When Calls the Heart

Hubs said every time I like a character named Jack, and the couple he is involved in, they get killed off. It just made me cry more tears.

Maybe he isn't....maybe this is a dream....like on Dallas....I mean he & Elizabeth are the main stars, along with the mayor. Maybe he is presumed dead, but they are wrong...

Maybe. And maybe she will be pregnant too. But it still is heartbreaking to go through another separation. She did say she had a dream about him, so maybe?

Admittedly it has bugged me about Jack being gone this season so much. I wondered if the actor had another project he worked on, or perhaps wanted out. Which is what happened on Downton Abbey when the actor playing Michael decided he did not want to be tied down so the character was suddenly killed in an auto accident right after the birth of his son.

But Hallmark doesn't usually have anyone in their movies or series die.....so.....guess we just have to wait til next week. (Last night I was looking all over the internet for a "clue"...none to be had. )

The show has been renewed for another season, so I hope Jack is still alive. If he isn't, I hope there aren't constant flashbacks like on Days.

There are also a lot of rumors going around that the two actors who play Elizabeth and Jack are a couple in real life, and may be getting married.

(I watch the show on Netflix so I get to see it 6 months late, but I follow the summaries online.)

Last edited:
He is supposed to be on some day program today, but saw a short interview with him. He is from Australia, & has quite the accent from there. I love it when they talk of doing an "American" accent. The Good Doctor also is not from the U.S. or Canada, so does an "American" accent.

Maybe later today, we will know if he really dies. Bad enough Jack died on This Is Us, but at least we continue to see him.
In re the tweet, he & Elizabeth, & the mayor are doing a live interview on Facebook next week Monday, the 23rd.

Last edited:
Well his tweet is a bit cryptic but doesn't sound encouraging to me. Maybe my disappointment is filtering my response. My internet search on him last night found no news of him having signed on another show or movie. The 23rd feels like a long way off today.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be a really stupid question, but I have found that everyone here is friendly and helpful. Can someone PLEASE explain the title to me? It always sounds like it is missing a word and I can't make any sense of it. When WHO or WHAT calls the heart? And what does that even mean? I can kind of understand When the Heart Calls, but is that what they are saying? Thank you!

Yes, it is supposedly the way folks spoke in that time period.

It's not Present-day English. It's either from Shakespeare or the Bible or something of that antiquity, or it's imitating it. It's the equivalent of one of your two suggestions, but I can't tell which, as it's just a fragment out of context (being a movie title), not a complete sentence.

In English of that age, questions could be formed without using 'do/does', and also sometimes inversion occurred after a positive adverb (not just a negative adverb, as is still true today). "

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/when-calls-the-heart.2766529/

Thank you for your replies. I knew I would get an answer here. And thanks for the reading recommendations. I appreciate that, too.

So, it doesn't say a thing, except thank you...and tune in for the season finale'. I think they are getting a lot of static from that ending yesterday, fans extremely upset and disappointed. Tight knit community, indeed!

I'm behind 2 episodes due to travel this past week

Brian Bird likes to stir the pot. If Jack dies, I'm out.

There will be a Facebook Live with Brian Bird, Erin Krakow (Elizabeth), Daniel Lissing (Jack) and Lori Loughlin (Abigail) next Monday. I don't know the time yet but it's supposed to answer all questions.

Also, there is a very active Facebook group for Fans of When Calls the Heart, a good place to discuss the show. Brian Bird posts in there as well.

There are also a lot of rumors going around that the two actors who play Elizabeth and Jack are a couple in real life, and may be getting married.

I don't think this is true at all but they definitely are good friends. It's obvious from the behind the scenes cast photos and videos.

I've never seen the series, but I believe it is about the now-grown niece from those last three books. She's a baby/toddler in the four original books.

This is correct. I really want to read the full series from the beginning just need to find the time.

I heard that Daniel Lissing (Jack) had a death in the family and had to go back to Australia while they were filming this season. So since they tape in very short timeframes that could explain his absence. I really hope he isn't dead. I don't watch Hallmark Channel for sad endings.

Back