3/30/2022 Donuts and Nasty Weather

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. We're currently having freezing rain that has already melted all of the snow that came overnight. Everything is covered in ice. YUCK! I have an office day while my assistant is going to a tiny school a bit north of here.

OC, the news here is reporting that Texas is getting hit with everything today...fires, heavy rains, floods, high winds, and tornados. I hope you get a nice gentle rain to fill up the tanks instead of the nasty stuff.

How is jury duty pay reported to IRS?

The general tax rule requires you to report all jury duty pay on the “other income” line of your Form 1040. Note that the “other income” line asks for the type of income as well as the amount.

Poirot, it isn't that simple. With the federal 1040, you have to go to the schedule form for gambling and lottery winnings. (Who knew that being on a jury was considered gambling?!?!) Under that heading, there are over 30 items. "Jury Duty" is near the bottom. Once you complete that form the amount is automatically added to a sub-section of Line 1A then added to the gross income.

State and local income tax don't work that way, and insist on having a 1099-MISC entered. The courts in Pennsylvania don't give you one unless your jury pay is over $600. There's no way for me to just enter that paltry amount I received without one.

The winter storm has begun, It rained hard last night (I noticed around 10 p.m. It stopped, but evidently rained again early this a.m. as fresh puddles I see. However, the grass looks icy all over, so...must have been sleet!. Have not heard weather yet on radio......but they will probably mention the snow to come. Ugh.
Did a tiny bit of work on my taxes, more today is on my agenda.
Honestly hope you all have sunshine & warm......& if you need rain, that, too.

Good morning. Looks like some threads will be merged before long. I'm going ahead with this one because I think it was posted a few minutes earlier than the other one.

Poirot, I'm wishing you the best on getting those taxes done. They just hang over our heads until they're out of the way. Good thing you don't have jury duty and Squirrel's crazy instructions. :)

Squirrel, you and Poirot and others up north can always make me rethink my complaining about the weather here. Ice is terrible! I'm glad you don't have to travel today.

We were scheduled to take my truck in to get the air conditioner fixed today. They (Ford dealership) had it last fall and supposedly fixed it, for a whole bunch of money, so I'm hoping I won't have to pay for it this time. We postponed the appointment though. The wind is awful again (still) today and we didn't get enough rain to wet things down last night. The front came through but didn't get into the severe stuff until it got east of here. For that I'm thankful. We sure needed more rain though, especially with the wind continuing to blow. It's supposed to let up tonight.

And now it has snowed, which is wonderful atop the icy sleet, freezing rain, etc. etc. Doubt I will even try for the mail later on. Sheesh. ....
You know, I truly hate how Amazon thinks because you bought an item, or even looked at it, they send tons of e-mails, showing you the exact same thing, saying you "might be interested". I bought a little weather station, which tells temp, forecast, humidity outside and inside, day, date, time, etc. Cannot tell you how many e-mails I have gotten with same & some different ones, ever since. Bah, humbug. LOL

Morning all.... still on the steep learning curve for the new smart televison.... it's the changing between the aps and the television that is causing me grief..... I was supposed to have a "cox" button but I somehow deleted it.... brilliant I do say.... I'd add it back in but the television didn't come with a manual.... I need to download it.....

When I worked for the school district in CA and for the software house we had to sign our jury duty checks over to the district/company.... we didn't get to keep it. In Phoenix they bundled the mileage or public transportation fees into one check so the company got that money too.... they were supposed to pay that portion back to you in a expense check but after serving on Jury duty twice in Phoenix, once on a jury once just spending the days sitting in the jury room I never saw my mileage check.....

Our rain is gone we will be in the low 80's today and then we move into what is considered summer temps for 98% of the world.... the weather guessers said it looks like winter has finished with us.....

Happy Wednesday.....

All of you up north.....I do not envy your weather at all!!!!! Where I live in Texas, we are in a draught because every time it rains, it goes around us on ALL FOUR SIDES! It's like there is an umbrella over us. It's 73* outside at this time and I am getting ready to take my now 53 year old middle son out for lunch. Can't believe my OLDEST is 55! That makes me ??!? I can't be that old.

Didn't sleep much last now and it's beginning to catch up with me.

Those of you with your taxes. My husband and I had an Income Tax and Bookkeeping service for about 35 years ON THE SIDE of working full time. It has amazed me how much the forms have changed over the years.....especially the last 2-3. So glad I have someone do it for me. The jury duty used to be o the "Other income" on front of 1040 and not itemized like it is now. The government wants every penny they can get.

Robin: Is it LEGAL for a state to keep your jury money? I didn't think so. In Texas, you get the check and you are responsible for reporting it. BUT, and that's a BIG but.......if you are not docked any money from your regular pay for the time you were off, the school may be able to keep it. But it SHOULD be in the contract. Of course, that may have changed in the last few years. :)

Hopefully, everyone will have a great day!

