Site status and a quick poll, 4/28/20

Hey Kat,

I did some research and the cookie issue is apparently caused by your browser not accepting cookies. Maybe you, or an ad blocker or something have them blocked???

So, it's not asking you to click something to accept cookies, it's saying that you have to alter your settings to allow them.

Wayne

Thanks, for the update. This is the first day it's done that, but when I open
the browser again it's fixed for awhile. Computers can so annoying

I went to the link and at the bottom it had something pop up to accept
cookies. I did that. I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Time for bed

Thanks. I knew when we got the updated software installed, it would look different and have the "default" theme loaded. I just never imagined how many people were "locked" onto the old theme. I wish I could have done a better job of documenting the former site, but I was just so focused on getting it upgraded and getting the security things fixed that the old look/feel never really occurred to me.

There is still lots to do, such as fix the color used when you highlight text in this very post editor, but we'll get there.

{edit: Fixed that}. :)

Thanks for your, and everyone else's patience.

Last edited:
Wayne, I fixed my computer to accept cookies, but I'm still having a problem.

If I use a link to go to a topic already started, I can post. If I start a topic or go
to a topic without a link, I get the cookie message. I have to close browser
and try again. So far, it works that way. I hope this would be helpful in
trying to figure out the problem. Thanks

Kat, It might help Wayne to know which browser you are using.

The trouble with the new posts was only happening to me in Chrome, but not Firefox.

So it may be an issue with your browser other than a just a cookie thing

I have the problem with cookies if I don't specify that I want https://www.salemspectator etc. My computer naturally defaults to the old, un-secure site version no matter how I enter it. So I bookmarked the page to try to get it to remember that, and have been entering through the bookmark. When I enter the secure site, it does not yell at me about cookies. (And I have very un-restrictive settings and see many many ads.)

Edited to add: I hope this helps some people, it is not a problem for me. I can get my browser re-trained and am slowly deleting anything that links to the old site. :)

Last edited:
Yesterday, when I turned on my laptop (Windows 8) got the cookie thing 1st time. WAS surprised, never happened before, even the day before. And I had to log in (I never log out) so I did not remember password, been so long. LOL Was very strange. But then, the laptop is dying, so who knows.

Kat, It might help Wayne to know which browser you are using.

The trouble with the new posts was only happening to me in Chrome, but not Firefox.

So it may be an issue with your browser other than a just a cookie thing

I'm using Chrome too. It's not happening anywhere, but here.
Does anyone know if Chrome has been updated?

Maybe it was, which is why my laptop (also Chrome) suddenly is uncooperative.

Here is a link about Chrome updates this week, but I have no idea what it all means.

That must be part of the problem. Chrome has some wonky security settings anyway.

For example, I can no longer login to any Disqus board from my Chromebook, but no trouble from Firefox on my desktop.

So that this isn't the only site effected. It must be whatever they did in the update. A setting must have been changed. There's probably nothing Wayne can do.

And the problem is odd how can it be explained. I'm glad I'm not the
only one having issues with it. I was getting upset about it.

I just never imagined how many people were "locked" onto the old theme.
For me, I've realized this past week part of the issue hurting my eyes was all the extra screen time. I'm used to doing reports and regular browsing, but Zoom meetings 7-14x/day has been taking its toll. Then add to that the suddenly neutral colors being bright white - it was noticeable.

I think if it had happened same time last year, I wouldn't have noticed. Again, great job. And I'm not having the cookie issue anymore.

I'm looking into the cookie issue. It *may* be related to the http: versus https: thing, but according to the link I sent above, it's not a bug, it's a problem with the browser not accepting cookies correctly. Still trying though.

Thanks, Wayne. I was able to post a new topic this morning fine.

And I came to this topic without an link and I'm able to post without a cookie issue.

Wayne, it might be a couple of days before I notice something. I'll keep you informed.

Back