would really appreciate your thought (School lunch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovindaysalways

Reaction score
The school in my area and many other areas have decided that school lunches will no longer contain fat or salt. Many kids are not eating according to alot of other parents I have talked to, my girls refused to eat and were so hungry when they got home they were ruining their supper on after school snacks, I understand that they have alot of kids to consider but the food is not eatable and they switched to soy milk. So I have started pacling their lunch, I packed a salad kit, fruit cup, and a yogurt, the school told her that she was not allowed to have yogurt to take it home and not bring it again. I am really getting mad, I plan on calling the school tomorrow, I was hoping to get your opinions and feedback, Thanks:)

Rally the parents together, go talk to the principal, and if that does not help, the superintendant of the School District.....and finally, the school board.

That is ridiculous. Yogurt is much better than ice cream, a lot less calories.
What is the point of the school district being so strict if the children will not eat the unpalatable food?
Get a thermos for milk for your kids. Hungry kids will not be able to do their best in school in the afternoon. For cryin out loud, our school district began serving breakfast because so many kids were coming to school not having had any.
Am assuming the school is on a "healthy" kick, to over come obesity, etc.?????

Now that is ridiculous. I can see serving healthier foods...not to the extent of no fat and no salt...everyone needs some fat in their diet! But to say what the child can/cannot bring in a lunch from home is going way to far. I would DEFINITELY call the school and if need be the superintendent! it is not the school's business what you feed your own child!!! I can see not allowing the kids to share food, but to say she cannot eat something you packed her for lunch...NO WAY!!!

It is about obesity and our school has a breakfast program as well, but the food is discusting and I dont like that to me it feels like they are trying to take my parental right away to take care of my child the way I see fit. I guess it is part of a government program started by Michelle Obama (who by the way I liked until now ) it sounds like they are trying to make all schools go to this as far as feeding the kids is concerned, the really crazy thing is that my daughter ate the school salad almost everyday for lunch, it was her favorite and now she can't enjoy it because of the fat free dressing, the lunch lady wanted her to have a P B&J in place of her yogurt which to me is less healthy than the yogurt, yes they will be hearing from me tomorrow:(

Wow!! I'm all for making improvements in the lunches the schools serve the kids, but this sounds ridiculous! As Jammers points out, everyone needs some fat in their diet. But there is good fat and bad fat. Those making these decisions should educate themselves about the differences!!! What is the objection to the yogurt? Are they concerned about it being kept cold until lunch time? My grandkids have lunch packs that have a special space for an ice pack so that foods needing "refrigeration" can be kept cold.
I would definitely demand explanations and reconsiderations!!!!

Yogurt is not allowed!!!!! I can see if it was one packed with a lot of candy sprinkles, etc. in it.

Don't laugh......my doctor had me switch to Trix Yoplait because it is all natural. The fruit taste is from pureed berries (no hidden pear juice...I'm allergic to pears), the color is from beets (can't taste them), it has probiotics (all yogurt does), and there are no preservatives. The cups are about half the size of regular yogurt. It is really good, and my doc says it is the best yogurt for everyone. He just told me to only getthe berry and cherry flavors, and never get the cotton candy one. I don't see how they could object to something thst is so good for a person.

Ok that is just plain ridiculous. Google recommended calorie intake according to your child's age and level of activity and point out how the lunch you gave her is perfectly healthy. To me having the school take away yogurt from a lunch of salad and fruit is in my opinion abusive. There has got to be someone in child services or a health related agency that should be contacted that could be apprised of the situation and at the least they could look into this for the welfare of all the children at the school. Remember this story
http://fox8.com/2012/02/15/school-deems-childs-lunch-unhealthy-replaced-with-chicken-nuggets/ It made national news. You cannot be quiet about this. What the school is doing is going to starve the children.

Plus it has to be affecting the kids' ability to learn by the afternoon, our CPS is completely useless the state of Indiana has had to step in several times last year they let a 9 yr. old be beaten to death by his mother and her boyfriend after 13 people had called CPS 3 of which were teachers at the school CPS closed his case just 3 hours before he died, trust me when I say CPS does not care what the school is feeding our children:(

Well, this is sooo interesting. The weekly paper arrived with an entire booklet devoted to different things about the various schools, times, requirements, expectations, sports, extra curricular activities, ...just everything you might want to know. School calendar, events thruout the year........and the school lunch and breakfast policies, costs. etc.

Evidently there are guidelines for the National School Breakfast/Lunch program.

Primary & intermediate schools (Kg-2nd grade for primary, 3-5 is intermediate)
They get a choice between 2-3 entree' (Type A) plus 2 fruit choices, one fresh fruit offered daily, vegetable, bread and milk.
Middle (6-8) and High school (9-12) choose from between 6-9 Entree choices daily, plus they select from a variety of fruit, vegetables, as well as a grain and milk.

HOW AWFUL! This happened in my county, too. The CYS (Children and Youth Services) case manager, her supervisor, and the head of CYS were fired. Then they were charged with negligence. Case manager went to jail, and the other 2 received years of home probation with ankle monitors. The father and girfriend received long jail sentences. IMO, none of them got enough.

Poirot, the schools only have to follow those food guidelines if they're receiving federal money for their breakfast and lunch programs. Several of the schools around here (including my district) turned down the federal money for this school year because there are too many strings atached.

A no fat no salt lunch is unhealthy. This needs to be exposed to the news. First locally and keep going. Screw Indiana cps. And just who in the heck took the yogurt. Some lunch lady, teacher or who. Good grief kids need minerals in their diet is the school going to start serving them dirt if a bunch of muckity mucks decide it's good for them.

They found out his case manager was I believe trading drugs for benefits, he got drugs the people wre getting benefits, I don't remember the details completely, he got fired I don't know about jail time, if you google Devin Parsons Greensburg IN you can see all the terrible.and negligent details, it was pretty terrible in our small town. I feed my girls healthy and really hate being told what I can and can't feed them. They do have a few different options for their lunch, they must choose a fruit or veggie and they can get a tray lunch, a lunchable (one of the small ones ) or a peanut butter and jelly, they use all lo fat and no seasoning ingredients in these options. My daughter just told me that she was told the yogurt was full of sugar

@red.......well our school do accept the federal monies. Too many poor families. I.E. Lunch prices range from $2.00 for the really young kids to $2.30 for the high school But they can get reduced price of $.40 if income shows the need. And most do.

Yes Poirot about 80% of the kids in the school receive assistance paying for lunch and books

About 1/3 of the kids in my district get reduced or free lunches. All students can get a free breakfast. The teachers and administrators didn't take raises for this school year so the program could be funded through our local school taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back