Sami Brady has left the building! Finally!

Yay!! I can start watching the show again! I must admit I stopped watching when it was apparent they were going down the Sami EJ route. I couldn't stomach it. But now that they are both gone....I can reprogram my DVR!! I hate what they did Sami's character, who yes, as always been a twit... but they took things too far. Hopefully when I start watching again I can remember the Days I loved for so long:)

I can't help but wonder if Peggy McCay (Caroline) or Suzanne Rogers (Maggie) decided to leave Days of their own accord, if they would receive an equal 'long good-bye? It was obvious to me that the Hollywood movie storyline exit for Ali Sweeney (Sami) was another example of NBC's favouritism towards this actress. I fully expected her last scene would be a long gaze out at the viewers accompanied by the words "Don't worry Salem, I'll be back!!!"

Now I'm praying the writers will get on with other stories and get John, Marlena and specifically RAFE front and centre on my TV screen!!!:love:

I doubt seriously Maggie or Caroline would get a big exit........they are rarely onscreen. I also hope John and Marlena get more screen time, but not Rafe so much....not unless they totally change his character and personality to someone more interesting.

Why all this rhetorical animosity regarding the hype Alison Sweeney's (Sami) departure is garnering from the Days' production team? She's been a key player since she was, what, 16- a mainstay character.

We've watched this actor grow Sami from a juvenile through several relationships and marriages (more dramas than any other character, but I'm certain someone out there has counted, so I'm not going to make any bets) to the woman she is now. Sami has become, at least to TPTB, Days' leading lady. I think much has to do with how much "promoting" Alison has done (especially in this past decade) in her free time for the show. This is Days' way of giving her some payback.

And no, Sami hasn't been my favorite. I was (am) an EJ/Sami fan- always will think of them fondly. But it was EJ I adored and wanted what he wanted- which was Sami. As for Sami: She was my least favorite on Days. After years on the show, I still didn't favor her character.

I wish her all the best.

edited to add character name.. and removed comments pertaining to actress...JS

Because other characters have been on just as long and the actors were just as much team players as Alison Sweeney (Sami) and when they left after decades, they certainly didn't get this type of send-off. Some departures were barely noted; it was now you see them, now you don't. Others got, at best, a one day goodbye.
I think much has to do with how much "promoting" Alison has done (especially in this past decade) in her free time for the show.
Most interviews I've seen with Alison Sweeney (Sami), prior to the past few months, she's barely said a word about Days. It's always been to promote Biggest Loser, her Lifetime movie, her books, her fitness routine, her new toothpaste commercials, etc. I rarely heard her out there going "rah-rah-rah, Days Days Days".

I cannot recall a single major Days character who was given the kind of "goodbye" scenes, flashbacks, etc, that Sami Brady has had. Not Jack, not Steve, not Lexie, not Bo... all of whom were characters on the show for years.
Peter Reckell said he was leaving, gave them plenty of notice, and all he got was a walk out the door with a wink and a smile.
Jack didn't begin as a teenager nor did he stay continuously; his character came and went. Lexie came in as an adult; she was the fifth actor to play Lexie and she played Lexie 19 years.
Bo Brady. Peter Reckell began the role in 1983 and left it in 1987. Returned in 1992 and left again in 1992 and was replaced by Robert Kelker-Kelly for three years. He returned in 1995 and declined to renew his contract in 2012.
Although Steve (Patch) and Kayla had one of the "legendary" love stories" of the times they aired, I don't think that constitutes his deserving a sendoff- especially considering Days might have something planned for his character. Have they said he's "gone for good"?

And by promoting, I said (read what I wrote, please) "during the past decade." By that I meant while she was still working on Days.

edited to fix quote....JS

Well, then, we're not seeing the same websites or news stories. I've (since I'm "invested in EJ/Sami" and was waiting patiently) watched, waited and searched faithfully for any and all Ms. Sweeney has had to say publicly regarding Days and to my way of thinking she's "promoted" Days elaborately. Of course, she's a good business woman and does promote all of her endeavors, as well.

However anyone wants to see her sendoff, I myself feel it's in line with her ... standing on the show, and I wish her nothing but good fortune.

