11-21-2016 - Donuts & Mulled Cider

Noel

Reaction score
Good Morning. A new Monday; a new week and a new Thanksgiving Day this week. Put on your running shoes because it is a very busy week! My to-do list today alone is a whopper. I am starting my day hot mulled cider before sprinting into my day.

My lunch time is running home for an Orkin annual review inside/outside the house to keep those critters away from my home. This evening, it is the normal routine plus some laundry and packing away Autumn decorations. I usually wait until the day after Thanksgiving but with company coming I am hoping to get a head start this week. Best laid plans and all.

Wishing you a lovely Thanksgiving. I imagine some of you will be traveling to destinations far and wide to share this day with beloved family members. Stay safe in these storms. And let's all try to make it a great day!

Good morning......hard to believe, but I think the sun may be shining a bit today, despite the brrrrr temps. One keeps forgetting how everything will be closed up, banks, post office, govt bldgs. this week,, or closing early or something. My usual Thursday doc. appt. was changed to Wed., and just realized last night that I will have to once again get someone to fill in for me.

More snow in our forecast, but wow, that pic from Robin's brother (yesterday's Donuts) shows how much snow over in NY. Amazing I have not heard anything on national news so far about that. LOL It does seem that NY will drop all programming to cover 5 snowflakes falling, but since so much football, guess that was more impt.

Have too much stuff to do in the next 3 days. Ugh.

Good morning ladies and others to join. Not too bad in Calgary considering the time of year and also feeling like we haven't had a winter in two years. Last winter was so warm and only had 60 cm of snow from November to February so we will need some this winter. Today is to reach a high of 7*C (44.6*F).

Many of you I see will be doing what Noel and Poirot will be and that's getting ready for your Thanksgiving. Hope everyone's week of prepping goes well.

We had a nice weekend. On Friday night, we met up with a couple of friends and went over to our mutual friends place and gave her a bit of an early birthday party. Her husband recently decided that he didn't want to be in the marriage and left. It was a shock to everybody but for our friend and looking back over the last two years behaviours started to make sense. At any rate, we brought over smoked meats and cheeses, coconut shrimp and spent a couple of hours bottling wine that her and husband have been meaning to do. In total, we bottled 56 bottles of wine. Half are a Pinot Noir and the other half are a cabernet sauvignon. It was a very fun night.

Saturday night, a friend came over and spent the night playing some games and ended up staying.

Sunday was relaxed. I decided at the last minute to go see the Harry Potter prequel so I got to the theatre, watched 15 minutes, got up to get some popcorn came back to my seat and next thing I knew an hour and 10 minutes or so had passed. Yup, I paid $15.75 to go and have a nap at the theatre. LOL! I'm now calling the theatre in our area the Calgary Sleep Centre, because this is the third time I've gone to a movie and 20 minutes or so into, I fall asleep. LOL!

This Friday, we are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and found a really great smokehouse bbq restaurant so we are going to meet some friends there and celebrate 10 years of marriage and a birthday. I know I'll be leaving with another order of ribs to take home. What I'm also excited for that is coming next week, is myself, a buddy from Saskatoon and another buddy from Quebec are all meeting in Ottawa for a a bit of a reunion. The other two haven't seen each other in 19 years so I think it'll be a pretty fun time. Look Ottawa!!! LOL!

Hope you all have a great week, stay warm and safe.

Good morning. I am feeling pretty helpless. I found out my two sons and their families are coming Thursday to spend the night. (One will bring pop-up camper, as we have room for only one family in the house for overnight). My daughter and her family will be coming on Friday. In spite of my efforts to stay off my foot for the past three days, it is nowhere near as good as I expected it to be by now, one week after the fall.

Although the swelling has gradually decreased--not gone but much better--the pain has gotten worse over the weekend. Maybe because I quit taking the Tylenol and Ibuprofen, but still, I thought it would be better by now. The foot has hurt all through the night for three nights while in bed, and this morning I had to use the walker, for the first time in five days, to get myself through fixing a simple breakfast. Husband keeps telling me to stay off the foot. Says he doesn't need anything to eat---huh? Ever? Nice of him to say it though, I guess.

My kids have said they will bring all the food but I'm thinking I may have to get back on the pain relievers and go for some basic stuff--toilet paper and the likes. They will have to change sheets and everything. As it is right now, I can't stand up for more than five minutes at a time. Any of you strong women out there have any ideas on how I can whip myself into shape and not be such a wimp?

