11-25-2020 - Donuts and Thanksgiving Prep Breakfast

Noel

Reaction score
Good Morning, early birds and late birds! [wink]

Today is Thanksgiving meal prep day for me. I'll be chopping veggies, boiling/chopping/mashing potatoes, salads, even pie prep-work. So I don't expect to be back online today. I know we are all very busy even if visiting relatives because we don't come empty handed and our family favorite dishes are requested for the meal.

Despite this crazy year, there is much to be grateful for in my life. And my family's life. It was a comfort & joy to return to Donuts and find my friends all here sharing life together daily. Wishing each of you a blessed Thanksgiving Day!:love::love:

Good morning Noel and everyone yet to check in. Cold and rainy here.

Finished decorating my Christmas tree last night. Still have to put away the plastic tubs that are now filled with items that get put away to make room for everything Christmas and winter.

Will make my cranberry upside down cake today. The cheese plate will be done tomorrow morning just before leaving for my cousin's.

We're having a simple dinner of turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, and corn. My cousin is roasting the turkey today.

Noel, I bet your house will smell heavenly with your meal prep. Don't overdo it. Seeing you back posting after your long recovery makes my heart happy.

Good morning everyone!

Noel, good luck with your Thanksgiving prep.

rs, cranberry upside-down cake sounds yummy.

kat, I love the twitter account for the Rockefeller Christmas Tree. Glad I shared the account so now everyone can enjoy it.

Today for me is prepping to decorate for Christmas tomorrow. It's our Thanksgiving tradition since we don't have Thanksgiving dinner at our house. Although next year I'm considering it so my husband's grandma will have a harder time guilt tripping my mother-in-law. That mess won't work on me and my husband.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday!

Another cloudy day here. Temps in the 40s all day with wind. It wasn't fun taking
a walk this morning. There was heavy rain last night. The pools are back in the
yard and standing water in the ditch.

I made the stuffing for tomorrow's dinner since I'm having a turkey breast.
Last year I made stuffing in the oven, but it was too dry. This time I added
chicken broth to it. I didn't realize when I planned having a turkey dinner
Goldie wouldn't be here. I told her we would have a nice dinner and
watch the dog show.

I forgot to mention that on Monday I got a sympathy card from the vet where
I took Goldie last week. Inside was another envelope with her name on it.
Inside was two pieces of paper. One with her paw print and the other her nose
print. It made me cry.

Noel, I hope you're getting help with preparations from your family.

rs, I never heard of cranberry cake before.

red, enjoy your holiday.

Wishing everyone a good rest of the day.

Morning Everyone,

Nothing for me to prep for Thanksgiving. My mom doesn't even want me to bring a pie this year. I guess I'll use all the apples I have to make apple crisp for Gena and I. She's trying to be good about watching her carbs, so I'll respect her wishes. I do miss all the yummy smells of cooking for Thanksgiving, but my apartment is way too small for me to host. I'm planning to put up our Christmas tree on Friday, since I won't be shopping this year, or if I do it, won't be much.

Noel - I bet your house smells wonderful. Enjoy the time with your family

Kat - how thoughtful of the vet. I got teary eyed reading your post.

RS - that cake sounds wonderful. I'd love to have the recipe if you're willing to share.

Red - taking over Thanksgiving from my mother-in-law was a joy for me, as she struggled with it every year and wasn't much of a planner. She loved being able to come over, sit back relax and enjoy the meal without the prep or clean up. So I say dive in and take it over, you're family will be grateful.

Happy Thanksgiving in case I don't make it back!

Crazy morning here..... someone put a tree on a table in the LIVING ROOM!!!!! This can not be.... and we won't even talk about the penguins in sweaters on the hearth!!! Dangerous times.... Dangerous times I tell you.

I fear it is going to be a long December.

We are dog sitting starting tonight so all toys must be put away as the dog we are watching likes to take toys outside. We are hoping the loss of toys won't bother Vinnie as he will have a playmate.

I will get dinner together tonight so tomorrow all I will have to do is pop it in the oven. Since I've been called back to work, I only have this week to get cookies and things baked and shipped.

