The Fall Schedule

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the networks have done it again..pitting good shows against each other, and leaving some periods with nothing interesting....and the weekends seem disastrous. To me.

Here is a short synopsis...

On Monday....Dancing With the Stars is opposite The Voice, with CBS's comedy lineup opposite them both. Hostages & The Blacklist is opposite Castle.

Tuesday.....Agents of the S.H.I.E.L.D. opposite NCIS and The Biggest Loser ABC has all new shows that night...The Goldbergs, Trophy Wife, and Lucky 7

Wednesday....Survivor, Revolution on opposite ABC's comedy night, The Middle, Back In the Game. Nashville & CSI are opposite Ironside (which got a lousy review)

Thursday.....Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, opposite Big Bang Theory/The Millers, plus Parks & Recreation/Welcome to the Family. Then Greys Anatomy is opposite The Crazy Ones/Two and HalfMen
and Sean Saves the World/Michael J Fox show

Fri, Sat. & Sunday offer nothing new

I'll decide later what I'll tape on VCR or watch later on the internet or maybe live.
I may watch Michael J Foxes new show. I hardly watch comedies
anymore since I don't like how they make fun of people.

Matt Rousch did a number of short 2 or 3 line reviews of the new shows...and to make it even shorter, he gave a two thumbs up to Hostages, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (on Fox), S.H.I.E.L.D., MOM, The Originals (CW), The Blacklist. And the Michael J. Fox show.

A one thumb up for Trophy Wife, The Goldbergs, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, the Millers, The Crazy Ones, Enlisted (Fox)

He was not fond at all of many of the new comedies, & a few dramas.....Sleepy Hollow (Fox),
We are Men, Lucky 7, Dads (Fox), Super Fun Night, The Tomorrow People (CW) Ironside, welcome to the Family, Sean Saves the World, Dracula, Masterchef Junior, Betrayal

They also did a few synopsis of upcoming PBS show, and on November 8th, the New York Philharmonic is going to be on Great Performances doing the wonderful musical COMPANY, with Neil Patrick Harris, Patti LuPone, Stephen Colbert, Jon Cryer, Martha Plimpton, Christina Hendricks and Anika Noni Rose.

The TV man in my state paper gave a grade and made comments on the new shows

He said "pretty" in all the reviews for the new CW shows

Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are definitely the worst nights for TV. Fridays I watch "Blue Bloods" and "Undercover Boss," both on CBS. Saturdays I generally watch movies On Demand from one of the premium stations. Remember the old days when we had "Carol Burnett," "Mary Tyler Moore" and "Newhart" on Saturdays? At least I THINK they were all on that night. Sundays I used to watch "Desperate Housewives," now gone. I do watch "Newsroom" on HBO and "Ray Donovan" on Showtime, both of which will soon be over for the season. "Homeland" returns 9/29 on Showtime, and there is a new show on HBO premiering 9/29, "Hello Ladies." I don't have a DVR nor TIVO so have to either miss shows or try to catch them On Demand or online. I guess it's a good thing, because otherwise I'd have a stockpile of shows to watch. Even so, at times, it sure can be frustrating not being able to watch everything on our "must-see lists." The networks are so competitive, they don't make it easy for us.

The Kennedy Center Honors will be on Sunday, December 29th, 9 pm EST, on CBS. This year's honorees are: actress Shirley MacLaine, singer-songwriter Billy Joel, musician Carlos Santana, jazz artist Herbie Hancock, and opera singer Martina Arroyo

I don't about you other Castle fans but I can't wait to hear the answer to that proposal. I think it would be great to see an engaged Castle and Beckett trying to maintain that professionalism in the squad room while dealing with wedding planning and adjusting to living together (this is just wild hopeful speculation on my part).

I watch "Castle". I hope she says yes too cryin4days.

Do you watch "Rizzoli and Isles" on TNT?

Oh, Castle is going to have a great season. I love that show. But I have to say the schedule for the networks is not what I wanted to see. and I definitely am a Rizzoli & Isles fan.

And comes January, I believe Downton Abby and Dallas will begin airing their new seasons.

I stumbled on the PBS Film and Television criticism show, Just Seen It, a few months ago. Its a pretty good follow up to the late Roger Ebert's efforts to present weekly reviews to movies in theaters. Since the show also reviews television shows, I thought I'd post what they have to say regarding the upcoming Fall season:

I'm looking forward to the return of The Walking Dead and Revolution. Wondering how Dancing with the Stars will be with the changes they're making.

katmouse - I am a fan of Rizzoli & Isles. So sad that the character of Frost has to be written off, since the actor died (Lee Thompson Young). The new show on the same station, TNT, is excellent...Cold Justice. The two women are the real thing and solve real cold cases. Extremely interesting, highly recommend.

