10-12-2016 - Donuts & Ads

The election mail I don't mind. It goes straight to the shredder. I don't bother to even read it. What I HATE are the unsolicited phone calls at all hours of the day and night, landline AND cell phone. I have a call blocker on the landline and I have exceeded the 500 additional numbers I can add to the list. Grrrrrrrrrr. And with phones in all the rooms of the house, even if I silence one, the other 4 ring away. We have a policy now if we don't recognize the number or name attached, it goes to voicemail. But still, 7 am on a Saturday?? 10 pm on a Tuesday night? Stop bothering me.

Rant over. Thank you for your time.

Some of those too early, too late calls (for me) are telemarketers. I have let unknowns go to voice mail, but when it is a recording..........egads, it goes on forever before I can remove it. Grrrrr.

Manda - how did Gena's conference go?

It went well, the teacher said she's very friendly and gets along great with the other students, but at times a bit too chatty (not suprised here), although with a reminder gets right back to work. She's at 99% for math, her reading is the real struggle, but she's making great progress now that she's working with the tutor, and reading more at home.

I was most surprised by the fact that she talks about how much she misses my mother-in-law. The teacher said Gena talks about missing Grandma almost every day when they have free time, or even time to journal their thoughts, so much so that she started writing her own book about what it was like to have Grandma die.

The teacher also mentioned that several of the other students in the class have also lost grandparents so they tend to talk about it as a group, and have bonded over the experience. I knew she missed her, as she'll talk about it with me too, but I didn't realize how much. Overall it was good. :)

Oh my, all your talk about house pest has me laughing and cringing at the same time, lol. When I first went off to college (early 1980s), I worked for Big K/Walmart. A coworker and I went to the break room, just off the warehouse area, and were confronted by a huge rat standing on its hind legs. I didn't know rats could get that big! We nearly knocked each other down getting out of there. No one ever found that rat.

currently I only watch shows on the DVR so I can fast forward through commercials

I had trouble watching Days on the NBC website until a little birdie mentioned getting an ad blocker. Now I can watch in about 37 minutes.

LOL. Those were NOT blueberries.

Oh my!!! :rotfl::rotfl:

One time, same apt. bldg, same little kid, I went down the back stairs 2 apts. on each floor, shared a porch.... stairs went down to alley, also a walkway to the front & street. It was around dusk, and I was walking towards the front of the bldg. A big rat ran over my foot. I screamed bloody murder, ran to the front, and I guarantee you, NEVER, EVER went that way in evening ever again. So, big, yes, those dang things are big. I was about 11 yrs. old then. Probably seemed even bigger to me then. LOL.

Mandy.....that is interesting about Gena missing her gramma.

P.S. I used to always get checkmarks on report card for talking in class. LOL And then in high school, I was sooo shy and never talked. Ha. Glad she is doing so well in the reading area.

Poirot - I almost think it's affecting Gena more now that my father-in-law is not doing well either. It kind of refreshes it all in her mind.

It's kind of funny the little things she notices, like all the rooms in the hospital having a cross hanging above the door. I never noticed, but Gena pointed it out to me when we visited my father-in-law on Sunday. She said look mama, Grandpa has a cross in his room, just like the ones Grandma had in her rooms.

Last edited:
Oh my, these pest stories bring back many memories for me. The most recent one is from around noon today, when I wheeled the husband out onto the deck in his wheelchair, to go down the ramp, as we were headed for town. Just outside the door, at the edge of the threshold, there were numerous rat pills. Not mouse but rat! Ugh! So disgusting but I'm glad they were outside, not inside. When we got back from town they were gone. A cold front had hit out of the north, so I think the wind must have blown them off the deck.

Muzz, your description of how your area is kept rat free is one of the most incredible things I've ever heard! How very interesting. I had no idea something like that could be possible.

I found another frog in my house this evening. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to
get it outside. It was in the living room. It jumped on the side of the magazine rack. I took
it outside and knocked frog off with a stick. A lot better than what everyone else finds in
their house.

Hi everyone. This is just a pop in post since I'm headed for bed. I had a long long day in the little rural town where the first successful oil well was drilled in the 1800s. Despite all of the kids at the 3 schools there, I'm feeling somewhat better, but exhausted.

Yikes to all to the critter stories today. Thankfully, it is quiet at my house for now since the big fat chipmunk has been disposed of. The squirrels even seem happier.

YPG - I'm glad your area is starting to recover from the flooding.

Actually I do have a $100 deductible.

My sister had told me that USAA was doing the food spoilage thing with no deductible and no proof (not saying to be untruthful, just like they were not stressing over evidence like pics and all that jazz) and to check with my company, Progressive, which is when I found out about my deductible. I still figured it was worth it because I only buy my meats on the 1st and divide, vacuum seal and mark everything, so big loss for me.

So I was talking to the adjuster and was like yeah USAA is doing blah, blah, blah right now because of the hurricane, y'all should do that too. The lady was like she used to work for USAA and she knows exactly how they work/what they are doing and that she going was to file a $600 claim and I get $500 and pay no deductible.

Yes she needed to know how long my electricity was out and a general inventory of my freezers but she stopped me after I got about halfway through listing the stuff and was like that is good, your claim is granted.Then she got my bank info to direct deposit the money instead of sending a check and I already got the money, so yay!

Manda - sounds like Gena is a little doll! Very caring and loving! Those are two very important characters that you should pat yourself on the back for. Isn't it sad that at such a young age they have to deal with losing someone? Ember mentions my Mom all the time too!

Back