More stuff to get done before our guest arrives..... I'll be back later.....

stay safe.... and remember to breathe.....

kat, that was very thoughtful of your vet.

manda, if my mother-in-law's mother didn't act more immature than my 5-year-old niece I wouldn't think about doing it. The woman is literally mad that my mother-in-law won't cook Thanksgiving dinner for ungrateful family members. If my husband and I hosted Thanksgiving we would also invite my parents. Did I mention that my brother and sister-in-law are hosting Thanksgiving too and for some reason my mom has to cook the turkey. Yeah, my side of the family is no better.

robin, I hope Vinnie has fun with his playmate.

Amanda and kat...think of the cake as being like pineapple upside down cake, but with fresh cranberries instead of pineapple.

I start the same way with combining melted butter and brown sugar. Then place the mixture in the bottom of my big glass pie dish. Place the washed, dried, picked through cranberries on top of it. If I have enough of them, I have the cranberries line the side so it looks prettier when finished.

(You can also do this in a 9" x 13" cake pan. )

I use a Jiffy brand yellow cake mix because it fits perfectly in my big pie dish. If using a cake pan, use a regular size box of white or yellow cake mix.

Make the cake mix according to the box directions. Slowly pour the batter over the cranberries, and smooth it to the edges.

Then bake according to the cake box directions. Let sit for a few minutes after taking out of the oven then invert on a platter.

Can be eaten warm or at room temperature.
No need to refrigerate leftovers. Just make sure to cover it so the cake doesn't dry out.

Thanks RS, I've never made pineapple upside down cake either, but I'm sure I can find a recipe for that and switch it up to cranberries.

Red - My family never came to our Thanksgiving. For that many people, I'd need to rent a hall, as it was we averaged 18-20 people with about 1/2 of my ex's family. I'd invite everyone on Facebook and always created a poll, not for them to vote for what they wanted, but to vote for what they'd bring, green bean casserole, dinner rolls, Jell-o, soda, etc . . . It made it so much easier.

I took care of turkey, potatoes and pie, my ex's sister always made dressing as they all wanted their mom's recipe, but wouldn't share it with me. It also took the blame off of me if anything was missing, as everyone knew who signed up for what. If the person who picked it didn't bring it we went without. It happened once, and everyone (except me as I didn't care) gave that one person such a hard time it never happened again.

It was crazy and I was always exhausted by the end, but it was worth it. I don't who takes care of Thanksgiving for them now, and honestly I don't care. Since my ex and I split most of them treat my daughter and me dreadfully, so they can rot right along with him.

manda, I'd only invite my parents, my in-laws, my brother, sister-in-law, niece, brother-in-law, my husband's grandmas, and probably my one aunt who is a widow that lives alone (her son lives in Florida) and that would be it because my house is small. So it would only be 13 of us total. Hopefully, your ex gets to rot in jail soon.

rs, I'm going to have to try that cake.

Hello, once again I'm late getting here. I had to go to town for prescriptions this morning. It's a pretty day here. Sunny and not much wind but still a little too cool to be very comfortable for me outside.

Kat, we only got wind and cooler temperatures here last night. There was a tornado between Fort Worth and Dallas, 2-3 hours from here, but I don't think it was a bad one. I didn't hear of damages.

Sounds like many of you are busy with cooking and holiday things. This time last year I was at my son's house in the Dallas area, with all of my family there. I wasn't brave enough to go this year, with all the Covid going around. I don't know what my family is doing but I don't think they'll be together either. The traveling one is in Alabama right now and the other two will probably be with their in-laws. But when I do get to be with them, I am more than happy to let them do the planning and preparing.

I had someone call me today, wanting to know if he could do helicopter hog hunting over my property. He also wondered if my niece would allow it. His family owns property next to hers but they live way off in east Texas and use their property out here for get togethers and hunting, etc. Without hesitation I told him no but I was nice about it and didn't tell him my niece will call the game warden if they mess around over her property and I probably would do the same. He was polite too but he had to ask why I didn't want to allow it. I told him I just don't like it! I also said I knew he'd have an answer for any reason I'd give him but I gave him a few, while also covering the responses I knew he would offer. He didn't try to dispute anything I said.

Ah, there is a deer grazing at the edge of my back yard. I usually see them in the front. They seem to have a regular path out front. I always silently tell them to stay around my yard because the hunters can't hunt here.