Well, then, we're not seeing the same websites or news stories.
Apparently.

With Sami's departure from Salem, Alison Sweeney has been more vocal about her time on Days, but that's a fairly recent thing for her. Prior to the big build-up of Sami's send-off, Alison barely mentioned Days in interviews.

I think one of the problems (my opinion only) is that even if the actress had stayed for 50 years, Sami Brady should never have been a major lead, much less shoved down viewers throats (if they actually watched) as THE primary face of the show while better characters/actors were placed in the background (or off the show).

Days was never enjoyable for me after the people in charge (whether at NBC or Days) decided to ignore and skew history in their attempts to make her a flawed lead heroine (flawed absolutely, but definitely not lead or heroine material), as well as make her sick and twisted abuser her male lead. Yes, many other characters have come and gone (sometimes on their own, sometimes as a production decision), but many were more beloved than Sami Brady or Daniel Jonas (who also got a huge farewell), both of which were treated as the most special and loved people ever for their supposedly short absences.

Every person that Sami wronged was once again there for her when she deserved no one but Harold, and him only to shut and lock the door behind her. I would have much preferred Daniel went to mail a letter and Sami went upstairs, both never to be seen again, which is the same farewell some characters/actors I actually loved to watch were sent off the show.

I think some people (at least myself) frankly got tired of waiting to see other characters and may now not have any interest in seeing them after this extended period of time. To me it's like trying to decide whether to contact old college friends that you absolutely loved during your time together, but really don't know well since you haven't kept in touch for many years and who you're not sure you will even like (in this case, thanks to the people in charge and the way stories and characters are currently written).

With so many new people coming in just in time for November sweeps, there's also a decision as to whether to invest any time whatsoever in characters that you don't know and that will no doubt eat up air time (meaning once again, favorites are likely to have less air time). I don't have any confidence that the writers will suddenly be able to write better stories just because they have new people to write for.

Well, let me say that over the past years, maybe 8 or so, I have seen Alison Sweeney on various shows. I happened to get both the east and west coast NBC stations, so I have seen local talk shows there. Plus appearances on other daytime talk shows. Kelly & Regis, Kathi Lee & Hoda, and it has been commented on here by many posters, on twitter, and on other boards, that 95% of the time, it was mostly to talk about Biggest Loser, her books, that Hallmark movie, and rarely a mention of Days. The last year or so, yes, she has talked about Days, and given interviews about the show as well. Heck, last night I watched the Queen Latifa show. Alison Sweeney was a guest, and while she talked for a few minutes about yesterday being her last day on Days, the entire rest of the visit had to do with Biggest Loser, as it usually does. I don't check twitter very often, but when I have, she has usually been tweeting about healthy foods, Biggest Loser. Yes, the past several months she has done a lot of nostalgia talk via Facebook & Twitter, but prior to that, I have to say it really was annoying to have Ali avoid any mention of Days when she appeared on talk shows.

I am glad she has so many projects going for her, and has spread her wings to see what else is out there that might interest her. Nothing wrong with a nice send off. Days gave her one. Comments are only that other long time cast members did not fare that well.

John Clarke (Mickey), Frances Reid (Alice) and MacDonald Carey (Tom) were all on the show over 40 years and I don't recall any of them getting this level of send off. They were all just as deserving if not more so than Alison Sweeney (Sami).

I am finally relieved that the two show hogs are off of the air. While I would like to see an ensemble show and more focus on the veterans, I am afraid that as usual, TIIC will focus on Daniel and some of the new characters coming on, and the ones we barely see now will remain in the background.

I began watching Days in 1965, during the summer, at a friend's house where they had a new color TV. I always thought then, and even now, that a better choice for the main young ingenue role that Sami got would have been her screen best friend, Jamie. Sami may have had a bit of a heart, a tad of sentimentality, and a huge load of immaturity over the years. She became though, for the most part, stupid and annoying. Jamie seemed more intelligent and together; that character had plenty of potential.

By the way, I believe she ended up marrying Robert Kelker Kelley (former Bo). They are both out of show business, I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

edited to add character name....JS

Back