2/25/16 - Donuts and Wind

SHANNON: Hope your day is a bright one. Thanks for caring.

KT: so glad your Moms' move is done with your oversight. It is very concerning your father's CPAP was off. Please let the facility and doctor know about this experience. Hopefully they correct it! Rest up tonight.

Thanks, everyone, for all the "support" concerning my mattress problem. (Sorry, I couldn't resist that). My problems with mattresses are complicated and go back for years. I've tried Select Comfort (which now seems to be Sleep Number), memory foam, and more recently, two different kinds of inner spring with memory foam. Nearly all the beds have latex in them, and therein lies my problem. The smell gives me migraines. The smell in this latest one seemed to have dissipated to a tolerable level so I was hopeful. What I didn't anticipate was that it would throw my back into a tizzy! So I am back to sleeping on the one innerspring mattress, with no topper or foam of any kind, which I've had for years. It is not in bad shape and is okay but I just wanted something a little more comforting for my weary bones. I'm through buying though. None of the ones I've bought have been inexpensive. I've tried a variety of materials and firmness levels so I don't think there is any point in :beat:.

Noel, I am so very glad you got attention for your lung in time. I had a lung collapse many years ago and I can tell you it is both scary and painful. I wasn't even sick either. I just lay down in my bed one night and pow! I had no idea what was wrong and thought I was dying. The doctor couldn't give me any reason either. He said it just happens sometimes, like a blowout on a tire.

Speaking of tires, I went out to air up the tire today and it was so flat it had popped loose from the rim in one area. Would not hold air at all. So I pulled forward about a foot and tried again. This time the tire popped back in place and held air so I was able to get it to the station and get it fixed. Very thankful for that!

Kt, I understand your concerns about the nursing home not having your father's CPAP on when he was asleep. My mom was recently in and out of the hospital 3 times over the past month for a resistant bladder infection caused by kidney stones and she became confused during this time due to the fevers and the infection, to the point where my brothers and I were having to make the decisions about the medical procedures she needed with the doctors.

I had brought her CPAP machine for her to use because the ones in the hospital are very noisy and disruptive. I noticed that it was still in the bag I brought the next day and that one of the hospital CPAP machines was not in the room. I asked the nurse on duty about it. She said my mom refused to wear it. I checked with the doctor, and the order to use the CPAP was in the computer for the nurses to see.

He said he would make sure it was used that night, but the next day when I came in, it was still in the bag I brought it in and not hooked up, which meant they still did not put it on her that night. At least on her next visit to the hospital, the staff in that department had her using the CPAP.

Noel and Robin, I hope you both continue to feel better.

Last edited:
CPAP - Continuous Positive Airway Pressure........a breathing machine, that keeps air passages open. Used a lot for those with sleep Apnea (where they stop breathing suddenly while asleep)

My problems with mattresses are complicated and go back for years. I've tried Select Comfort (which now seems to be Sleep Number), memory foam, and more recently, two different kinds of inner spring with memory foam.
Since around 2008 when the economy went to hell, I started moving around the country essentially "following the money" to keep employed. In each case, mattresses and box springs are two things that hardly ever make the "move across multiple state line" cuts. Too big and bulky to deal with moving. When all this started, I started out buying these high-end memory this, and pillow-top that one-sided type mattresses.

In each case, because of my weight (pre-surgery), memory foam would quickly forget, and pillow-tops would soon compact and form "troughs" in the center of the bed. Nothing like spending $1500 on a bed set to have it turn unusable in 6 months. The manufacturers -- no matter who they were -- always seemed to be able to weasel out of fixing them by claiming one thing or another, so there I was, eating a $1500 investment...

In the end, and with apologies, I can't speak for the latex issue, but what I've found finally works best for me is your average, cheap, flip-able (double-sided), $300 mattress set and a Walmart 4" mattress topper, usually foam or memory foam.. I've had the current set I'm using for the last 5 years that I've been trapped in Virginia and I have to say, I've never had a more comfortable bed. While I've considered replacing the mattress topper (because I've worn out the fabric cover), it's still holding up really well for what has been, in essence, a $400 setup...

Wayne

You make a good point re the practicality of mattress flip-ability. Was thinking about checking out IKEA foam offerings; I wonder if their "consultants" are "Certified," though. :rolleyes:

In fairness to hospitals/"rehab facilities," it would be very hard to keep a CPAP mask on an unwilling patient/resident.

PS, this is a repost. When I tried to edit the last one, I got a banner saying, "Error. You do not have permission to, etc., etc." that I couldn't get past. Probably a bug in Apple's latest update. :( :( :(

Wayne, your approach with mattresses is well worth considering. I think I will try to get some kind of topper to soften up my old innerspring mattress and just stick with it for now. I didn't realize Wal-Mart would have a 4" foam topper with a fabric cover. If the smell is a problem for me, I might be able to put a zippered cover on it, and then put a soft fitted mattress pad over that. I just ordered a really nice one for the hospital bed I was given for my husband. I was thrilled to find one (mattress pad) made in the USA from a company started by a military veteran. I was skeptical that the pad is made of bamboo, but was pleasantly surprised that it is very plush and soft/smooth--and it had no smell, which is always a concern for me, with any product.

Back