Ratings Report for the Week of March 30 – April 3, 2015

cryin4days

Reaction score
The headline of this week's ratings report: Days of our Lives' Continues to Tumble

Numbers are based on Live+Same Day ratings
(Compared to Last Week/Compared to Last Year)

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,701,000 (-102,000/+127,000)
2. B&B 3,665,000 (+77,000/+130,000)
3. GH 2,962,000 (+198,000/+110,000)
4. DAYS 2,197,000 (-73,000/-237,000)

Households
1. Y&R 3.41/11 (-.06/+.02)
2. B&B 2.68/9 (+.01/+.03)
3. GH 2.2/7 (+.13/+.06)
4. DAYS 1.64/5 (-.06/-.19) <—— ties low *

Women 18-49 Viewers
1. Y&R 837,000 (+84,000/+40,000)
2. B&B 645,000 (+37,000/+28,000)
3. GH 551,000 (+70,000/-126,000)
4. DAYS 435,000 (-9,000/-138,000)

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.31/10 (+.13/+.06)
2. B&B 1.01/7 (+.06/+.05)
3. GH 0.86/6 (+.11/-.2)
4. DAYS 0.68/5 (-.01/-.22) <—— ties low * (4th straight week)

Women 18-34 Viewers
1. Y&R 192,000 (+4,000/-25,000)
2. GH 173,000 (+7,000/-65,000)
3. B&B 171,000 (-6,000/+18,000)
4. DAYS 108,000 (-3,000/-55,000)

Women 18-34 Rating
1. Y&R 0.57 (+.02/-.07)
2. GH 0.51 (+.02/-.19)
3. B&B 0.5 (-.02/+.05)
4. DAYS 0.32 (-.01/-.16) <—— ties low * (4th straight week)

DAYS
Monday: 1.85/2,457,000
Tuesday: 1.70/2,351,000
Wednesday: 1.59/2,112,000
Thursday: 1.49/2,038,000
Friday: 1.55/2,027,000

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2015/04/ratings-days-continues-to-tumble

Monday: 1.85/2,457,000
Eve comforts Theresa, who’s feeling lonely and emotional but isn’t exactly sure why. She knows it can’t just be about Clint leaving. Meanwhile, Melanie renews her promise to Brady to stay out of Theresa's business. She then confides to Maggie her suspicion that Brady's attack and Theresa's pregnancy scare are somehow linked. Maggie gets a call from Sarah, and Melanie remembers her grandmother was once a surrogate - and this privately sparks a crazy theory. At the same time, a mystery woman holds her newborn baby far away from Salem. Will blasts Paul when he finds him with Sonny, accusing him of making excuses to stay in town. Their argument is interrupted by John, who confirms all three guys will be at the benefit. John notes it’s the same day as Sonny and Will's first wedding anniversary. After John and Paul leave, Sonny slams Will for focusing on Paul's motives instead of Will's own mistakes. Meanwhile, Adrienne and Lucas discuss their sons' marital discord, and things get a little testy. Later, Paul expresses his remorse to Adrienne, while Sonny learns from Chad that it was Paul's blood that saved his life. At the same time, Will prepares an article exposing Paul as a DiMera. Kate stokes Ben's jealousy of Chad by suggesting that the young DiMera is now free to pursue Abigail now that Jordan is gone. Meanwhile, Chad makes a connection with his old flame when he shares some quotes he found about Jack's book. Later, Ben's pride is wounded when Abigail seems to be avoiding giving him an answer about moving in together. He flares when he sees Chad emailed Abigail the quotes and makes a hurtful remark to Abigail about EJ. Kate complains to Lucas about Stefano's treachery, but Lucas calls her on her own machinations. He’s appalled when he realizes she may have her eye on his job.

