10-12-2016 - Donuts & Ads

Noel

Reaction score
Good Morning!

The pre-dawn light is beautiful, and the coolest time of the day. Just reviewing the catalogs and ads received in yesterdays mail. The political adds were not requested or appreciated. We feel like children watching their fighting parents divorce who just want to go live with grandma!! Thank goodness we have less than a month to endure this cycle.

Wishing each of you a love mid-week Wednesday. Just 3 days to go before a day off. Take care and God Bless you!

Good morning. Another grey day here, rained during the night, everything is wet. A cold front is moving in and thru the area, so they say. 45 right now. 75% of leaves from the big maple on edge of lake in front are down. Yes, there is still a lot of color, mostly the shades of yellow.

Have to finish the laundry, some reports, and I do have to get into town today. Well, gasoline prices are on their way back up back, never ends, does it?

Noel, good analogy about the current political scene.

Yep, it is wearing sweaters, heavy jackets, warmer clothes, and of course, the furnace has been going as well.

Take care all.......

Good morning everyone. I live in an old frame house and this is embarrassing, but I'll tell you anyway. I've been hearing something scratching in my walls and couldn't decide what it might be. Today I found a small hole on the baseboard behind my computer desk with wood shavings underneath (where I heard some noise). I was thinking termites or carpenter ants, so I searched online.

I gotta love how wikihow.com wants me to identify the pest. I'd need a microscope to do that, lol. The Orkin site was better at helping me decide. The hole is a telltale sign of carpenter ants. They don't eat the wood, just make a hole to throw out the refuse of their tunneling. This reminds me of the Chevy Chase movie "Funny Farm" where his character is looking at this rickety bridge he's supposed to cross. He says, "This isn't a bridge. It's termites holding hands." This isn't a movie, though, and it isn't termites (I don't think). Such is life.

My landlords are nice, but very frugal (and I'm putting this nicely, lol), so I doubt anything will be done for extermination.

Take care.

From what I read, JS, it's a little more complicated than setting off a bomb. They also build satellite nests. That's probably why I heard them in my bathroom wall, too. Grrrrrr!!

Here is a piece of evidence. Nope, not termites, though the Orkin site did say it took a lot longer for carpenter ants to do structural damage. I never really wanted to research carpenter ants, lol. This baseboard is 31/2" high, so not a big hole.

carpenterants.jpg

POIROT hope your errands go smoothly today. Enjoy the crisp Autumn breezes.

KT that is awful. Do they bite you? Sure hope your landlords deal with this promptly. You might hint it is always cheaper to deal with it now before costly structure damage. Thinking of you.

JS that is also a fave flick of mine. I always laugh.

Kt, my sister had the carpenter ants getting into her house, and her house was/is rock, but I guess they went under the rock. Came in under the kitchen sink. I don't know that she ever dealt with it, as she was in decline at the time. I should ask my niece about the ants. Nobody lives in the house right now but she is trying to preserve the house, with the idea of moving in at some point. I hope something can be done in your situation. Landlord really should do something but you can't make them.

Poirot, I get the creeps just thinking about your continual rainy, damp weather! Have a good trip to town.

Noel, I hope the next three days will pass as quickly for you as they probably will for me. You may still be needing some extra rest time. What time zone are you in? I never can remember if Arizona is one hour or two hours different from here. I'm thinking at least part of the state doesn't do daylight savings.

I may go to town today. Haven't been to Wal-Mart in nearly two weeks, I think. Time to stock up on some things. Rain back in the forecast tomorrow and Friday.

Fortunately Noel, I can tell you a little about carpenter ants that I never knew before, lol. They are not aggressive, do not sting, but obviously have a bite that can hurt, since they can bite wood. Don't pick one up, lol. I hope I'm not literally being eaten out of house and home!

Oh, I live in carpenter ant country. Before we bought this house, they evidently had a huge infestation, we can see the evidence in the wood beams in the basement. This house used to be an old log cabin, which has additions put on, with the bottom brick. But the side of the house is still all logs. We keep a close eye.

Anyway, we DO buy those fumigators, tis a blue box, Raid. You have to have all windows & doors closed up, and must leave the house for at least 3 hours. No food sitting out (I put the sugar bowl, bread, etc. in the frig.

The good thing is, it does get into the walls and works for a some time after. My cousin worked for Orkin for over 10 years, knows everything about getting rid of pests like that.

