10/27/17 - Donuts and Big Boy

Good Morning,

OC - your thread subject gave me a laugh, especially since I immediately thought of Sonny too. :rotfl:

Kat - freeze warnings - story of my life after October 15th. Stay warm, my southern friends.

Well, hubby mowed the lawn one last time and finally took the pool down yesterday. I guess the 30* overnight temps finally convinced him that we wouldn't be swimming anymore this year, not that we've been in the pool in over a month. Today I'll be leaving work early for Gena's eye doctor appointment. Can't wait to see what she picks out for glasses this time. Currently she's using an old pair of my frames with updated lenses, as new frames were not covered for her last year and her old frames were too small for her head.

It's a good thing I keep all my old frames, she had about 5 pairs to choose from. I update the lenses on an old pair on the years I can't get new frames either. So I always have my new prescription in an old pair of frames, but they feel new again since I hadn't worn them in awhile. Every so often I'll donate a pair or 2 to the Lions Club so they can give them to someone less fortunate who can't afford glasses.

We'll be having a busy weekend again. The annual Girl Scout Halloween Party is tomorrow in the form of an outdoor Zombie Apocalypse event at the local Girl Scout Camp. We have 4 girls attending, so that will be fun. Sunday (after church and Sunday School) Gena will be attending a birthday party for one of her friends at a local bowling alley. She's super excited for that. Somewhere in there I need to get groceries, but I'm not exactly sure when I'll work that in.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Morning all.

Manda - that drives me nuts the we will pay for your lenses every year but your frames every other year. As if it makes sense to run around with the lenses glued to a stick?? Even so called cheap frames aren't exactly cheap. Some years I used have better frames than others. My eyes still change and I need new lenses annually, and new frames.

After I asked about it at a "what bugs you meeting" just prior to the company negotiating with the vision plan people. They were also talking to dental plan too. I mentioned this. So now instead of covering frames at 100% every other year they cover frames at 80% every year. So the frames I picked out this year cost me less than $20. Well just less. So for me it worked out.

Off to fun things today.

Thoughts and prayers for a smooth move and recovery for Poirot.

Good Friday to all.

I went back to bed and slept for a little while. I'm grateful for the extra bit of sleep and should feel happy but I've let some aggravations get to me. Have to take a few deep breaths and get on with it.

The wind was fierce all night and is still at it today. We're supposed to get to the 50s* but have been stuck on 45* since the wee hours, cloudy too. Yes, we are in the freeze warning, like you, Kat. I meant to go check a hydrant at one of the hunters' camps yesterday but forgot it. I'm hoping the freeze won't be too severe or last for very long.

The cold, blustery weather has got me wanting comfort food, only I can't think of anything that sounds good or that I have or can make. I'm not about to go to town in this wind. But I do have to go sometime before Halloween to get some candy. I checked with the young mother of five little ones and she is planning to come around, as she has in recent years. She'll probably have a friend with some kids with her. That's a good size bunch for us, considering we didn't have any at all for about 30 years!

Manda, good idea, to reuse the frames. I've thought about doing that but never have. I've recently gotten two notices that my checkup is due so that is something to consider. By the time I pay for graduated lenses and new frames, it seems like a small fortune! I usually go a few years without needing new glasses but I haven't been able to see well with the ones I got a year ago so I'm pretty sure I'll get a change this time. I had to laugh a little about your husband and the swimming pool. Glad he got the yard mowed though. I've been waiting for my mower guy for three weeks. Hope he comes this weekend. My yard is a scraggly mess, part green, part brown, tall in places, short in others.

Robin, $20 sounds heavenly to me. I've never had any insurance to help with glasses.

Stay warm, everybody. Well, except for Robin and Noel. You'll have to pretend I didn't say that. Sorry.

Oh poor Poirot. So miserable to be moving in the snow and to not have anything working properly is aggravating. Praying that things get fixed for her fast.

JS - thank you for giving us an update.

OC - I made chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese for supper last night as I too was in the mood for comfort food. :)

Robin - good job on getting your vision insurance improved. I keep trying to get my company to cover high index lenses in stead of just regular plastic, without any luck. We all stare at computers all day and the anti-glare sure would make a difference.

Good afternoon to all. The title of this thread also made me think of think of Big Boy Sonny. If the K-mansion has security footage of the living room, he's probably taking it as fast as he can to Victor to prove that nasty Brady is unfit to run Titan. In the real world, it's a beautiful crisp fall day on Long Island -- perfect for walking the beagle. As for poor Poirot, moving and getting snowed on -- what a total bummer. The only time I can recall getting wet snow so early in the year here was a few days after the notorious 2012 Sandy storm, which badly flooded coastal areas. The neighbor's new tree, which had survived the tropical storm, lost a few branches.

Happy Friday!

My sister and I are off to do some Christmas shopping and have a quiet leisurely lunch in a few hours. I am looking forward to this as a perfect way to hear about her trip to Italy last month. So glad I had a few hours extra I could take off due to OT worked last Saturday.

Other than that, we have an ordinary weekend planned. Of course, nothing ever goes as planned, so we will see what happens!

Thinking of you all. Especially Poirot!

OC: what a dream! :)

Kat: wishing you a great Friday.