OC, is hunting from a helicopter even legal? Also, it sounds very dangerous.

Although, if he wants to come to Virginia and hunt some of these deer running around every where because the hunters here have gotten to where they only shoot if they see the biggest buck ever I'd appreciate it.

Since my ex and I split most of them treat my daughter and me dreadfully, so they can rot right along with him.
same here.... and in my case I find it odd.... I am the one who converted to Catholism and DIDN'T cheat with a married woman.... but hey the break up was all my fault and I am scum of the earth...... yea.... whatever......

Red - we had 19 people with just my ex and I, our daughter, his 3 sons, 1 son's fiancee, and their 3 kids, my mother and father in law, 2 sisters in law and one's husband, a niece and her two kids, and a nephew. He has 2 more brothers, their wives and 6 kids (and some of those kids have kids), and 2 step sisters with another husband and 2 more kids. My daughter at 10 is the youngest grandchild on his side of the family with a few of her cousins having kids older than she is. On my side, she's the only grandchild so far, as I'm the oldest, of 5 kids.

OC - Helicopter hunting does not sound safe in the slightest, I'm glad you said no.

Robin - eh, I don't care, I don't like most of his relatives anyway, so it's no real loss for me. I just feel bad for Gena, but she's learning that it's better to have people around who truly love and respect you than to have a bunch of fake people around. Sad lesson to have to learn at 10, but very valuable.

Just checking in. It's been a crazy few days. My sister-in-law had a stroke in the hospital, my brother (not husband of other) continues on hospice in a nursing home, my nephew is in the hospital with complications following hip replacement (age 51), and a niece having difficulty with her alcoholic husband. I've been on the phone with family members for all of these since I'm the primary resources. These family members live all over the country. None live close to me.

RS - I totally agree. STAY AWAY FROM ADVANTAGE PLANS! The families I've worked with over the years as a social worker have had nothing but problems with it. You have to get pre-authorization for almost everything and some hospitals won't accept Advantage Plans because they have problems getting reimbursed.

JS - So sorry about the funeral. At our church it's wear a mask or don't come in. Every other pew is roped off. No receptions allowed at this time.

Kat - those coming to our Thanksgiving are all family that come by almost every day anyway. One has had it (false negative), others have been exposed but ALL exposed quarantine and stay away from us for a long time. We are social distancing even during the meal. Fortunately that's possible in our house.

Poirot - prayers continuing for you and your husband. We have Dish because everyone around here who has DirecTv have problems all the time! Many have changed to Dish.

Mandy -- Bless your heart. I hope things get straightened out soon. It sounds like he should be in jail forever and not have ANY contact with family.

Think maybe I told this before, but when I lived in Illinois, my mom had passed, mostly T-days were at my Mother-in-law's, then she passed so it was just me, my immediate family, Usually I got a 12-14 lb. bird, but this one year, I have no idea why, I got a 20 lb. one. It's in the oven, roasting away, and there was something I did not have, just a utensil of some kind (hey, years ago), & I knew next door good neighbor friends were going to her sister's, so went over to borrow. She was glad to lend, but said sister had flu, so..they were not going there.

I immediately said, then come over to our house. She protested, but heck, just a few more potatoes to peel later. Only asked if she had another can of cranberry sauce. LOL. I had plenty. Yep, they came....my table was too small for additional 5 people to our 6, but.........downstairs in family room, we had a pool table that had a tennis top. Covered that with tablecloths, plates, napkins, the guys all took all the chairs down, (had enough of those) we carried all the food, turkey got carved. Everyone more than filled up. Wonderful time. Truly.

Tomorrow, just me & my younger son. Am glad he is here to be together. (tho what I am going to do with a 12 lb. turkey....lolol. ) Actually, I know I will freeze some, and therein is Christmas dinner. Ha.

nanahl, how did your granddaughter do on her test? I didn't realize your family
lived close by to see you every day. Hopefully, I can see my son and grandson
next year.

Poirot, I'm glad your son will be with you tomorrow. I have a six pound turkey
breast. I'll freeze some meals. If I have enough turkey, I'll either make Chinese
or Italian dinners and freeze for later.

Back