Turner Classic Movies Cancellation

I called them earlier, because they dropped 6 channels in addition to that one. CNN, HLN, and TruTV, and then two cartoon channels. They gave me $5 off my bill for the next 6 months and also told me they're still negotiating- Turner wants more money, Dish doesn't want to have to charge more, but the existing contract was up today and because nothing has been agreed upon, they had to black out the channels because they can't legally run their programming without a valid contract. The lady I spoke with said that since those channels are so popular, she thinks it'll be a short negotiation period.

I've seen this happen periodically. It actually happened one year with ABC during the Oscars and at the 11th hour, they renegotiated a deal in time to air them.

However, we did permanently lose Universal Sports Network a few years ago. That hurts because it's the only channel in the US that airs full live skating competitions.

They went through this with AMC last year, and then The Walking Dead premiered to a record audience. The next week, we had the channel back and Dish re-ran the premiere they'd missed out on on its own channel.

Direct TV has done the same with various channels. We lost 14 of them a year or two ago, while "negotiations went on. And the end result was a raise in cost to the consumer.

I already pay $102 a month, after taxes. And that's just for 250 regular channels, none of the special movie channels. Seems like I was paying half that 4 years ago when I signed up.

LOL yeah, I think I started out paying $20 a month, and boy, thru the years, they just keep tacking things on. I pay $98 now, and do not have a DVR. Always get a kick out of seeing ads for $30 a month for a 2 yr. contract, plus free installation. They even tried to add on a "protection" fee and I called and had a fit, because it was not ever ordered.

Makes me glad I have Uverse through AT&T $130 a month for TV, Internet, and a landline phone. I think we have about 400 channels, we watch probably 20 of those. :rotfl:

LOL, well, I love that while they advertise so many channels (both Direct & Dish) they don't tell you so many of them are shopping channels. LOL

Back