10/27/17 - Donuts and Big Boy

Hi everyone. Checking in late today because I returned home from the work conference yesterday with a horrible migraine in tow. Spent today doing a binge watch of season 2 of Netflix's Stranger Things.

I hope Poirot is able to settle in and moving issues are resolved quickly. I'm glad she won't face another winter of being snowed in for days at a time so far from town.

If you like ham and bean soup, there is also a jarred ham broth paste that is excellent.

KT, thank goodness your mom didn't break any bones.

Muzza, I hope you liked the coffee

Time for more tea. Then back on the couch for me.

Last edited:
RS, I've seen Netflix's Stranger Things promoted, but haven't watched any of it yet. I don't usually like to watch a series on there, but it does seem pretty good.

For those who don't know, my mother had osteomyelitis as a child and it almost killed her. Thank God penicillin was released to the public in the nick of time. She lost a lot of bone, though. She has no hip or knee joints on her right leg (the bone that was left is fused) so she cannot bend that leg. She has been great at coming up with ways to compensate for her handicap.

kt, I'm glad your mom didn't break any bones. She's a tough woman to be able
to so much without the full use of one leg.

KT: so relieved your mother did not break a major bone or hurt her head. Falling, over age 60, is very dangerous. Your mother is one determined lady and you have a great model of an independent woman. Enjoy relaxing tonight.

Squirrel: binge watching can be so relaxing. Enjoy some rest after your travels. Thanks for the tip on ham paste brands.

Re eyeglass frames, I usually pick another pair, because the old ones will have gotten a little shabby. Might make an exception this time, as the current pair are OK. Had asked the fitter for memory wire frames, and ended up with titanium; supposedly the same thing. :rolleyes: Whatever, they have held up very well, so will probably use them with new lenses, this time, presuming they are still being made (spare parts.)

On the rare occasions that I make chicken soup, I struggle with getting the broth strong enough. Had some jars of paste from Gordon's Food Service; good, but too salty. They may have salt-free, going to check.

Was looking at a Chinese cookbook the other day, discovered while shopping in the garage. :rolleyes: It's chicken broth recipe called for 2 qts of water, and a whole chicken (4lbs + - ?) :eek:

PS: A half-teaspoon of paste really improves a cup of ramen noodles. :)

KT, I'm glad your mom is OK; I hope she feels better, soon!

Have a very restful night, everyone!

Back