12-13-2016 - Donuts & Eggnog

Noel

Reaction score
Happy Tuesday morning everyone!

For some reason I woke up dreaming about eggnog. So I had a full glass with my bagel this morning. It felt very Christmasy to me.

Hope all of you are safe and warm in the path of winter storms. Snow melts quickly so enjoy your White Christmas while it lasts!

Tonight it is time to bake 13 dozen Christmas cookies for services at church Wednesday. Make it a great day!

Good morning everyone. Our temps will start moving into the deep freeze as the even colder air crosses Lake Erie on the way from Poirot, through Canada, and down to here. The roads will get much worse since 3 more inches of the white stuff is supposed to come down this afternoon. I hope to be back from my 3 schools before it gets too bad out.

Noel - I'm glad you enjoyed your eggnog. I never acquired a taste for it since it isn't something I grew up with.

Brrrrrr, and yes, it's coming, squirrelly. Tis 5 below zero, with a wind chill of 29 below. We had more snow beginning yesterday around 5 p.m. The sun disappeared around 3 p.m. so figured it was going to snow, as it got darker so fast.

I was supposed to go to town, but, think I will put it off til this afternoon. The forecast for next couple of days is even worse.

Take care everyone, this cold front is quite extensive, tho will be affecting everyone differently.

Good morning everyone!

It's 39 and cloudy here right now. Supposed to get to 49.

Enjoy cookie baking tonight, Noel!

Stay safe in that impending storm rs!

Brrr at those temperatures Poirot. Stay warm.

Off to work in a few minutes. Hopefully today's truck isn't as huge as last week's.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Good morning. I have plans to clean up my junk room today, since it's supposed to be rainy. I'll have to let Remmy watch so she'll understand why things move/disappear, lol. I need to get moving soon, before I lose my motivation, lol.

Another dense fog this morning. I couldn't even see the moon or sun.

Noel, I take it your diabetes is under better control.

Take care.

Morning, all. I've also been having me some rum and eggnogs over the past week. We are not as cold this week as we were last week. We are out of the deep freeze and more in line with normal temperatures. Sounds like the cold is moving east. Sorry about that for those in the east.

Weekend was good. We went to my parent's place and jarred/canned 57 jars of antipasta split with my mom. Here's recipe if anyone is interested. My mother was given the recipe from an Italian lady over 30 years ago.This week my in laws are coming from B.C. for a visit and to do some Christmas shopping.

Hope everyone is well and gearing up for the holidays. My shopping is almost finished with just 2 more gifts to buy. I think this is the first time I've been ready this early. Have a great day.

IMG_1634.jpg

I'm back from all 3 schools. Thankfully they were all in the same small town. The main road there was ok, but the side roads to each school were refrozen slush on top of ice. YUCK! Even our 4 wheel drive Mazda had a few slips.

kt - please straighten up my storage room (my old bedroom upstairs), too. I only got it half done last summer.

Red - be careful unloading that truck in the cold. Hopefully it is a smaller delivery for you.

Poirot - You can keep your minus 5* ! I don't even want to think about the wind chill "feels like" temp with that. BRRRRR We're supposed to have 7* with minus 16* wind chill. That's bad enough.

Muzza - My Mom came over on the boat (literally) from Italy, and I've never ever heard of that being Italian. If you swap out the dill pickles, tuna, and anchovies for cucumber , it is the same as English or Irish "pickle". My Dad made that all of the time. Here the Amish call it "Chow Chow".

Morning Everyone,

Very cold here too, but not quite as bad as Poirot. Today's high temp is 10* with wind chills making it feel like -10*. Santa sent a present for Gena with her Elf on the Shelf this morning. She got a brand new pair of winter boots. Gena was very excited as her old boots were pinching her toes.

Work is crazy busy right now. Everyone wants their insurance policies to start on 1/1, so we get swamped with new policy quotes.

Poirot & RS - stay safe & warm.

Muzz - that's a lot of canning.

Red - good luck with the delivery.

KT- I hope Remmy doesn't get too worried about the cleaned up room.

Noel - you can have my share of eggnog. I just never took a liking to it.

Have a wonderful day!!

Amanda - That was a great way to give Gena her new boots. Now she'll still think that they came from the North Pole.

Our work health insurance is changing again on January 1st. We're changing from AmeriHealth's Coventry (subsidiaries of Aetna, & dropping coverage of non-profits) to UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center) Health Plan.

The 2 biggest insurance companies on this side of the state are UPMC and Highmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

Good morning. I can't think of anything beyond vehicles right now. Still a little stunned from yesterday. My niece and I were taking my truck in for repair (her in my truck, me behind in my car), when my car broke down! I was cruising along and it just quit and by the time I got pulled over, it was smoking. Thank goodness I was in the edge of town (and did NOT have the husband with me), and she was only a couple of miles ahead so I was able to call her to come back and pick me up. Had to have the car towed to the mechanic's shop.

The car has a blown head gasket, thanks to rodents chewing a hole in a hose, allowing the water or coolant or whatever, to drain out instead of circulate. So here I was, with both my vehicles at the shop. I am still reeling a little over the car, even though I've known the mice/rats could do serious damage at any time. The discouraging thing is, I don't know of anything I can to do prevent it from happening again.

