To Days Viewers

I have watched Days since the mid 70's. I had a stretch of about 15 years when I didn't watch due to work but I picked it up again regularly in 2008 when Sami and Rafe first met. Having that big gap, I saw immediately that the show in 2008 was very different from the show in 1992 even though many of the characters were the same ones I knew and loved.

Like all other forms of media, soaps have had to evolve with the times. They are not the powerhouses (or money makers) they were when there were 15 or so of them on the air. People today have far many more choices for entertainment in lots of media and seem to prefer 2 minute YouTube videos to a 1 hour show. So it is not surprising that soaps don't generate the same buzz they used to.

I think it is unfair to expect today's Days to be the Days of the 80's or 90's. But even back then I wasn't crazy about every storyline or character either. Soaps are entertainment and MELODRAMA, not reality. I chuckle when folks complain about how stories are unrealistic. Isn't that the point? To escape from reality for a little bit each day? To me that is part of the fun. There are plenty of 'reality' shows out there that don't hold a candle to even the bad storylines on Days, in my opinion.

I am just very grateful I can still tune in every day to check out the antics going on in Salem. Because one day, I know I won't be able to and I will have lost something I have enjoyed for a very long time.

I think that's true, but the things that we often complain about as "unrealistic" are small issues, such as wearing a mini skirt in Midwest February. Of course not everyone will be happy with the soaps all of the time or expect it to be perfect, but that doesn't mean certain aspects of it couldn't be done better.

Have to say I do wish the midwest had the kind of weather that already is allowing Salemites to run around in sleeveless, low cut tops, no jackets, even light ones, in april, (a month that is up and down, very iffy. Never rains, but boy, sure is lush green and all those flowers blooming already. LOLOL And hey, never windy, either. Hair stays perfectly in place. LOLOL :)

I have watched Days on and off over the years, but became a regular about 5 years ago when I took a medical retirement. I have stated in the past that I started watching mainly because of Will Horton. I was upset when he was murdered. However, I have continued to watch because I keep hoping for Will's resurrection. When Dena came on I was hopeful the writing would get better and Will and Sonny would reconcile. But it got worse and killed off Will. With Sami coming back I hope Will will too.

Back