OC.........MY advice is to get yourself BACK to the ER, and another X-ray. You very easily could have injured it further, OR, have a very tiny fracture that was missed when going over the x-ray the first time. And, if I was you, just tell the family to bring whatever it is you think extra you will need. THEY can get around, you cannot, so girl, LET THEM HELP!!

Perhaps your foot needs to be wrapped (elastic bandage), but definitely you should get in touch with your doctor. Better safe than ........well you know.

OC, you need to have your niece or someone come take care of you.
Do not do anything on your own. Have you told your family you hurt
yourself and you can't do anything to get the house ready?

Noel, enjoy your day. Don't do too much. Holidays are for fun, not to
stress. Too many people forget that and the holidays are ruined.

Muzzaman, happy anniversary early.

Poirot, be sure and get plenty of rest when you're getting house ready
for the big day.

Last edited:
Good morning all,

Partly cloudy and very windy today--cold too. Luckily for me, I'm doing another 8-hour shift at work, so I won't be out in the weather. I do have that essay to still finish, though. Joy.

Muzza, Happy (early) Anniversary! That restaurant sounds good!

OC, I agree with everyone else: let your family help you! Go see the doctor again, too. Don't overdo it!

Noel and Poirot, do find some time to relax and get enough sleep when you're not decorating.

Have a nice day, everyone.

Morning Everyone,

OC - I agree with everyone else, you need to get that foot rechecked, and I think your family should be taking care of you this holiday, so you can get better.

Muzz - that's one expensive nap, although I fell asleep in the theater once, on a date with my now husband. He picked the movie. It was some awful Japanese karate movie with bad language dubbing. He really liked it, obviously I didn't. Happy Anniversary early!

Poirot - best of luck with adjusting your schedule.

Noel - good luck with switching holiday decorations.

DaysD - try not to work too hard.

As for me, I work today and tomorrow morning, and then I'm off to get my little house ready to have 12 guests, as well as start baking pies and getting stuff ready for Thursday. I feel tired just thinking about it. Gena and I spent about 4 hours cleaning her room on Saturday. We took 1 grocery bag of toys to Good Will. We disposed of 3 grocery bags old papers, broken toys, and such. I discovered about 8 dirty socks that I'd been trying to figure out where the match was, as the other sock is on top of her dresser.

We also took out her little table, which we will donate to the playroom at church and put in a new chair that a friend gave me for Gena. It flips out into a bed for when she has friends sleep over. Hopefully her room will stay clean for awhile. I just cannot fathom how she sneaks in so much junk, ugh.

The rest of the week will be a marathon. Work and Girl Scout leader meeting tonight, work, cleaning, and parade tomorrow. Baking, prep cooking and church/pie fest Wednesday. Thursday is Thanksgiving of course, and Friday is Christmas shopping. I think I need a nap just reading all that. :rotfl:

Have a great Monday everyone!

manda, i'm glad Gena wants to help other kids. I always had my son get rid of
toys before the holidays. He would get too much. I hope some of your guests
will be helping you with dinner :)

DaysD, I hope you have better customers today.

OC - please head back to a doctor's today or tomorrow. I have a story to tell. Years ago, my son was playing football in the street with the neighborhood kids and brothers. He hurt his finger. We went to the walk-in clinic. Kaiser had them for pediatric issues. The finger was x-rayed, nothing was found

They said to use ice, keep it elevated, no wrap, nothing. Said child was on the volleyball team, so next day took him to practice and told the coach, who wrapped up the finger to another finger and he played on. The finger was bruised, swollen and really hurt. A week later I received a cal that yes, in fact, he HAD broken his finger and he needed to be seen right away.

But he was out of town playing volleyball. Okay, yeah, I know. Not the best thing to do with a broken finger, but he was a starter and it was important to him.

I have all of Noel's rain. We received lots of rain. Well, lots of rain for us. Nice rain. So it's damp and wonderful out. But we are headed back to warmer weather for the holidays.

With all the wacky weather, watched the football game last night from DC. I just hope the Macy's Day Parade doesn't cancel the bigger balloons because of it.

Be safe.

kat, my sister in law is making the dressing/stuffing, some appetizers, and a cheesecake. My daughter in law is bringing pumpkin puff cookies, and my niece is bringing the cool whip. I've got everything else, but I have a little helper as Gena doesn't have school on Wednesday and she's very excited to help get Thanksgiving dinner ready. I think I'll let her peel all the potatoes and wash the other veggies. :)

Hello (as it is World Hello Day, lol). I made a trip to the store this morning. I still don't know what to make/take for Thanksgiving dinner at my mother's house. My sister called me last week to "coordinate" and said she would get back to me, but I haven't heard anything since. I told Mama we would probably know Wednesday night or Thursday morning, lol.