The good news is, that while the truck smells so bad of rodent, as to be nearly suffocating, the problem I took it in for isn't a serious as I suspected. The rubber in the shocks is gone so there is metal clanging on metal. The mechanic said he could put in new shock absorbers in less than an hour, while I wait. So I need to go back and get that done. We managed to get the truck inspected while in town yesterday but now I need to go to the county seat town in the opposite direction to get the license renewal--before taking it back to get the shock absorbers.

Have a call in to the mechanic to find out when I can bring it in. He hasn't called back. I hope he is working on my car! I'm going to be without it for a while so I must get the truck legal and fixed, since that's what I'll have to be driving. It's an F-250 with flatbed and hay spikes. I'm not comfortable driving it in town but I'm grateful to have it and not be afoot!

All of you in the snowy/icy weather, be safe. Squirrely, I'm glad you are already back from your rounds.

Wishing all of you a good afternoon.

Morning all.

OC - why is it that cars just never work with you??? There was a time when Hunny Bunny and I had 3 cars. And all of them ended up in the shop, at the same time. So annoying, to say the least.

Picked up Mr. Gus from the resort. He is very happy to be home. He's following us everywhere to make sure we don't leave him again. Silly boy.

Now that I've gotten the hound and been to the doctor, I think I'm about done for the day. Napping and knee resting are on tap for me.

Good afternoon all,

Sunny day today after an overcast morning, but cold outside. I am off of work until Friday and the weekend, but have to do an essay today that's a final for one of my classes. My sister is sick, so she stayed home from school with me. Will be having personal training tomorrow---was still too sore this morning to do it.

OC, a few years ago we had the same problem---and stench---from those rodents in the car. Yuck! Here's to hoping that's solved soon.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Another cloudy day here. I walked Goldie early since the high was this
morning. No early walk Wed because it will be a colder day.

A good day at the school library. I should get the chapter books done before vacation starts.

manda, I told the librarian about the freezer bags to protect library books
in backpacks. She
loved the idea. Is Gena reading chapter books? I found a book series with fairies. There
are over 30 books.

OC, sorry to hear about your car needing repair too.

kt, after you help rs with her storage room, can you come by and help me?
I'll get more done if someone is here to help me :)

Noel, good luck on your cookie baking. I hope your children help you.

robin, how long was Mr Gus at the resort?

I hope everyone will have the best afternoon and evening possible.

Ooohhh, thanks for that reminder. Last night, I was watching Turner Movie Classics. Meet Me in St. Louis, and then In the Good Old Summertime (remake of Shop around the Corner). A tidbit......June Allyson was originally going to star in the movie with Van Johnson, but was pregnant, had to bow out, thus Judy Garland was tapped. Shop Around the Corner will be on later this week, I believe.

Enjoy the eggnog folks who enjoy eggnog. Having a lactose problem has pretty much taken away eggnog. And then there is the taste. :rolleyes:

Muzz - I looked at your anti pasta. It is very close to my grandmother's. We add marinated artichoke hearts and take out the anchovies. It's really good and we all look forward to it.

Mr. Gus was at the resort for 7 days and 6 nights. While there, he did sneak out and visit with Santa.

small Gus and Santa 2016.jpg

I have no idea what he told the Jolly ol' Elf.

Cookie making is on the schedule this afternoon, and finishing up the wrapping. Yeah, getting back to work tomorrow.

manda, I told the librarian about the freezer bags to protect library books in backpacks. She
loved the idea. Is Gena reading chapter books? I found a book series with fairies. There
are over 30 books.
Kat, she loves chapter books, but usually I have to read them to her as there are just too many words she struggles with. We are working our way through Max Crumbly Locker Hero right now, but we mix in a Piggie and Gerald book every night that she can read to me. I'd love the name of the fairy series though, as she'd love them. I ordered her 4 books from Usborne books for Christmas. The first one she got when our Elf on the Shelf made her return. The rest will be Snowflake Glitter's (the elf) parting gift. :)

I forgot to post this reminder that Charles Shaughnessy (Shane) will be on NCIS tonight.
Thanks for the reminder. The previews made me excited.

BRRRR - here too! Sorry, Poirot our artic freeze is coming your way! They keep warning us that the next 4-5 days are going to be worse. To look out is pretty and that's as far as it goes. If I didn't work, it might be different.

Noel - enjoy your baking! I'm doing all mine this weekend and delivering next week! I love it. I don't care for eggnog either but my daughter is crazy over it.

Red - stay warm also! Looks like we are all getting hit.

Imared - glad you're not in the deep freeze like some of us. Can't imagine unloading the trucks in this weather.

KT - Hope you and Remmy get your storage area cleaned. Poor Remmy will be beside herself.

Manda - I bet Gena was thrilled with her new boots! Exciting

OC - you poor thing, you just can't get a break. I will say though, we had that same problem with mammots crawling in our vehicles here and chewing brake lines. Northwest Seed and Pet told us to put moth balls anywhere we could under the hood and sure enough they stopped. However, I can't stand the smell of moth balls so I don't know what was worse.

Robin - glad you're home, but I bet Disney World was fabulous! Was it decorated for Christmas?

Days - good luck on your last essay. My daughter finished up her quarter yesterday even started on her thesis and his thrilled.

Stay warm.

Back