The Cop and the Bad Girl-a Rafe and Nicole love story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapter 32: Arms
Rafe heard an incessant pounding at the door. He paused Game of Thrones and got up, annoyed that someone had interrupted his favorite show. Rafe put his beer down on the counter and opened the door to a sobbing Nicole.

"Hey, Nicole, what's going on?" Rafe felt bad for being upset at being interrupted earlier.

"I just need to talk to someone, anyone. I hope it's fine if I come here," she sobbed. Nicole fell into Rafe's arms, crying into his chest. Rafe closed the door and hugged her as she put her arms around him.

"Let me get you some Kleenex, OK?" Rafe said, taking his arms from around her. Nicole went and sat down at the bar as Rafe grabbed a box of tissues from the coffee table. He brought them over to Nicole, who gratefully took a tissue and blew her nose.

"So what's going on? Why are you crying?"

"Because I've ruined Eric's life! And so has Chloe, and it's all that hussy's fault," said Nicole.

"Whoa, whoa, did Eric tell you that you and Chloe ruined his life? Are you saying that Sami turned him against you?"

"No, that's not what happened at all. Sami wanted revenge against me and Eric, and she got it alright." And quickly, Nicole recounted the whole tale to Rafe of what happened in the Square that evening. Rafe found it hard to hide his shock and disgust at what Sami had done, and yet, he wasn't all that surprised.

"Well, this is the old Sami alright. I'm really sorry for what happened, Nicole. But maybe there's still a chance for you and Eric. I mean, I'm sure there's some way for him to find another job, and he can still be with you..." Rafe really wasn't sure what else to say. He knew that his scenario was unrealistic.

"Eric's very serious about his job. He feels like it's his calling. And I've had bad luck in terms of guys choosing me over anything, or anyone, else."

Rafe knew this was true. He hugged Nicole. "Well," he said in a soft, comforting voice," let's hope for the best. You never know. And maybe this is a good thing that the truth is exposed. You don't have to worry about the burden of keeping secrets, and neither does Father Eric."

Nicole nodded. "You're right. I'll keep my hopes up. It's just been a really horrible day. And now I have to walk all the way back through the Town Square, through all those staring eyes and whispers, to get to the Church, where I'm probably not welcome anymore."

"No you don't", said Rafe. "You can stay here. Like you did before, except you can use some of Gabi's old pajamas."

"Oh, Rafe, I can't-"

"Don't worry, they're not footie pajamas." Rafe and Nicole both laughed.

"I mean, I can't accept your offer", she said. "I don't want to be a burden or anything."

"Burden?" Rafe began. "Nicole, it's one night! Besides, you're never a burden for me." Rafe and Nicole smiled at each other, and locked eyes. Nicole knew she couldn't resist that look Rafe gave her.

"OK, OK, I give up," Nicole said. She hugged Rafe, her strawberry perfume intoxicating him. "Thanks. For being the best friend in the whole wide world," Nicole said.

"Well, thanks for being good company." Rafe told her.

"When I'm not crying," Nicole joked. They both laughed. Rafe made some popcorn and finished his beer, playing Game of Thrones, while Nicole was sitting on the sofa, playing Bejeweled on her Iphone. Rafe finally sat down next to her, putting the afghan over the both of them. Their hands dug through the popcorn bowl and lightly touched. Rafe and Nicole looked briefly at each other, both blushing, but eventually looked away. Rafe felt warm in his heart, and he finally began to accept that he would be happy if Eric and Nicole didn't make it. Maybe he should be grateful to Sami, because he could finally have a shot at stealing Nicole's heart.

Thanks Susala. Glad you liked it!

There's more coming soon having to do with Eric and Nicole. Thanks for being patient guys...you'll get your wish soon!

Chapter 33: Already Gone
Nicole was walking to the beach by the river to meet Eric. He had called her after Father Matt talked to him at the office, and sounded serious when he said they needed to talk. Nicole took Rafe's advice and believed in the best scenario: Eric was just sad about losing his job, but would get over it and be happy about being with Nicole publicly. As Nicole arrived, she sat down on the pebbly bank and listened to the soothing sound of the river flowing. The weather was pleasantly cool, and most of the snow and ice was melted. Buds started appearing on the plants and trees. Birds were chirping around. Nicole started to fall asleep from being so soothed, but before she could, the sound of footsteps brought her back to her senses.

"You sure look like you could use some sleep," Eric said, smiling.

"No, I was just listening to everything coming back to life."

"You didn't come back to the church last night," Eric said. I thought maybe you stayed awake all night or something."

"No," Nicole said. "I slept over at Rafe's place again. I told him about everything, and he's so sympathetic." Nicole thought she saw a hint of jealousy in Eric's eyes, but she couldn't be sure what he was feeling. His emotions were as jumbled up as hers. Anger at Sami for her betrayal, sadness for his job and his relationship, disappointment in himself for failing at being a priest, shame from the ridicule of the town.

"I'm glad you were somewhere safe to stay," Eric mumbled. He was rather quiet, looking down and off to the distance.

"Eric, what's wrong? Why'd you call me here? Was Father Matt angry with you?" Nicole walked forward and placed a comforting hand on Eric's shoulder, but he gently brushed it off and looked away, sighing. Nicole was concerned.

"He was a bit angry, but he thinks that it's human nature to slip up."

Nicole smiled a bit. She was happy for Eric that his friendship with the older priest hadn't dissipated. But he continued to be quiet and distant, even a few feet away from her.

