What's your demo? (Poll)

For statistical purposes, what is your demographic?

• Female under 18

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Male under 18

• Female 18-34

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Male 18-34

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Female 34-49

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Male 34-49

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Female 49-54

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Male 49-54

• Female 54+

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Male 54+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm also in the demo that doesn't count... the old woman range... even though I do have more money now that my boys are grown and gone..... and per the show Days... and most tv shows, I know longer want to have sex and my male partner needs medication to...... while nothing could be further from the truth......but that's not what you see on commercials and most shows/movies.....

I once heard the age demographics for shows are based on the belief that (1) people younger than 18 don't have a lot of disposable income but may be able to influence their parents into buying new products; (2) people over 18 but younger than 50 have some level of disposable income and can be influenced to try new products; and (3) people over 50 have more disposable income but are not likely to change brands or try new products. Being over 50, I can say that I pretty much purchase the same brands of everything (based on years of experience and experimentation) and don't really have a desire to try new ones. If a high percentage of "older Americans" are like me, advertising dollars are pretty much wasted on that demographic.

redsquirrel - I agree. your thoughts are just as valid as anyone elses. That's my exact point, all of our thoughts should matter- despite our age.
I do see, however, how the advertising is geared toward certain age groups. that makes sense to me, if they do a survery and find that most of an audience is older, they may be able to get away with more mature commercials. Or if it's a younger base, perhaps they will censor or not show some advertisements... personally, I don't like commercials. haha- I record everything and fast forward through all of that stuff.

He is trying to prove that exact point with the poll. My over age 54 thoughts about the show are just as valid (or even more so due to my many many years of watching Days) than someone who is maybe 18, and has been watching for 6 months to a year.

The networks and advertisers seem to think no one has a brain after age 53. GRRRRRR

Wow lots of action while I was away - Yes, Stephanie, this is why I was asking. Because as a male who's watched Days my entire life (through most of its ups and downs), my viewership means very little, and I find the way ratings are measured to be offensive at worst and negligent at best. And I considered dividing up the ages more, but was really trying to see how the folks here at the Spectator compare to the "precious" demos.

There are very few commercials I enjoy. Some funny ones now and then, or advertisements for interesting-looking movies. But it seems like nowadays they all try too hard to be witty/funny and just come off as annoying, especially those ones that get played so often. I either leave the room to heat up my food (I usually eat lunch while watching Days) and get water or just record the show and FF the ads while watching later.

Early 40s female (42, going on 43)... been watching since... gods, when I was in the under 18 category, although I did skip a few years in the middle there. Without a chronological storyline timeline, I can't say for sure, but I'd go with 1999 to 2006 I wasn't watching. Maybe 2005 - whenever it was that they had all the big promos that they were bringing back Steve and Jack and Kayla... I came back just before that so that I wouldn't be completely lost. So, yeah, I missed the whole Melaswen storyline (and I kinda wish I hadn't).

(3) people over 50 have more disposable income but are not likely to change brands or try new products. Being over 50, I can say that I pretty much purchase the same brands of everything (based on years of experience and experimentation) and don't really have a desire to try new ones. If a high percentage of "older Americans" are like me, advertising dollars are pretty much wasted on that demographic.

I may be in the minority but I do try new products - if not I would never have discovered the joys of Mr Clean Erasers or Mr Clean with Gain or Swiffer products or...I could go on and on. When I find a new product I like I certainly tell family and friends about it as well.

personally... I hate things like this. I hate being "lumped" into a group of people. especially with some of them so broad of a range.. . and "54+" doesn't have to be specific or broken up? Is 54 the magical age of maturity? what is the point of this poll? (offensive, in my opinion)

I don't think anyone should be lumped into a group and judged according to the number of years they've been on the earth. Our experiences and maturity levels often don't reflect the number, or have anything to do with it for that matter. :) just my opinion anyways...

Yes, next year you are eligible for AARP, so then you are JUST OLD!!!:wink:

Early 40s female (42, going on 43)... been watching since... gods, when I was in the under 18 category, although I did skip a few years in the middle there. Without a chronological storyline timeline, I can't say for sure, but I'd go with 1999 to 2006 I wasn't watching. Maybe 2005 - whenever it was that they had all the big promos that they were bringing back Steve and Jack and Kayla... I came back just before that so that I wouldn't be completely lost. So, yeah, I missed the whole Melaswen storyline (and I kinda wish I hadn't).

I wish I had!!

:OT: I have an AARP card.... got it and it has actually been worth the money spent... as an example this past Memorial Day I drove from Phoenix, AZ to Sacramento, CA.... I stopped at a roadside motel when I was tired to get some sleep.... the room was $125.00 for the night.... I said I have an AARP card... the room dropped to $75.00 for the night, or what was left of the night.... and it included free breakfast in the morning.... amazing.... :back:

Back