I thought it was interesting at the end of Rizzoli and Isles. Casey asked Jane to marry him
like we saw in Castle.

It was sad to hear about Lee Thompson Young (Frost) who worked on Rizzoli and Isles.

Just a reminder if you're a Bones fan or another FOX show. Fox is starting their new TV season today.

Monday Night's Ratings:

Off with their heads! The premiere of Fox’s Sleepy Hollow lobbed off the competition Monday night.
Hollow scored 10 million viewers and a 3.4 rating among adults 18-49 (check out Jeff Jensen’s review). That’s 127 percent better than last fall’s disastrous The Mob Doctor premiere. In fact, this is Fox’s highest-rated fall drama premiere in six years. Hollow also significantly built upon its lead in — the return of Bones — which was down slightly from last year (chart below).
On ABC, the return of Dancing With the Stars delivered a desperately needed ratings rebound for the franchise — 16.2 million viewers and a 3.2 rating in the demo, up 28 percent from last fall’s All-Stars edition.
While the season finale of CBS’ Under the Dome (11.8 million) had its largest audience since its summer premiere and its biggest demo ratings(2.8) since in several weeks. See Darren Franich’s recap.

Though next week is the official start of broadcast season, when most shows get underway, last night was the unofficial starter pistol for the fall. Broadcasters are going to be relieved by the Sleepy Hollow and Dancing numbers, proving once again that audiences are still showing up. The Dancing boost was particularly needed. The franchise has been in a spiral and this is the first time the show’s rating has climbed year-over-year since 2010. One suspects the casting of Valerie Harper, who is appearing on the show while fighting brain cancer, helped jump-start interest. Perhaps the lower commitment this season of dumping the results show helped, too. Another certain factor: Last fall’s edition premiered opposite NBC crusher The Voice.
And The Voice can’t return too soon for NBC. Monday had the ambitiously convoluted Million Second Quiz, and the season finales of American Ninja Warrior and deep-freeze flop Siberia.

Fox is pushing for reporters to add a new number into their next-day ratings reports this season: DVR gain projections. Fox predicts Hollow will grow to more than a 5.0 rating with the addition of seven days of DVR playback (these regular morning numbers only include DVR playback from the night before). We’re now at a point where DVR playback is so large that the morning numbers don’t tell anywhere close to the full story of a show’s popularity. Yet even the networks concede the next-day numbers are still crucial — they usually give you a clear idea of how a show is stacking up against the competition and which direction a show is trending week after week, if not the show’s eventual total mass viewership. It’s not entirely unlike using opening weekend box office to grade how well a movie will perform. Also, advertisers put a premium on live viewing, so premiere night ratings tend to have an outsized influence.

Competition is only going to get tougher over the next month as broadcasters roll out all their shows (schedule here).
Full Super Handy Chart:
ADULT DEMO RANK ADULTS 18-49 RATING TOTAL VIEWERS
FOX 8-9P BONES P #4 2.2 7,526
9-10P SLEEPY HOLLOW P #1 3.4 10,046

ABC 8-10P DANCING P #2 3.2 16,190
10-11P CASTLE RS #7t 1.5 7,688

CBS 8:00P HIMYM R #11 1.3 4,313
8:30P 2BROKE RS #7t 1.5 4,384
9:00P 2BROKE R #7t 1.5 4,999
9:30P BG BANG RS #5 1.8 6,073
10-11P UNDER DOME #3 2.8 11,839

NBC 8-9P MILLION S #13t 1.1 3,747
9-10P AMRN NINJA #6 1.6 4,228
10-11P SIBERIA #15 0.8 2,226

CW 8-9P HART-DIXIE R #19t 0.2 706
9-10P BRKG POINTE #19t 0.2 499

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/17/sleepy-hollow-premiere-ratings/

Looking ahead, TNT is unveiling a new show from Frank Darabont (The Walking Dead, The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption) on December 4th (check your local listings for the time slot) - Mob City. Very film noir, for those fans of this genre.

Looks like the cable companies are beginning to give the big networks a run for their money. Though I think they do manage to produce their shows more cheaply than the networks can do.

I am really ticked about The Blacklist being on opposite, as Castle will get my attention first. Even tho I really wanted to watch Blacklist. Sigghhhhh.

Back