I got to the theatre, watched 15 minutes, got up to get some popcorn

I hope you got to eat some popcorn, lol. Our little theater interrupts the show about 15 minutes in with a very loud announcement about the concession stand closing soon. Hopefully there isn't much I'll miss during that obnoxious time, lol.

OC, ditto on what others have said. If you tore some muscles/ligaments before, you ankle was already weakened and could have been injured further. Take care and don't try to do it all!

Oh it is a crazy busy day. We just had rain! For 5 minutes urges you could hear it pouring and look out the window to verify it was the real wet stuff. Rejoice!

Poirot: got your busy shoes on? Hope your weather stays blizzard free.

Muzza: congrats! On your upcoming wedding anniversary and celebration plans.

OC: please listen to Poirot and everyone and go back to ER or your doctor now. Call your family and update them on your foot. They can bring whatever you need. Take care of you!

Kat: Enjoy your day as you plan for your Thanksgiving. Are you traveling or is your son coming?

Oh gotta go, hopefully I can post more later. Blessings all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kat: Enjoy your day as you plan for your Thanksgiving. Are you traveling or is your songwriting?

songwriting???? are you using a phone that auto corrects? Hopefully, that's easy to turn off :)

Hello, kt. I hope someone has already bought the turkey if you're having one. It takes awhile to thaw.

manda, I'm glad your guests and Gena will be helping you with dinner.

I'd like to hear more about what songs Katmouse will be writing!! :)

@katmouse - I did finish my popcorn. I remember waking up a few times for 2 seconds trying to figure out how much I'd missed but my eyes just closed each time. I arrived at 3:30 start time and left at 5:30 before the movie had finished. I didn't want to spoil the ending for me in case I watch it at home sometime. LOL!

Noel - Running home at lunch for the Orkin man is very important! Try to take it easy and step by step!

Poirot - Hoping you don't get any more snow this week! Is your family coming for Thanksgiving?

Muzzaman - TV and Movies put me to sleep faster than anything. My husband quit asking me to a movie years ago. I always get to see the beginning of something but always the ending is done On Demand.

OC - I am with everyone else, you need to go to the doctor. I know that isn't an easy task but I really think you need to get it checked again.

Daysd - Hope your day at work is better and you get that paper written!

Manda - sounds like you will be busy the next couple of days. Enjoy when you can.

KT - don't you just love sisters?? Hopefully she doesn't wait until the stores are closed

My husband and I went to Walgreens yesterday evening around 7ish to get our flu shot. What a flippin joke. We have used the same Walgreens for 15 years. The girl puts our name, birth date, and insurance info in and says that will be $16.00 dollars. Rick says no our insurance pays for it in full.

So we ask to talk to the pharmacy manager, which we know him, and he says I don't know why the system does that but yes you need to pay a $16.00 administration fee. We leave. This morning I call our insurance and she says absolutely not and says hold on I will call and comes back and says no, they know better and go again tonight and try. SO, do we go to another Walgreens, which our other employees have gone to and had no problems, or try ours again???

Have a good day

I'll stick to my dumb phone if you can't turn off the auto correcting
on the smart ones :)

Noel, my son isn't coming to visit. I asked and he wants to stay home and
rest from his job.

Shanrick, good luck with getting your flu shot.

Before we were married, my then future husband took me to see the Fantastiks off Broadway. We were just getting to know each other then and he fell asleep! That should have been a clue that he would always fall asleep in his easy chair in the evenings.

Robin, I don't know how your son played ball (especially volleyball), with the broken finger. Athletes seem to do that kind of thing at times, which is only one of many reasons why I could never be an athlete.

I appreciate all of the input. I was needing the reassurance this morning. I called my doctor's office and couldn't get in until Wednesday. I went ahead and took the appointment, then agonized for a while over whether or not go on to the ER. I decided to stick with the Wed. appt. and get back on the Tylenol and Ibuprofen in the meantime. A trip to town and dealing with the ER today seemed overwhelming.

Kat, my niece has some drama going on at her place right now. She really can't leave for very long to come here. But she has brought two meals and is bringing another tomorrow, which helps a lot. My kids are too far away to help. But I have resigned myself to doing practically nothing in preparation for their visit. I will stay out of the mix and let them handle things while they are here. One son has offered to pick up anything I might need from the store, above and beyond what they will bring to eat while they are here, so I should be making a list.

I'm enjoying hearing about everyone's plans and doings. Thanks for being here. I hope the rest of the week goes well for all of you, regardless of what you are doing.

Back