Tuesday: 1.70/2,351,000
Eve meets up with Cole, plotting to break up JJ and Paige in a way that keeps her hands clean. Later, Cole approaches Paige and tells her even if she’s back with JJ, he’d like to remain friends. Meanwhile, JJ reluctantly goes to Daniel, who seeks confirmation of his suspicions. JJ finally admits he slept with Eve. But he also makes it clear he wants to be with Paige, which means keeping the truth from her. Serena meets up with Xander, and they talk about their past relationship - which Serena now regrets. It led to her helping him smuggle diamonds. She refuses to hand over the stash until he guarantees her cut and Eric’s safety. Nicole happens upon them and is surprised they know each other. Xander again flirts with Nicole. Earlier, Nicole and Daniel can’t see eye-to-eye, and Daniel still feels he can’t trust her. Will downplays his problems with Sonny to Rafe. Meanwhile, Sonny thanks Paul for donating blood when he was stabbed. Paul explains he didn’t tell Sonny because he didn’t want him feeling he owed Paul anything. Tori arrives, making her disapproval clear. When Sonny goes, she tells her son he has to let go of Sonny. As they talk, Paul realizes his mom has met Will... and wants to know just how that happened. At the same time, Sonny comes home to Will, who makes a show of not being threatened when Sonny admits he’d gone to see Paul. Will learns Paul saved Sonny’s life, and his private mistrust of Paul only intensifies. Ben apologizes to Abigail for making the snide comment about EJ. Ben admits he felt threatened by Chad and was jealous he and Abigail connected over her father’s book. It’s still tense as they part, but they both want things to work out.

Wednesday: 1.59/2,112,000
Will tells Lucas he’s determined to go ahead with the article revealing Paul is actually a DiMera unless Paul leaves town. Lucas warns his son it will backfire. Meanwhile, Paul wants to know what Tori and Will discussed. Tori covers, not revealing Will’s threat. She encourages her son to leave Salem and start building the next chapter in his life. Paul agrees to leave after the benefit tonight. Meanwhile, Rafe connects with Sonny, and advises him to work out whatever problems he’s having with Will - for Arianna’s sake. At the square, everyone gathers to set up for the charity benefit. Marlena makes a surprising discovery when she gets an accidental peek at Will’s tablet and sees the article he’s working on about Paul. She’s horrified to learn he’s blackmailing Paul’s mother. Will assures her the truth doesn’t have to come out so long as Paul leaves town tonight. But as he says this, Paul gets roped into staying a few extra days to help out with another charity function. When Tori hears Paul’s plans, she panics and tries to explain to Will. As they argue, John walks in on them and recognizes Tori. Lucas is angry with Adrienne for not telling him about Paul and Sonny’s past relationship. They go back and forth before realizing there’s no point in arguing. A vulnerable Adrienne reveals Justin confirmed he’d been having an affair and so far as she knows, he’s gone back to Dubai to resume it. At least it makes her feel less guilty about... the feelings she’s been having. She and Lucas come together in a kiss - and it’s clear they won’t stop there. Chad thanks Stefano for helping him plant the quotes about Jack’s book - it succeeded in making Abigail see him in a better light. At the benefit, Hope sees Chad and Abigail in a friendly moment, and she gives Chad a warning. Melanie runs into Theresa and might reveal the suspicions she’s having about Theresa’s pregnancy, but they end up fighting so Melanie keeps it to herself. By chance, Melanie learns some plasma Theresa donated previously is still in storage at the hospital... and an idea forms as she realizes it may hold the answers she’s seeking to end this mystery.

Thursday: 1.49/2,038,000
John and Aiden’s fundraiser for underprivileged kids is in full swing, and while Ciara and Chase have fun, Aiden and Hope share a little romance. Chad and Abigail bond, and Ben surprises Abigail by not getting upset. Theo wants a play date with Chad and Abigail and gets upset when Chad suggests his nephew go with Abigail and Ben instead. Abe calms Theo down. Abigail and Ben reconcile, much to Chad’s dismay. After Will realizes John might be Paul’s father, he deletes the article on Paul and tells Marlena he’s seen the light. Later, John tells Marlena he ran into Tori - he had a one-night stand with her years ago when Kristen married Tony and Marlena was working things out with Roman. Marlena’s wheels begin to turn and she calls Will on the real reason he deleted his article - not because it was none of his business, but because Paul isn’t a DiMera, he’s really John’s child! Sonny sees how great Paul is with the kids and is affected. The kids attack Sonny and Paul with water guns. The guys go back to Sonny’s office to change shirts and find themselves in a charged moment. Adrienne and Lucas make love for the first time. Afterwards, they decide to keep this to themselves for now... especially considering Will and Sonny are having marital problems.

