The English Language

Both ways are correct. In the U.S. mostly but not always pronounced with no h. In the U.K. it is mostly pronounced with the h. I actually just realized I do both. No idea why. Sometimes one way, sometimes the other.

Interesting about the "h" thing. I had always wondered if it was silent around here because so many people in this area are of Scots-Irish descent but from reading here, it seems to be pretty widespread throughout the U.S.

Poirot, I loved the story about your fit of hysterical laughter. Reminded me of some dear friends of my parents. They had so many interesting stories to tell and would both tell them together. He would get tickled and laugh till tears were running, then she'd start laughing too. Soon, everybody listening would be laughing. That kind of laughter is definitely contagious.

It's funny isn't it? As I ask myself and say out loud the word, "herb" I am saying it both ways but for the most part I think I pronounce the "h". However in words like "Honest" and "Honour" I do not. I will have to apy attention next time I am saying those words.

I blame the Brits. They say "'istoric," so a preceding "an" is OK. We pronounce the "h," so we should use the "a." Some TV talking head started using a mess of "an historics" a few years ago, and the rest of the lemmings ran with it; thankfully, the fad has passed. All this in my humble opinion, of course!

Actually, cannot blame the Brits for anything. English is THEIR language. And WAS theirs FIRST.
And just as in America, we have various accents, depending on where we live, so does England, depending on where in England one is living. There are also "local" ways of reference both in England and here.

I only began this thread because I was thinking of those who learn English as a second language. Learning to speak it is not as bad as learning to read and write it. And when one factors in the local dialects/accents, etc. definitely is a challenge.

Back