown) if the apartment/price were right.

About the apartment, I have two concerns. 1) A garage for the motorcycle and 2) my cats.

I realize how ridiculous it sounds to pay this much rent, but I'm looking for anything below $1700, garage included.

Hi Shirley,

I actually looked at that location, but they were really tiny apartments. The 1 bedroom seemed more like an efficiency because it had a fireplace in the middle, separating the two small rooms. I finally gave up and got an apartment around the corner near Dulles. Expensive, but everything there is.

Wayne

Wayne,
So glad you found something that you liked that was big enough and reasonable enough. Prices are just high every where!!!. Good luck and congratulations on the new job!
Big Hugs to you and your Cats.
joan

congrats on the new job, I work in the cc area but normally stay around Rockville or traveling home to FL for the weekends. it is more expensive in the DC area

Back