Friday: 1.55/2,027,000
Marlena realizes Paul is John’s son, and she is determined to tell him the truth. However, Will begs her to reconsider. At the same time, Paul and Sonny reminisce about their past. The two men share a close moment, which John witnesses. Later, John has arranged for many of Sonny and Will’s family and friends to toast their anniversary at the square. A reporter from The Spectator shows up and lobs some hard questions at Will. It’s revealed in an ugly way that Will and Paul had an affair, and all hell breaks loose. Victor angrily rips into Will. Will and Sonny return home, and Will worries he’ll lose his job once the reporter publishes his story. Irked Sonny can’t believe that’s all Will’s worried about and goes to bed alone. Paul returns to Tori and tells her the secret of his affair is out. John can’t believe how Paul preyed on Will and Sonny, and he tells Marlena he’s happy Paul’s gone for good. Marlena is hit, knowing about Paul’s paternity. Adrienne and Lucas’ day of love ends abruptly after the reporter exposes the secret at Will and Sonny’s toast. Adrienne fears what she and Lucas have done is just as bad. Lucas promises to keep their affair a secret, but Adrienne frets it will come out eventually. Earlier, Clyde urges Kate to get back on the horse, and he asks Victor to give her a job. Victor plays it cool and says he doesn’t have anything for her. Maggie turns on the charm for both Clyde and Kate. Victor calls her on this and Maggie reveals it’s just for show - she’s being nice because she thought it was what Victor wanted. She warns him not to do anything stupid. Ben puts Chad on notice, but Chad continues to play a subtle mind game, which gets the desired effect from Abigail.

http://www.nbc.com/days-of-our-lives

I'm just glad we only have a couple more months until the new writers material hits the air. Until then, I have a feeling we're going to see whatever & whomever the previous regime wanted to see & write for since they must have known at that point, that they were on the way out the door. I'm patient, but the new writers have their work cut out for them no doubt. Their biggest opportunity - viewers who haven't watched in a while and new viewers who are curious & looking for a new soap - is the 50th. I know they're starting it before the actual anniversary & it will stretch past it, but the storylines need to be compelling & fast-paced with stuff happening on-screen rather than off, and the characters need to be either ones we know & love, or new characters that we're getting to know and figure out how we feel about them, rather than we're just bored by them & tolerating them.

Does that make sense cause I've had 2 cups of coffee & I'm used to just one so I'm kind caffienated right now...

The ratings are only as good as the writing, wardrobe, sets, etc and everything about this show is crap! In another couple of weeks the total viewers should be below 2 million, if they continue to lose viewers like they have in the past weeks! The ship is sinking fast!

And we certainly can see why the writers and that producer were let go. Just a shame the suits and higher ups did not do something sooner. Their shooting schedule only makes it all worse, since they cannot "fix" anything. It takes 5-6 months before the attempts to rectify the disasters are visible to the viewers.

We know the numbers are going continue to drop before the new writers material airs in Aug/Sept. but can they really afford let these ratings drop so low for another few months? I can see the higher ups making a decision to cancel the show soon at this rate. I still think a flash forward would be the best way to save the show.

This is what you get when you let your best actors leave, Days. You hit rock bottom. (Or IS this rock bottom?)

Something has to be done. The taping schedule's going to kill them. It already is. Not to mention they're losing me as a viewer once again when Molly Burnett (Melanie) leaves, unless Peter Reckell (Bo) and Stephen Nichols (Patch) are back by that time.

This show needs a BIG overhaul. It's getting one, but I get the feeling it needs more.

You know, the show has absolutely no control over an actor's decision to leave. They are not "letting" the actors leave......the actors are choosing to pursue other avenues.
It is interesting in the SOD anniversary issue, in interviews, how many of the actors cited that "they were young, wanted to see what else was out there, try something else" as THEIR reason for leaving.