Manda: your weekend sounds fun packed for all of you! How fun for Gena to pick new frames and for you to watch her choose style/color/fit. Hope the Girl Scout's party is a roaring success. Glad your husband did some chores yesterday as that exercise should lift his mood too.

Robin: enjoy your 'fun things' today! Just not being in this heat should be a blast!

OC: comfort food is always on my mind. Please shake some of that cold blustery weather farther west so it reaches our area! We are desperate for under 98F weather here!

JS: thanks for the update on Poirot. She has been on my mind, even my dreams, the last few days. Thanks for reassuring her we would all be there to help if it were possible. Snow?! Now that would make me dance but I doubt it is helpful at this stage of the moving in process. Blessings to Barb!

DrBakerFan: enjoy your crisp autumn New York day!

I'm not feeling perky today like on Wed. I probably did too much yesterday since
it was so nice out. I think the grey cat has a home. One house has been feeding it.
Today the cat on their window sill meowing. I hope they let it in since it will
be cold tonight. Goldie and I only went twice around because it was so cold.
I need
to feed the birds later. The daisy plant has a flower blooming today. It's the fourth
or fifth time the plant has gotten flowers.

JS, thanks for the update on Barbara. I'm glad things are hooked up even though
they aren't working properly.

Noel, have a good afternoon with your sister.

manda, I hope Gena does well at the eye exam.

OC, I had soup with my lunch today.

kt, take care of yourself.

Wishing everyone a good day and night.

Good morning all and OC left out part of her dream. And I figure we're all friends here but it should've read,
Sonny Kiriakas was in my kitchen making biscuits
in nothing but his apron!! :tsk:

Snow where Poirot is at? Yikes!! We are having a pretty nice fall but that aways and will change right after Halloween.

Have a good Friday and weekend Katmouse.

Manda I'm coming for soup. Have a good guide weekend.

Enjoy the time with your sis, Noel.

Frames aren't cheap, Robin. Just the frames alone are $250+ here. Through benefits at work this helps as the dollar amount renews every two years but it eaten up and then out of pocket for the remaining cost. I know people that will do an all inclusive somewhere in Mexico and get major dental work done and eye exams plus buying 3 pairs of glasses and this would sometimes be half the cost of what is would cost in Alberta. And they get a holiday out of it. It's ridiculous what these life essentials cost because we have to to maintain overall health.

Have a nice walk doc baker.

Thanks for the update JS.

It's all good kt. We all need to remove ourselves to refocus our energy. Hope you feel better soon.

Kat, is it normal for your daisies to still be flowering at this time of year where you live?

Currently it is 17*C (62.6*F) and am not working today.I brewed a pot of Irish Cream coffee that RS sent me, watched an episode of Slasher, Days, and slowly watching This is Us. I am on episode 5 or around there in season 1. About to go for a drive along the foothills in the T-bird then I have rehearsal tonight.

Tomorrow we are getting our costumes together for a Halloween party downtown. My husband is going as a Haunted Carne or Cowboy and I picked up my costume at the Halloween store and am going as Dr. Ken Abyss.

doctor-ken-abyss-md-costume.jpg

Sunday is rehearsal again. Have a nice day and weekend everyone.

KT: saying a little prayer for you during this 'crisis'. We always miss you so thanks for checking in with us today.

Kat: hope you spend time today bolstering your immune system with rest, veggies, fruit and recreation. You deserve a break to finish recuperating.

Muzza: be careful what you ask for! :clap:

Manda: home made chicken noodle soup takes a long time to simmer to be really good. When do you have the time to do that for 24-48 hours? I know I don't so I buy Progresso's every time.:)

Muzz, as for Big Boy Sonny in his apron---I think I prefer to concentrate on the biscuits he was making. I hope they were buttermilk. :rotfl:

J.S., the paste sounds interesting. Bouillon cubes and granules have a sweet taste that is sickening to me.

Clear soups are not too appealing to me but I'd sure go for some of Manda's split pea/ham soup! My family always had homemade vegetable-beef soup. But my favorite soup is a homemade cheddar cheese soup. Haven't made it in a very long time but oh so good!

Kat, daisies are my favorites. Enjoy yours for the rest of today. Our wild ones cover the area in the spring and hang around for the summer. Only a few have made it until now. Hope the cat got a good home.

I was so glad to get the update on Poirot. I wish the snow could have stayed away a little bit longer. I figured her internet wasn't working yet. I bet we'll see her pop in as soon as she gets it going.

Well, the crisis has been resolved. My brother called my mother and found out she had fallen out of a kitchen chair and couldn't get up. She assured him she was OK and would manage on her own, but of course he called me (he was miles away near Dothan, AL). When I got there, poor Baxter heard me come inside and had a very upset bark; nothing like the usual playful, excited bark. Mama was just sitting on the floor in the living room with stuff all around her, things that fallen to the floor, etc.

It's kind of funny now, because she was quite ingenious while trying to get herself up. She had her three-wheeled walker (which had turned over) with her handy E-Z-Reach on board. When she scooted herself to the living room and tried to get up using a lift chair, she discovered she need to be higher. She scooted back to the breakfast room, took cushions off the chairs and dragged them back to the living room, BUT couldn't hold herself up while she put the cushions under her. I must say, she was tenacious and gave it good try, lol!

I use chicken bouillon in all my chicken dishes, gumbo, etc., too. It does make a difference.

Time to relax, now!

Back