"He forgave me. But he gave me an ultimatum, and I took the best option. The one that makes the most sense for me."

"What is it?" Nicole's positive attitude was fading. Eric looked her right in the eye.

"He told me to either leave the parish, or to end things with you."

"And you decided to leave, right?" The desperation in Nicole was starting to be obvious. "You realized that our love is so strong, so constant, and has always been there, right? And that nothing can tear us apart for long?" Nicole couldn 't stop the shakiness in her voice, or the tears in her eyes, because she already knew the answer. Eric was looking down to the ground, tears in his eyes, and kept moving back when Nicole stepped towards him. "Eric, we've been in love for the better part of a decade, we can't just let this go." She was pleading and crying now.

"Nicole, I'm sorry. I can't disappoint my family, or Father Matt, or anyone else now. I've chosen this path. I want to be a priest. This is my calling. I can't slip up anymore."

"Eric, you can't do this! You can't do- we belong together!"

"We don't!" Eric said sternly. "Nicole, everything we have been through has proved that. Before, it was Taylor, or Greta, or Lucas and the money, and now it's my calling. If we were meant to be, none of this stuff would be in our way! Don't you see?!" Eric was nearly shouting now. His eyes were still tearing. "I will always, always care about Nicole. I'll always be here for you to talk to, to be a friend to you, but...I can't be here for you like this. I'm sorry." Eric quickly turned and left. And now that Nicole was alone, she didn't have to try to hold it in. Nicole sat down on the pebbles and broke down, sobbing.

And she sat there, crying, for what seemed like hours, her tears falling into the river.

Chapter 34: One and Only (I thought this Adele song was perfect for them!)
Rafe was walking in the park when he decided to head down to the river. He figured it would be a nice sight this time of year to see only a few pieces of ice floating on it. As he headed along the path, he heard the sobs of a woman, and it sounded all to familiar. Rafe hurried over and saw Nicole crumpled on the pebbly ground, crying her eyes out.

"Hey, hey Nicole, what's wrong?" But Rafe already knew. Eric must've broken up with her to save his job. Rafe now felt bad for his wishful thinking last night that this would happen.

"It's over, Rafe, it's over! He chose his job over me! I came in second again! And it's worse this time because I didn't see it coming! I mean it's Eric for goodness sakes!"

Rafe took his overcoat off and put it on Nicole. He was able to handle the cold well, but it looked like Nicole had been out here for quite a while. "I'm really sorry to hear that, Nicole. I hate to see you cry." But Nicole just kept crying and looking at the ground.

"Hey, Nicole, look at me. Look at me," he said. And Nicole looked up at Rafe. Even though she was a teary, red-faced mess at the moment, he was still a sucker for those blue eyes. "You are beautiful, and smart, and funny. You may have made mistakes, but you have a good heart deep down. And I know, I know you will be with a very lucky guy, who's going to always put you first."

But Nicole shook her head. "I doubt that."

"I don't. I believe in you," said Rafe. "You still have me, right? I'm not going anywhere."

Nicole hugged Rafe. "And that's the most important thing right now. Having you by my side." Nicole smiled and wiped away her tears. She began to shiver. "But as warm of a person as you are, I'm still very cold," Nicole joked. Rafe and her smiled.

"OK, c'mon. I'll bring you to my place. Make you the hot chocolate that you like, with the little shavings you like on top." They smiled at each other. Rafe took Nicole's hand and lifted her off the ground. They walked back to the loft together, arm in arm.

Nicole finished her cocoa and wrapped her blanket around herself as she and Rafe settled down to watch House Hunters International, where they were in Costa Rica buying a house. "Someday, I want to go there!" Nicole said, pointing at the TV, looking at the cute little money swinging in the jungle.

Rafe laughed. "Why, so you won't get too cold when spending too much time outside?" He and Nicole laughed.

"Well, definitely for the weather," she said. "But also just to see everything there. And explore. Sometimes I feel like I need to just get away from it all. The city life, the judgy people here. Heck, people here in general." Nicole noticed that Rafe looked a bit hurt and taken aback.

"Except for you, and my other friends," she said quickly. "I'm really lucky, and grateful, to have such amazing friends." Nicole could tell that Rafe was lightening up.

"It goes both ways," he said.

"Thank you, Rafe."

"For what? It's true," he muttered, confused.

"I didn't just mean for the comment," she told him. "For everything. For letting me crash here, twice at that, for the hot cocoa, for the blanket, for giving me the jacket earlier, for watching TV with me." The last comment got the both of them laughing again. "But mostly, for being here for me. And for saying you're not leaving. Because I meant it, Rafe, when I said earlier that you're the most important person here in Salem to me now."

"Anytime, Nicole," Rafe said. Nicole and Rafe looked intensely at each other for a moment, their hands close together. But the moment was broken when Rafe's phone rang. He looked down at it.

"It's Gabi. I've gotta take this," he said.

"Of course," said Nicole.

Rafe answered the phone and walked to the other room. And suddenly, Nicole got to thinking. Sure she was sad about losing Eric, but being around Rafe somehow took away the devastation, and she held it together around him. The bond between them was deepening, and there was no denying it. But was a bond all there was? Nicole stopped thinking about it when the commercial break was over and she continued watching her TV show.

Oh WoW! I am really getting into this story. I no longer have any interest in days so this is great. I worried when I didnt see it for awhile.
thanks Dd

Since this thread has gotten so long, I'm going to close it.

Daysd, please start a new thread to continue your story!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back