Why blame the show because an actor decides not to renew, or returns only if they can have a short time span? Yes, there are a few actors who were written out, and it sure felt like a big mistake. (Jack & Patch, am looking at you!)Just am glad they were not around to have their character destroyed as so many have the past few years.

I think the show really cannot afford to discard all the material already filmed. But they sure do need to slow down their filming schedule. Let's hope some additional editing has been done, pushing story into a different direction.

To clarify, Poirot: The decisions of the last three years, many of which were boneheaded, are coming back to haunt Days. Not so much the actors that chose to leave, like Molly Burnett (Melanie), Freddie Smith (Sonny) and Chandler Massey (Will)... I'm talking like you are.

Firing Matthew Ashford (Jack). Letting Peter Reckell (Bo) get away. Marginalizing pretty much all of the long-time favorites in favor of pointless newbies.

Bringing over actors from other soaps like Chrishell Stause (Jordan) and Melissa Archer (Serena), only to make their characters totally pointless.

Destroying the supercouples just to prove a point to the viewers. Gary Tomlin's flip-off to the long-time fans, telling us we don't count anymore.

Look closely, Days. We're the ones who turned off our TV sets. You need to get us back. So far you're doing a good job of showing there will be changes. Now you have to keep at it.

For anyone who complains the show is going back to the past, it has to. It won't see 51 if major changes aren't made.

Saw some of the comments, but refuse to look any further. Saying that being gay is immoral, yet being fine with a rapist and his victim, is just plain hypocrisy and nonsense, and I will not get my blood pressure up after such a good day. The reasons for the ratings slipping is not for the loss of EJ & Sami OR the Will & Sonny things, but for the lack of airtime for vets and other fan favorites (like Nicole and Rafe), unbelievable (Kristen embryo) or pointless (Jordan) storylines, too many evil people, and slow-moving "romances" (Eric & Serena). The show focuses too much on the "sex sells" stuff (Eve & JJ) as well, and it turns viewers off.

One of the primary reasons for the ratings being so bad the past 6 months is not because Sami and EJ are no longer on the show; it's because the writers did not have a plan in place after putting all their focus on them for the previous 9-12 months. So, if people say the ratings tanked because the Golden Couple is no longer on, there is a nugget (see what I did there? :wink:) of truth to that. However, it's not because the show was necessarily better because of them. The writers/TPTB decided (ignorantly) that newbies, ridiculous, boring, or slow-pace storylines would work. Like others have said, their shooting schedule is the primary factor here. Just imagine if they were a mere 3 months ahead in taping...we would actually be seeing improvement next month, or at least June! Instead we have to wait until August (more likely September). I'm sure I'm not the only one who has given consideration to taking a Days hiatus until then. I really don't see the ratings improving at all over then next 4 months.

The ratings are going to continue to tank...especially when Summer comes around. I hate to be negative but I think the writing is on the wall here that the show will most likely not last past 2016. Even when the new writing begins it is going to take some time to get some momentum. I really think it is too late...NOW is the time to make things happen.

I think the only thing they could do now would be to re-edit everything they have ready-to-air and scrap what's not working, and on Fridays or Mondays (or maybe both depending on how much they edit out) air classic episodes - weddings, births, etc. And even that might not be feasible due to the cost of paying people to sit & edit stuff out as well as try to figure out legalities & such for the classic episodes they might want to showcase.

It's a sticky wicket & I'm afraid there's no way to fix it. The taping schedule looks great on paper, but right now, it's being proven that in the long run, it's simply not as cost-effective as they expected it to be. Maybe instead of taping 10 shows a week (or however many - I'm not sure), they can cut back to 8 shows a week, then go down to 2 or 3 and take a few more dark weeks until things catch up & they're only 5-7 weeks out, which would be a heck of a lot better to work with for all concerned. Actors in interviews would remember what they're doing & be able to answer questions better, storylines/characters that aren't cutting it could be re-thought... *sigh* I just wish Ken Corday & whomever else would recognize the issue and fix it instead of just dismissing it out of hand.

Back