would really appreciate your thought (School lunch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some yogurt cups ARE high in sugar. You do have to read labels on these things. I buy plain [unflavored] yogurt and add my own fruit. No sugar.

By the way ~ I was surprised that you mentioned no salt and no fat -- but nothing about sugar. In my opinion, sugar is the worst offender. We do need some salt and we do need some fat. We can get all the sugar we can handle from fruits and vegetables.

Here the soda police had soda with sugar banned. But they sell Gatoraid and that sort of crap that is loaded with sugar.

Oh that is crazy! I think society is being way to strict on the younger generation...Yeah I can definitely understand schools trying to enforce a healthier diet on the school but I mean doing without all fats and salts is silly. I grew up and there were no restrictions on our diets when I was younger and I'm not unhealthy....Kids are kids. Incorporating fruits and veggies and other healthy foods is definitely important but you have to remember they are KIDS! lol Let them live a little bit! I would do what Poirot said...rally the parents and take it to the principal or the school board...Good lucK!

Thanks all, I am going to talk to the principal tomorrow, my family says I need to start at the top of the chain of command and go directly to the board first but Iam hoping a polite friendly talk with the principal will take care of the problem, I am really not wanting to be nit picky but I feel like this is an attack on my rights as a parent and though it seems our government is going that route they will have to drag me through this ridiculousness kicking and screaming, ahhhh the world we live in, it scares me a little especially for my girls:)

Good luck. Just remember that we know our children better than anyone else and we are our children's best advocates.

I'm sorry... but the school doesn't have a right to tell a parent what s/he can or cannot send to school for their own kid. If a lunch is questionable (I'm talking general nutrition, not specific ingredients), the school can talk to the parent, offer suggestions, or even offer the kid a school lunch. But they should generally keep their noses out of what you pack for you own child's lunch. Good luck with this one!

That is absolutely ridiculous. I wouldn't call the school LovingDays, I would just contact the board. The school is not the one paying for your groceries, and to expect families to put that much effort into lunches is absolutely ridculous.

my child's school is also on a healthy kick--but the food is good for the most part...but my child hates it. so I pack a lunch. I don't have a lot of money, and there was a day that I ran out of her juices but didn't get paid until the next day...so I put a orange fanta (soda) from my mom's house in there. It is not my first choice, but when you don't have money, you go with what you got. they sent me a bill for the milk they forced her to buy and sent the soda home. I cried... not only was I being judged as a parent, but I felt my financial worries were judged. I was broke, that's why she had the stupid fanta...and now I was also indept to the school. Granted, it was only a small amount for a milk....but nevertheless, I was in debt.

LIVID. I've never been so angry or insulted in my life.

**correction: My child doesn't really hate all the healthy foods, she'll eat the "healthy" school food about once or twice a week...she likes a few of the recipes. and when I visit, I always eat it, cause I think its delicious LOL.

It is unbelieveable to me how schools, administrators, etc think that they have a right to tell us what to feed our kids. I can see adhering to a dress code or behaving properly in class and if that is not done, then that should be addressed/the parents should be told. But when it comes to food...it is not their place to say what I feed my children! It simply is just NOT THEIR PLACE! As long as they are not sharing thier food with other students, then it should never be an issue! UGH...this did not even happen to me and I am :mad:...I think I have steam coming out of my ears!

If you do not get anywhere with the school system...principal, superintendent, school board...or whoever you speak with, post their phone # on here and let some of us make some phone calls on your behalf...that might get their attention!! :D

lovingdays.....I think you have to go directly to the school, and speak to the principal. They can avoid phone calls. (hey, threaten a law suit if they won't let your child have yogurt or whatever it is you pack for them. )

Here in Quebec, we also have restrictions that make preparing snacks and lunches complicated. And I was curious if it was the same thing in the United States. For instance, here, we can't pack anything that can contain nuts, because of allergies. I do understand, but it's still not always easy. It's not just the peanut butter/jelly sandwiches, but also all types of granola bars or cookies (even those healthy versions). For a while, the school in my district wanted to ban all milk products, including yogourts and cheeses. :eek: That did not go well with parents and we won our cause. Enough is enough ! Still, now the snacks allowed are veggies, fruits, and cheese or yogourts. And the worst is some teachers add their own sets of rules. One day, I gave one of my daughters crackers and cheese. The teacher said no crackers, because she did not want to check if they were healthy or not. I almost called to tell her : "Then don't check, it's not your job, let me do it !" but I did not want to cause trouble for my daughter so I kept quiet. Another teacher put a note telling me to give my youngest fruits and not candies, when in fact, I had given her those little pieces of dried fruits that contained absolutely no sugar !!!! I tell you, if the teachers spent their time doing their job instead of checking what I do here, my daughters would be ready to graduate and speak three different languages (no offense to teachers out there, but some here are really focused on anything and everything except teaching).

Anyways, rant over. But do you have these kind of restrictions in the US too ?

Well I have good and bad news. Her principal says that other parents have called with the same issue but there are no rules except no pop or fast food. The bad news is that my neighbor is working in the lunch room and saying we are not friends is putting it nicely, she is the kind of person who would and has included our children in this adult problem we are having, for now I am just going to watch the situation closely, the principal said he has already planned a meeting with the lunchroom staff because he thinks that they have confused the healthy meal plan and how it does not apply to lunches sent from home. Thank ya'll so much for your support and advice:)

Glad that it is not a school or district policy regulating what is brought from home and only a lady with an attitude problem.

I started this post about 30 minutes ago, but got busy and did not submit it:
When I was in school, we brought whatever our mom's packed in our lunchbox (or that we packed ourselves), we shared/traded with our friends, we had fun holiday parties...like Valentine's day and CHRISTMAS...and we ate sugary, full of fat goodies. In high school many times my lunch was a coke and chips from the vending machine (and *gasp*...my mom knew about it!)....mainly because I was too lazy to pack a lunch, LOL. And believe it or not, I am still alive, do not have diabetes, do not have high blood pressure, am not obese, etc, etc.

I know when I got to Jr. High the big thing was we had an ala cart line, I had deap fried french fries and pepperoni pizza with full of fat ranch dressing. This ala cart line doesnt exist any more and the only fries they serve now are baked sweet potato fries. It must really suck to grow up in this generation, lol. I get to tell my kids that when I was growing up MTV played music and we had yummy food at school. They arent allowed to celebrate anything now and I cant send them balloons or flowers for bdays either. I loved flowers sent to school on my bday it made me feel so special:)

I know all the music videos and french fries and I am not dead or even unhealthy, lol. These poor kids are sure missin out.:)

How about throwing a little PE in the mix that’s just as important as what you eat. Our schools cut PE years ago NO FUNDS!

Our schools still have PE once or twice a week in elementary, but not recess, unless the teacher decides to make an exception! Jr High does not require PE. Sr high does require one year of PE.
I really could not believe it when a mom told me no recess....the youngsters need a break to recharge their minds and run off some energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back