SPOILER !! Returning actor (Joseph Mascolo/Stefano)

Oh, I am so excited we get to see Joseph Mascolo (Stefano) one more time. Honestly, I wasn't sure how I felt about this storyline knowing he passed away. But perhaps this means the writers were given a chance to give him a proper goodbye from Salem or something. I'm curious to see how it plays out and very happy we get to see him on screen one more time.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I will really enjoy seeing the last few scenes with Joe Mascolo (Stefano), hearing that he died from complications of Alzheimer's, I wonder if he was up to the job to film these scenes?

I will go with the faith that the crew and actors would not harm the man they had come to love over the years. But I must admit elder abuse was the first thing that entered my mind when I read this news.
I'll be glad to see Stefano, too but, at the same time, I guess I'm not the only one who wondered about this. An Alzheimer's patient who nears end of life would never be lucid enough to perform in any job, much less something like this, that leaned so much on memory. Memory of lines, memory that in front of the camera you are a character which in and of itself has many layers and complications. Joe Mascolo (Stefano) passed away the beginning of December and if the show followed their normal filming schedule of 4 months it put filming of Stefano's final scenes the beginning of August. No way would that have been possible.

If they used the "6 months ahead" time frame, that backed it up to May 2016, still too late. The only possibility I can think of is that Days filmed this a year ago, when Joe Mascolo would still have been lucid and coherent enough to do it.

I'm certainly not surprised but glad this is finally confirmed. This will probably also be the episode that they dedicate to his memory.

Yes, that's my guess too. Now we know why one wasn't done yet. They announced they are holding the "in memory" to Miguel Ferrer on NCIS: LA until March 5. He still has another episode or two to air, so I guess they are doing the same thing there, until his character's storyline is finished airing.

I'll be glad to see Stefano, too but, at the same time, I guess I'm not the only one who wondered about this. An Alzheimer's patient who nears end of life would never be lucid enough to perform in any job, much less something like this, that leaned so much on memory. Memory of lines, memory that in front of the camera you are a character which in and of itself has many layers and complications. Joe Mascolo (Stefano) passed away the beginning of December and if the show followed their normal filming schedule of 4 months it put filming of Stefano's final scenes the beginning of August. No way would that have been possible.

If they used the "6 months ahead" time frame, that backed it up to May 2016, still too late. The only possibility I can think of is that Days filmed this a year ago, when Joe Mascolo (Stefano) would still have been lucid and coherent enough to do it.

I can only speak for the lines, but he didn't memorize his lines for the last few years. They brought back cue cards so he could just look at them and read them.

Indeed. I had noticed that (no disrespect to the actor of course). But I could clearly see that Mr Mascolo (Stefano) was looking at cue cards when he was speaking.

I really wish NBC would promote this episode. I bet they'd get a ratings boost. So many people were commenting on social media on his obituary posts. I bet they'd love to watch his final episode too.

In many scenes, in the last few months he appeared, Stefano said nothing, Andre spoke for him. And, at the time, Days was filming 6 mos. ahead. This is why they took the 2 mos. off in Nov/Dec. (not that they aren't already catching back up to that schedule. )

And yes, Stefano had been using cue cards for quite a while. I think the scenes when he was shot by Hope.......Extremely well done by him. So, they filmed scenes to be used much later in the "Prague" story. Good for them, & blessings to Joe Mascolo (Stefano) who agreed to do so, and made the effort.

Back