SPOILER: Season 4 Downtown Abbey

redsquirrel

Reaction score
This is in today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

http://communityvoices.post-gazette...-downton-abbey-moving-on-from-character-death

PRESS TOUR: PBS's 'Downton Abbey' moving on from character death Wednesday, 07 August 2013 08:31 AM Written by Rob Owen

For more coverage from the Television Critics Association summer 2013 press tour, click here.
Downton_s4_blog.jpg
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- After the third season finale of "Downton Abbey" killed off a beloved character, the show will move on in its fourth season but it will take some time for the characters to adapt.

Read more -- including the identity of the deceased, so, spoiler for those who are eight months behind -- after the jump. ...
Footage from the new season previewed for TV critics showed much upset as Mary (Michelle Dockery) and the Grantham family grieve the loss of Matthew.
"My husband is dead," Mary says over a Downton dinner. "After all he suffered in the war, he's killed in a stupid car crash. Isn't that enough for me to deal with?"
"You're letting yourself be defeated, my lady," Carson (Jim Carter) advises. "I'm sorry if it's a lapse to say so, but someone has to."
Mary's father, Robert (Hugh Bonneville) says, "She is broken and bruised. Iit is our job to wrap her up and keep her safe form the world."
But her grandmother, the Dowager Countess (Maggie Smith), admonishes him, "No, Robert, it is our job to bring her back to the world."
Eventually Mary will have several suitors but there's also a new bond that forms between her and Tom (Allen Leech) because they both lost their spouses.
"We were aware there is suspicion about Tom's and Mary's relationship," Dockery acknowledged. "They are very much friends and he is her brother-in-law. They become close because of what they've both been through in having lost a partner and Mary becomes far more involved in running the estate with Tom, so we do have a lotof scenes together but romantically, I don't think it's going anywhere. I hope not."
Executive producer Gareth Neame described a scene among three of the show's widowed characters: Tom, Mary and Isobel Crawley (Penelope Wilton), who is also the mother of the late Matthew.
"They all reflect on their great, deep loss," Neame said. "There’s a beautiful scene where just, really, in a line each, they describe how deeply they loved their partners. And before it gets maudlin, Isobel just says, 'Aren’t we the lucky ones.' And they talk about how to just have known these deep loves ... makes a life, even if you lose that now. I just think that is a real example of the beautiful approach to life that [series creator] Julian [Fellowes] takes in the writing of the show."
Beyond the reaction to Matthew's death, Neame said the new season features a real sense of modernity as the show dips deeper into the 1920s. Season four of "Downton" will cover the span of February 1922 to summer 1923.
Neame said the popular "Downton Abbey" will not continue into World War II in its time line but there's also no end in sight, except, perhaps the end of the cast's contracts, which run through season five.

Thanks for posting - I'm also looking forward to the new season. It's still sad that Matthew died.
That's a great picture too.
My faith is always in the Dowager Countess to set everyone straight :) I think Shirley MacLaine is supposed to be back? I thought I saw that somewhere.

I'm not surprised about her and Tom. We'll see how it goes.

K I've never seen this show and I thought this site was a Days of our Lives board. Why do we have other shows being talked about? Just wondering...

The Board is primarily a Days of Our Lives board. However, the board owners, Wayne and Poirot, have other sections here as well. You are currently in the "MORE TV TALK.....WHAT ELSE IS ON?" forum of the JAVA CAFE section of the board. JAVA CAFE is for everything that is NOT about Days of Our Lives. If you only want Days forums / threads such as Daily Days and The Crystal Ball (for spoilers) , then you will find them in the first section entitled "DAYS OF OUR LIVES" when you click
on the FORUMS tab at the top of the page.

The Board is primarily a Days of Our Lives board. However, the board owners, Wayne and Poirot, have other sections here as well. You are currently in the "MORE TV TALK.....WHAT ELSE IS ON?" forum of the JAVA CAFE section of the board. JAVA CAFE is for everything that is NOT about Days of Our Lives. If you only want Days forums / threads such as Daily Days and The Crystal Ball (for spoilers) , then you will find them in the first section entitled "DAYS OF OUR LIVES" when you click
on the FORUMS tab at the top of the page.
Caps not needed. But Thanks for the explanation!

Sorry i have been a member of this board for almost 4 yrs. And although I have seen some small mention of other shows on this board, lately it seems as though there is an awful lot of "OTHER" shows being talked about. It makes me wonder, are we losing that much intrest in DAYS OF OUR LIVES? I hope not, I know some of us get bored and or down right fed up with Days. But "DAYS" Is why I joined Salem Spectator. I had been to alot if other Days websites but felt at home here. Just feels like a different atmosphere lately with all these other shows being talked about. Idk

And yes, I know what you mean. Prime time shows are different, and doesn't take away from Days at all, and the forum for them was the Prime Time players.
However, other daytime shows WERE being brought up a lot within the Days threads, (and personally, it did not set well with me) so this forum was converted over to include daytime as well. BUT, this is why Daytime is only one all-inclusive thread. I only watch Days myself, but understand that there are those who watch other shows as well.

Downton Abbey is an extremely popular show, which is broadcast on Sundays, and only runs for 9 or 10 weeks. And then you are never sure if there will be a "next season" for them. Fans wait a whole year before it returns.
Originally, it was a mini-series that was supposed to run just the one season, but became wildly popular in England, and then here, as well.

TV Guide has new article on the 3 new men coming to Downton Abbey, as mary grieves for her dead husband, Michael, and won't leave the house. Lord Gillingham comes for a lavish house party, offering advice on inheritance taxes, and helps her out at a time she is unable to make decisions.
Charles Blake comes to Downton as an asst. to Evelyn Napier, who hasn't been seen since Season l. Mary dislikes him right off the bat. He is "modern thinking", and doesn't share the family's sentimentality about the past.
And then there is nightclub singer Jack Ross, who is from Chicago, and gets to meet mary when family finally convinces her to leave the house, and they go to a club.

Love how we get these tidbits, since we have to wait til January to see the show. LOL

Thanks, I appreciate the Downton Abbey news. I don't watch many of the popular shows on tv so am not interested in most of the chatter here about them. However, it is simple enough for me to skip over the forums or threads that are of no interest to me. They don't take away from other parts of the board that I do wish to read.

When does season 4 come on ?

Didn't see any date.

Back