We once had a big pine go down in a storm. So this huge tree was on side of our road, and you could hear the noise. Yep, those carpenter ants inside the trees, sawing away, all the residue shoved outside. Needless to say, the tree got cut up and made part of an all day bonfire. LOL The ants are huge black ones.

We put one or two down in the basement, and one in the house upstairs. You would be surprised at how well they work.

Morning all~

Beautiful morning here, it rained too but now nicer. Probably rain again before the day is done.

We had our end of the year golf dinner. I was thrilled I won my flight. ( now it's flight C but still cool.)

Our leaves are still mostly on the trees. Flowers are still pretty; not wanting a frost to kill them. Also not ready to move in my 8 + house plants that I put out.

Wish I could post a pic of my poinsettia that I have been growing. It's huge! Loved the summer weather on the deck. I did not do anything special but put it out and water it just like all the other tropicals that I have. It's about waist high.

Take care all~

Maybe that's why Remmy won't pay attention to the noise in the wall, lol. I've tried to get her to check it out for me, but she just cocks her head and walks away. Maybe they don't smell?

Thanks for the info Poirot. If they are pretty big, as ants go, I've never seen one. I guess they like to hide and just tease me, lol.

Morning Everyone,

KT - good luck with those ants. I'd let the landlord know. It's way cheaper to fix before than after.

Noel - feel better

Poirot - good luck with the errands

TB- congrats on the win

JS - your poor puppy.

Noel - currently I only watch shows on the DVR so I can fast forward through commercials

OC - best wishes for an easy trip to Wal-mart

Hubby signed us up to switch TV service (from Uverse to DirectTV) on Friday to save about $50 a month. I'm going to lose 2 weeks worth of Days episodes. Any really good ones I need to watch before then, as I know there's now way I can watch that many before Friday? I've read the summaries (thank you for keeping me from getting lost). Gena is so upset that she'll be losing some of her favorite movies, I may have to try to find them on DVD.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Morning, all. Quick pop in to say hi. We too have our sweaters and heavier jackets now. Had a bit of snow but that's disappearing.

Kt - Hope you are able to get the ant problem fixed. Noise in the walls would irritate me. When we bought our first condo, about after a week we moved in we would hear scratching noises at night in the wall. As we did not have a bed frame at the time, we had the box spring and mattress just on the floor. Well, I woke up to scratching knowing that it was a mouse/mice and beside me, running along side the box spring was a mouse. I couldn't get back to sleep that night. LOL! Anyway, we set traps the very next day and over 4 days we must have a caught about 4 mice. Never had a problem after that first week.

This is a short short work week for me. I had Monday off for Thanksgiving and this Friday is my every other Friday off, so tomorrow, Thursday is my Friday. Clear as mud? LOL! Friday night we are prepping everything to make pickle relish, then Saturday my husband is going to cook and jar with his aunt and I will be heading out west of Calgary in the forestry to chop and gather firewood.

Have a good rest of the week everyone.

Oh, Muzza, you just reminded me of "Oscar". I still laugh about this, but I was a kid, we lived in a 3rd floor apt. and would hear the scratching, or noise in the walls, even around the baseboard. Well, Mom found evidence of a mouse, we even spotted it, but that little dickens evaded any and every trap that got set. Mostly it was in the pantry that opened into the small kitchen. That pest got into flour, cereal, probably figured a bonanza for him. Well, when I began dating my hubby, who worked nights, like my mom, she sometimes, as she walked past his house, and he was just coming home, would invite him over and make breakfast. And one morning he was commenting on the blueberry pancakes. LOL. Those were NOT blueberries. Oscar must have had a field day, and can't believe Mom never noticed as she mixed batter. LOL.

The people who lived under us on second floor, moved out, and the new renters decided to really "redo" the apt. getting layers and layers of wallpaper off the walls. And thus all the noise and smells drove the mice into the basement, twas amazing how many met their maker down there, but worse, how many had been in the walls. O.K. you all can stop making faces, just go back and chuckle over the blueberry pancakes. LOL

Good afternoon all,

Another mild day here, about 70F. Some more reds, oranges, and yellows appearing here and there, but overwhelmingly still green on the trees.

