Studio City, CA, Hang With the Guys - Days Event

This event is only to meet and hang out with the actors who play Sonny, Will and Paul (plus an appearance by the twins who play baby Ari).

I'll say it's expensive. The top level admission is $1,200 each. Cheapest level is $450.00, and Skyping is $300.00. What a crock of baloney to spend that much money (excluding travel expenses).

My goodness.......and $200 for a phone call. Wow. Guess there are fans who are pretty well off to afford those ticket prices....plus travel, meals, lodging. Must be intended for those who live in that area.

Are we sure this is not a scam of some kind? Some tickets are limited only to 5, or 25, but that disclaimer about the actors subject to change........?????
Does this mean we might get Joe Nobody instead of one of these actors.
So let's see......is it worth $5-6000 to me to spend a day sharing the attention of 3 soaps actors with other people. I don't think so. But evidently they do. And I guess some fans with great bank accounts.

I think it's appalling how much celebrities charge for interaction (or autographs) at various functions. I know that many times, the organization (that is holding or sponsoring the function) charges the fees, but I would feel like a real slug (as a celebrity) to go along with charging hard-working individual hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of dollars for the "privilege' of being in their presence for a bit of time. (unless the money is going to a reputable charity)

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to meet my childhood idol. A friend of mine is an entertainer and through him, I was able to attend a function at which they paid this person to appear and speak. I got a few minutes alone with the individual and it was everything you'd imagine in meeting your childhood hero.

Then, a few months later, this person was appearing at a local convention. Since it was close to my house, I went. And this time, it was all about the money. I mentioned that I was friends of the individuals from the prior event (who had paid this person a hefty fee just two months earlier) and the star blandly said "oh... yes.... them". Now, meanwhile, when the star was at the function two months earlier, they absolutely gushed over the hosts for three hours. (guess they felt obligated since the hosts paid thousands for the appearance)

At the convention, I had taken a bunch of memorabilia to be signed.....at $25.00 a signature. I stupidly paid $225 to have 9 items signed. I cut myself off after that, being disgusted over how stupid I was to shell out the money. I wanted a picture with the star. The fee was $40, even if I used my own camera. I had just spent $225 for 5 minutes of this person's time, to scribble their signature and they wouldn't let me be IN the picture without paying $40??? I was furious. I snapped one picture of the star holding 2 of my extremely rare collectibles, figuring if I ever sell them, I have proof they actually signed them.

After that, I decided I'd never again pay one cent for a celebrity signature.

Last year, this star's counterpart also made an appearance at the same convention and charged a few hundred for a picture taken with them (even if you used your own camera) and $60 for ONE autograph. (not to mention the $25 fee just to enter the convention building) There was no way I was going to pay $60 for a signature to "complete" the set.

Another time at the same convention, one of the stars of a huge 70's TV show was appearing. I was standing near his table and a little old woman who was so excited went up, wanting her picture with him (with her own camera). She handed the girl behind the table $20. The girl snidely informed the old woman that it was $25 to have a picture with the star. The old woman looked heartbroken. I handed the girl $5 and told the woman to go up and meet the guy. She almost cried. I wanted to tell the star that his little worker-bee needed to learn some old fashioned manners.

My boys were HUGE Star Wars fans. I can't count the number of Wilton cake pan Darth Vader cakes I made for birthdays, sleepovers, etc. Personally I'd have preferred Chewbacca, but toasted coconut wasn't something they'd eat.

Anyway I was working in Pasadena and the cake pan had been unused and collecting dust for a couple of years. On a visit home, I packed the cake pan in my suitcase and two weeks later at a fan convention in Pasadena I paid my $25.00 to get the cake pan signed by David Prowse the man who was Darth Vader. As I stood in line, cake pan in backpack, the line monitor would come through and ask to see what items we wanted signed.

David wouldn't sign body parts. And then she told me he wouldn't sign the cake pan, only pictures!!!! Now I understand the no body parts, but said we will see. It got to be my turn and I presented the cake pan and OH MY, but how that set everyone off. David wanted to see pictures of the cakes (I had brought some) Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) wanted to know if I had a Chewbacca in the pack he'd sign it too.

The autographed cake pan with pictures of David signing it and me standing next to him is framed and in my kitchen. The line monitor was not happy with me, but I was beyond thrilled.

The people working at the tables with the stars are sometimes so nasty and "power drunk". Good for you for not taking that attitude and asking him to sign the cake pan anyway. The worst he could've said was "nope". As it turned out, he was thrilled and you got a great picture and memory.

I should add that every workman or worklady who has come into the house and sees Darth framed and in the kitchen has made an offer on it. I have to break it to them it is the ONLY thing I own that my children will fight over when I'm gone. It is not for sale. Every year we get the carpets cleaned and I ask the scheduler for one of the guys by name and then say "Tell him it's the house with Darth Vader". It works, he comes, cleans the carpets and the tile, makes another offer on Darth, smiles and leaves. It's great fun.

Back