11-16-2017 - Donuts & Cool Breezes

I'm safe from airports and planes, since I never go near them, but now I'm wondering about waiting rooms in doctors offices and other public places. Here's another horror story: Several years ago my cousin's daughter in California got the flesh eating disease (I forget the name) from a blood pressure cuff. I don't know if it was in a doctor's office or at a hospital. After hearing that, I always wear long sleeves when I go to the doctor, since I know they will be checking my vitals.

Robin, the thought of Mr. Gus watching Lonesome Dove is going to bring me smiles all day! By the way, the guy who wrote that book lives in a town near me. I don't know him personally but I've seen him in the local Dairy Queen.

And that reminds me, just read of a new western series, got rave reviews, claiming it was as great as Lonesome Dove. It is called Godless, and features a lot of pioneer women, living in a small town, widowed because of a mining accident that took their husbands. Set in New Mexico, 1880s, all the best things of a good western...Guess who is in it...Michelle Dockery, of Downton Abbey fame. However, here is the BUT...it is on Netflix, so only those of you who get streaming service from there can get to see it. That excludes me. :) !!

Regarding pasteurization, it would be interesting to know precisely what it is about the process that has a supposedly negative effect upon milk.

OC, are beef cows sometimes used for dairy purposes?

Poirot: I hope the title refers to the area they live in all alone. Will give it a try.

JS: I agree with you and there are more pay streaming services in development. It is to the point you need a streaming app for every network, cable station, and pay tv!! Argh!

AGuy: I have never heard of beef cattle being used for milking unless the calf dies, and some ranchers relieve the birth Mom by taking the milk. It will be interesting to see what OC's knowledgeable experience teaches us about this topic.

By the way.......Mandy, you might be interested to know that our fairly new brick built library is closed for 3 days, because 2, yes, count them, TWO bedbugs were found on an adult chair. So, a company was called in to take care of it all, and will return for checks to be sure there are no further problems.

Oh how terrible, thankfully I haven't seen a bed bug since in awhile, dead or alive (okay hubby has a few dead ones in a ziploc bag, not sure why but he does, so I see those). However I still have some bags of laundry to get through, mostly just extra linens and stuffed animals which haven't been needed. So I may find a few more as I go.

But I'm thinking on an upcoming day off, I may load it all into the trunk and take it to the laundromat to keep the little vampires from invading my house, should any still be alive in the bags. I'm not sure how long they can live in a sealed trash bag. They've been in there since July. But I don't want to take any chances.

I have read the pros and cons of unpasteurized milk. I bought some a few times from a dairy across the river but it was a long way around to get there so I didn't keep it up. I'm guessing in an area as populated as Phoenix there are some places locally who sell it, unless it is illegal to sell in Arizona.

I don't know about other places, but here a person needs a prescription to buy unpasteurized milk (unless laws have changed and I don't know).

States can allow or disallow raw milk but a federal law prevents it from crossing state lines. A. Guy, the theory is that pasteurizing milk causes it to lose a lot of its nutrients. I can see why that would be a loss of benefits but I don't know why it would make it hard for some people to digest. I haven't studied it enough to know.

I can only repeat why Noel said. I've never known anyone to drink milk from beef cows. But if someone was in desperate need of sustenance, I don't know of any reason why they couldn't drink it. They wouldn't produce the quantities of milk as regular milk cows but it would probably do in a pinch.

Back