Where is Hope?

First she was "searching" for Ciara.......when Ciara was back on the show......they ignored mentioning Hope, but finally had to provide some kind of reason for her to still be gone.......see above post.

They probably will not mention, ignore, and finally Hope will be like Don Craig who went out to mail a letter, or Dr. Neil Curtis who went on rounds......never heard from again.

It's really a shame they can't say she got a job with another police department, or went to visit Melissa, or is travelling with her dashing naval officer she met while searching for Ciara. They keep acting like any day she'll drop back in. Like they did with Bo - which worked out terribly.

It really is past time for a recast.
No Thanks.

A recast will look like an imposter to me just like the recent Jennifer recast. Kristian Alfonso is and always will be Hope Brady for me, she has made the role her own and has played Hope for far too long for any recast to work- at least for me and I hope many other long time fans. It looks like they are either playing a waiting game to see if Kristian changes her mind about returning or the guy in charge doesn't care enough about the character to recast the role?! I agree with Jason though, they should at least come up with some dumb story as to where she is and why she hasn't returned to Salem.

They obviously did not want to end the character's life, maybe in hopes Kristian would return, or perhaps they would recast. The thing is...Bo & Hope were THE couple. Any other pairings for either character never worked. Bo & Hope are now grandparents. They have aged as we all have. The same kind of stories from the 80s & 90s would not work for them any more. Jack,Jen... grandparents. Kate, is a great-gramma, Contrast Tom & Alice as grandparents with how the ones today are written. We saw how Stefano, as he got older, wasn't as agile, we see Victor currently. I am grateful that we have as many characters still being portrayed by their originators. Heck, Roman was recast, & has been in that part for wayyyy more years than the actor who originated the character as that was only two years.

I was very fortunate years ago, to have seen Carol Channing on stage, starring in Hello Dolly! Since then, I have seen Ginger Rogers in that role, also Pearl Bailey. And then local community theater as well.

ALL TV shows run into recasting when an actor decides to leave, and is adamant about not returning. Days has had to deal with Peter Reckell decision to leave, (Bo), Kristian Alfonso, (Hope) Kate Mansi (Abby), Melissa Reeves (Jennifer), James Scott (EJ) Alison Sweeney (Sami...tho they do get her back for short periods every year or two...but it makes it difficult to write current story for her, based on what transpired previously...) And there are more.

Heck, NCIS has lost Mark Harmon, the wonderful Gibbs, and has to replace.

A few actors have left, but did return, tho who knows for how long......Carmila Banus (Gabi), Jay Kenneth Johnson (Philip), Tony & Anna seem to come and go, thankfully the actors agree to the recurring status.

Sometimes, the recast just doesn't work, but most times, works out very well.

I like the idea of a recast. I'm certainly sad we can't get Kristian Alfonso back- but I want the character of Hope involved in these major stories surrounding her close family members. I'm positive a recast would do just fine with the role. I wish they would consider it.

Recasts are tough. We've had 13 Mike Hortons (or more, some were kids, etc etc) but really only one adult Hope, who was on the show a majority of 37 years. That's a tough recast. Nobody's going to like the new Hope. (Heck, I'm still not even sold on the new Roman, who's played Roman longer than all other Romans combined and doubled.)

Far easier to tell us she's joined the ISA with Billie and they're looking for Namibian diamonds in the forests of Greenland near Melbourne. Treat her and the fans with dignity.

There's just a real problem with the planning on this show. They need to have a plan, a backup, and a contingency plan. They don't, at all, and when something happens (like an actress leaves with no notice), it really exposes this weakness.

I don't know anything about contracts.......but some years back, when Melissa Reeves abruptly left, the suits at Days were talking of suing her. It all got smoothed out, she returned. When this happened with Kristian Alfonso, who also abruptly left.......not a single whisper of suing her. Maybe she was nearing the end of her contract, maybe contracts now have a protection or something, I have no idea. Just thought it unusual.

If I remember correctly — Days had cancelled everyone’s contract because they weren’t sure about renewal so she was not contractually obligated when she quit. I had heard that Several of the actors opted to not sign a new contract at that time but she chose to go even further and leave.

I just don't get how hard it is for Ciara to say "I had breakfast with mom this morning, she said blank blank blank"....just because a character is off screen, doesn't mean they have to be negligent to their family. There's plenty of opportunity for discussions to be had off screen and the character on screen just shares she's there. I don't get the mentality of "oh, actress is gone. guess we will say her character disappeared or went to the other side of the world."

You have a point. When John Clarke (Mickey) retired, (2004) his character was constantly mentioned as being in next room, representing clients in trials in Chicago, in the next room with his mom, just all kinds of things. Finally, in 2010 Mickey told Maggie (on phone) they should go on a cruise, & while he was "upstairs packing", he had a heart attack. Maggie found him, went downstairs in shock, Hope realized something was not right, went up, called 911. Mickey passed away.

We never saw the actor, but the show devised all sorts of ways to mention him as being still around. Maybe the suits thought he'd relent and return, they did a few recasts, very short stints, which definitely did not work, & they went back to having him out of the room. The actor John Clarke passed away in 2019.

I just don't get how hard it is for Ciara to say "I had breakfast with mom this morning, she said blank blank blank".
ya sure DaysLady... Ciara getting out of bed in time for the normal world to have breakfast....... :rotfl: maybe Ciara could say I had lunch with mom.... now Mom and I went shopping for the baby.....

John Clarke (Mickey) retired, (2004) his character was constantly mentioned as being in next room, representing clients in trials in Chicago, in the next room with his mom, just all kinds of things.
Mickey Horton was recast three times after John Clarke retired. First with Richard Voigts for a short time in 2004, then with John Ingle (who had been on GH for decades) from 2004-2006, and finally with Kevin Dobson (who was Mack on Knots Landing) in 2008. After Kevin Dobson left is when they started saying Mickey was always in the other room, at work, etc.

Back