OMG Muzza and Poirot, I would've had a heart attack. Mice and rats terrify me!! I've seen a few at work, and publicly--and rather embarrassingly--started having a bit of a freak out. It's hard for me to gain my composure even after they're gone--I'm still shaking after like 15 minutes.

I have a bit of homework to do before I leave for Denver tomorrow! I'm so excited! And I'm not missing any work days--I worked the past two Saturdays (which normally are my day off) to make up for the Thursday and Friday I'd otherwise be missing, and they didn't schedule me for Sunday anyways, which works perfectly.

Have a nice day everyone.

We rented a place once that ended up with a bad mouse infestation. We'd set traps in the kitchen and walk out, turn off the light and within 10 minutes we'd have caught one. We did that every 10-15 minutes for 2.5 days, before it finally stopped and we got them all. Thankfully we discovered the problem over a weekend.

Hubby released the ones that didn't die instantly into a huge bucket half full of water to drown them. It was so gross. We had to wash all of our dishes and kitchen cabinets when they were gone. And during that, I kept dry packaged goods in a cooler (like the kind for camping) to prevent it from getting contaminated. :sick:

Now that we own our house we have a cat, and have only ever had 5 or 6 mice total in 9 years that Squeaker catches and kills for me. Then leaves them for me dead on the kitchen floor so she gets a reward. Although she watches the dead ones to make sure they really are dead. :rotfl:

Morning all.

Love all the mice and critter stories.

We had a problem at our cabin. Not sure how it was fixed. I just picked up Mr. Gus' food at night and washed dishes and silverware prior to eating. My uncle was up the weekend after I left and took care of the issue.

It was a wonderful cool evening last night. Woke up to 68 degrees. Delightful.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday.

Mice stories. So often they are the funniest stories and experiences that everyone can share.

DaysD - I had not seen a live rat until I was the age of 25 when I went to Malaysia. I'm going to toot my own province' horn here, but Alberta is the only rat free place in the world. Now you might be saying that is impossible, but we have natural barriers to the west and the south, being the Rockies.

And along the borders of Saskatchewan and British Columbia. And along the border of Alberta and Montana, we have a provincial rat patrol that monitors the trains and semi trucks carrying livestock, feed and food related products to ensure they do not come across rat nests.

When a rat has been discovered, it is reported immediately and the rat patrol moves in. A few years back, we almost lost our rat free status because of an infestation at a dump in south eastern Alberta but they were destroyed before they could multiply.

My whole point is that I didn't realize how large rats could get and to see them running around in a park in Malaysia and seeing them in Australia, I was so thankful that I had not ever experienced confrontations with rats.

A rainy day here. Thunderstorms now. This morning, Goldie and I were able to take a walk
in between the heavy rain. We saw a rainbow. The whole thing. The high tomorrow is
supposed to be in the 60s.

manda, you can watch Days on NBC. They are keeping episodes up longer, but I'm not sure by how much.

kt, sorry to hear about the ants in the walls. It would freak me out if I heard the noise. I hope
you can figure out some remedy that won't be too expensive.

Noel, I get a lot of catalogs. I'm glad I can recycle all the junk mail I get. I need to remind
places I order from not to sell my name.

DaysD, have a great trip.

I hope YPG is ok. I've read that NC got more flooding.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day.

Good morning, all. It is a spectacularly beautiful day here at the moment. But if forecasts are correct, this may well be the end of "summer" here. We have a parade of storms due to arrive -- starting tonight. The one that is expected to hit on Saturday will potentially have hurricane force winds. There are long lines at the gas stations as people fill up their tanks. I'm guessing the grocery stores are also swamped. Batten down the hatches!!!!!!!

Noel - so agree with the advertisements coming in the mail!

KT - My daughter had the same problem when she first moved back here and was renting an apartment downtown, only they were getting bitten. Notified management and they called in someone and said nope couldn't find a thing. My daughter showed them the hole in the wall and her bites and let them listen to the scratching in the walls. Couldn't find a thing so she called in someone and they discovered they had bats living in the rafters and they were bat mites. Good luck. I wouldn't let it go too long!

Manda - how did Gena's conference go?

DaysD - have fun in Denver

We woke up to a big 29 degrees! We were warned so we blew out the sprinkler lines when we got home and he rotor tilled the garden. I lost probably 40% of my summer flowers, so sad. I trimmed my hostas down while he mowed. Rain coming tomorrow.

Have a great day

Back