Wish us luck !

TheWriter

Reaction score
Hi all,

A while back, I posted a new thread called "Hoping for good and great changes". It' s about a dream my husband and I have (along with our two daughters) to move to Florida. Florida is a place we have come to know and like a lot, mainly because of the climate, much better than the one we have here in Quebec. We are soooooo tired of winter. I get sick so often, with bronchitis, laryngitis, even pneumonia this year, while our youngest daughter spends half her time battling colds and asthma due to these colds. So we have made a life changing decision : to try to move to Florida. It's a lot harder than it looks ! :eek: So my husband (he's a software engineer) applied for several jobs. Up until now, no luck. :(

Then today : a message asking him for a preliminary phone interview. :clap: Hey ! It's not much, but it's better than nothing. So, although this is far from a life or death situation, I was thinking a few positive thoughts could not hurt. And I have come to appreciate all of you, and the support you give here to your fellow posters, including me. So I figured it would not cost a thing to ask. So if you can, wish us luck. And I'll keep you posted. Cause we never know what the future holds...

Funny, I was just thinking today about the desire to move to Florida you had mentioned some time ago. I wondered if you were still thinking about it or had made a decision. I was surprised and glad to find this thread tonight. I wish the very best for you and your family. Florida would be a huge change but it sounds like you've been there enough to know what it's like. It sure sounds better than long, cold winters to me!

Thanks for all your kind words everyone ! I appreciate them, and so does my husband (I showed him your messages). :hug: You know, even though it's a well thought out project, I'll be honest : I'm really scared. But then I guess it's normal. CHange is a scary thing. What person would not be scared ? I know... a liar. :)

I moved from New Jersey, where I lived 45 years of my life, to Texas (hubby's job got relocated) It took a while to learn the area, find new doctors & for me to find a job, but eventually it becomes home. Here I am 10 years later, and even though you can't take the Jersey out of me, I consider myself a Texan. Good luck !!!!

Thanks for all your kind words everyone ! I appreciate them, and so does my husband (I showed him your messages). :hug: You know, even though it's a well thought out project, I'll be honest : I'm really scared. But then I guess it's normal. CHange is a scary thing. What person would not be scared ? I know... a liar. :)

You have every right to be nervous, but not scared :) Change is a little intimidating, but good things will come out of it

Writer, I lived in Massachusetts my entire life until two years ago...my husband & I moved to Boynton Beach. I have a daughter in West Palm and a son in Davie....as well as another daughter who still lives in Mass. I must tell you that she and her son, my grandson, are the only things about Mass that I miss... I always said the "no way in Hell would I move to Florida". I didn't do it to be near the grownup kids...I did it so that we wouldn't have to "enjoy" another snowy cold winter. Well, we have had a bit of cold the two winters I've been here...but mostly it's too hot. Of course, you either are in your air conditioned home, or car, or store/restauant (whatever)... so none of that is a problem... I know you'll enjoy it...living is different here... no one seems to use their kitchen (although once in a great while I get a "domestic urge"). Where abouts are you planning to move? And, good luck!!

@HopeBrady, you're right, I should not be scared. But at the same time, I'm mostly worried about my girls (8 and 9). If we do move, I have one summer to teach them English. Right now, they understand a little, but they cannot speak it. (Of course they're French like us). And the new school, and everything, makes me wonder if they will be happy. Though I know children have a great capacity to adapt, better than adults, I can't help but worry. Then again, what a great experience for them, who will become bilingual, maybe even learn a third language after that. And they will learn so many other new things, make new friends. But this is still a bunch of "ifs". My husband passed his first phone interview. Second one on Friday, with a manager this time. So taking it one day at a time for now. :)

And @eweiner : I plan to use my kitchen. In fact, I plan to use it more than I do here. In winter, I usually feel so blah I don't feel like it. But sunny weather makes me want to do all sorts of weird stuff, like cooking, walking, swimming, smiling. :)

When I lived down in Illinois, I used to test vision and hearing in the school district, 22 schools, and one year we had this family of 12 kids from SPAIN that had moved to our area. Well, I had taken Spanish in high school, brought my English/spanish dictionary with me. The children ranged in age, so were in kindergarten, regular grammar school (grades 1-6, and Junior High. Grades 7 & 8. It worked out fine. The following year I brought the dictionary again, and definitely DID NOT NEED IT. Those kids all spoke great English, and hardly even an accent.
So, your kids will do well.
I do confess, I keep forgetting that you Speak French, because you write English so well. Congratulations to you, as I think you mentioned once you taught yourself.
I have a daughter who speaks fluent Spanish, travels to South America quite a bit in her job, and it is always amazing to me that a family member of mine can converse, write, etc. in another language. She even taught herself Portugese, plus some German.
Your children will do fine, trust me.

I agree, and don't forget, now all the schools have English as a second language classes. My daughter teaches it, and though she doesn't speak all the languages of her students, somehow she manages to communicate with them and is able to teach them how to speak and write properly in English. She has students from all over the world. I know your daughters will do great if the move works out for you.

I don't think all schools have those "English as a 2nd language" classes. They don't up here. Perhaps it depends on the area or school district.

They definitely have ESL classes in Texas. But like you said Barb, it probably depends on where you live. I would think many southern states (especially border states) have ESL classes because there is DEFINITELY a need for it....if you know what I mean.

Good luck Writer!! Praying your husband gets the job and y'all can make the big move.

@HopeBrady, you're right, I should not be scared. But at the same time, I'm mostly worried about my girls (8 and 9). If we do move, I have one summer to teach them English. Right now, they understand a little, but they cannot speak it. (Of course they're French like us). And the new school, and everything, makes me wonder if they will be happy. Though I know children have a great capacity to adapt, better than adults, I can't help but worry. Then again, what a great experience for them, who will become bilingual, maybe even learn a third language after that. And they will learn so many other new things, make new friends. But this is still a bunch of "ifs". My husband passed his first phone interview. Second one on Friday, with a manager this time. So taking it one day at a time for now. :)

And @eweiner : I plan to use my kitchen. In fact, I plan to use it more than I do here. In winter, I usually feel so blah I don't feel like it. But sunny weather makes me want to do all sorts of weird stuff, like cooking, walking, swimming, smiling. :)

I really wouldn't worry about your kids not being able to pick up the language. My best friend moved from Lebanon, where the only English she knew was what was spoken in school, and she picked up English in no time.

My niece is Canadian. A Quebequois (French Canadian). Her mother taught her only french before she died. My brother didn't speak much English either at the time. When I moved to the states to be closer to our ailing father they decided to learn. He took her to some classes that they had here. Some states have them. They are set up for kids and she really enjoyed it and picked up on it really quickly. She was only six then but they have classes here that go from 5 to adult. Maybe they will have them where you go too. :)

Kitten

Thanks, everyone ! All great thoughts and great ideas. My husband actually began looking at English classes if we do move. With these classes, and our help, you are right, it will work out. But as a mother, I'm nervous, and I think of my daughter's well being first and foremost. :) Anyway, as I said, tomorrow is another step, with the second phone interview. It may move forward, or stop right there. So I'll let you all know.

On a side note, I'm still amazed at how the relationships on this forum are developed. This is my first participation ever in a forum, and I am so glad I joined in. If we go to Florida, I will need time to make new friends, it may be hard the first couple of months, but it makes me feel so much better to know you will be here. So thanks again, my virtual friends !:hug:

Back