Nasty weather is right.

There was a tornado in my area early this morning. Where I live is fine. If you look up Springdale, Arkansas
you can see the damage. The airport is about 20 or 30 minutes from me.

Just a short message now since I need to eat and get ready to watch the show today for the summary.

Well, the way it was.... you can keep the $15 a day jury duty funds OR turn it over to your employer for your regular day of pay. You couldn't use vacation or sick leave to cover Jury duty. In my case it was always more profitable to give up the $15 for my regular pay....

Kat, I looked at some videos of Springdale. What is it with tornadoes and schools? The town that was hit less than an hour from me, last week, Jacksboro, also had their high school and elementary school seriously damaged. These were fairly new buildings and I heard later that they built underground rooms in them where they could go with the students in tornadoes. That might not sound strange to those of you who live where basements are common but nobody here has basements so it's almost like a novel idea--a good one learned the hard way for Texas and Oklahoma towns. Kat, I'm glad you didn't get a tornado at your place.

Nana, I know exactly what you mean about the rain going by on all sides. Over and over again we watch the rain go past us on either side. My mother used to tell of people from her parents' generation saying the same thing. There must be something about the land formations or some other natural thing. Also, I think the same way as you about my kids getting older. My oldest son is also 55. When he was here Saturday I noticed he's getting a good bit of gray in his hair. I saw the same thing in my youngest, 45, along with reading glasses, when he was here a few months ago. It's strange to see these changes in our children but they still seem young to me.

Robin, lately I've thought about getting a new tv but I haven't done so because of the things you mentioned. I don't want to try to cope with learning all the new things that would surely be unavoidable. I don't know why I would find it shocking that you couldn't keep your pay from jury duty in California but it still would ruffle me to be subjected to that. Even if it is a measly amount. I wonder if they do the same thing with election clerks. It pays more than jury duty.

Poirot, I get irritated too, from getting so many e-mails from places--Amazon and others--where I've either bought something or just looked at something. I don't know if it's possible with Amazon but some of those have places where you can scroll down and request that they quit sending e-mails. I keep thinking I'm going to do that with a few places.

I found out I now have the option of getting Starlink, when/if I lose my present internet, which is almost certain to happen. It sounds like it would be great but it's quite expensive. Otherwise, I'd do it right now but won't until I'm faced with being without internet altogether.

I didn't realize until I woke up this morning I was under a tornado watch since I don't have cell phone.
The alert came in at 4 AM. I let my cat out at 3. I woke up just after 5 because of rain and thunder. I
was shocked to see a tornado came by so early this morning.

Today was church library day. When I was in the shower, the other woman called me. I called her back
and her phone not on. I left her a message I was still going. I didn't realize until she got there that the
tornado hit close to the mall in the big town. The mall is on the north side of town and the tornado
hit there and made a diagonal to the other town airport. There's a small shopping center by the mall
that got a lot of damage. She told me she lived two blocks away from where it hit. She was still upset
about it. She didn't stay long. I told her next time call the church if she wasn't coming so they can let
me know.

On my way to the church, the traffic had stopped. I thought maybe the road was flooded because of all
the rain. Nope, it was a dog running around on the street. Two small boys were with the dog and it wasn't
on a lease. Traffic was stopped both ways for awhile. I noticed when I got past the traffic stopped again.
I went home a different way. I noticed a black spot running in the street close to a school. It was tiny dog.
It had a collar with tags. I slowed down and honked my horn, but it wouldn't get off the road. Both sides of
road slowed or stopped. One woman tried to get dog in her car. Nope it just kept running around. I finally
kept going. I noticed a truck wasn't having it and passed on the right side of the road in the ditch. I looked
back again and someone got of their car trying to get it. What a day.

rs, I'm glad you could stay in the office today.

OC, the tornado hit a school and all schools there closed today because of power outages. They probably wanted
to be sure all the buildings are fine. One school lost their gym. It was a big metal building. I wish I could send you
the rain I got since this morning. The ditch became a river again.

Poirot, I hope you won't to do errands for awhile.

robin, I hope you get your TV figured out.

Nanahl, I hope you had a nice lunch with your son.

Wishing everyone a good evening.

10:55 PM, and state taxes are finally done!!

Someone who I had met through friend Jim at his Vietnam Veterans Post saw my frustrated post on Facebook, and sent a message. She just happens to be a tax preparer! It turns out that I was right about the state e-filing being set up incorrectly by requiring a 1099-MISC for jury duty pay when Pennsylvania doesn't even provide them. She then sent all of the forms I needed, and it took me exactly 9 minutes to fill them out, and print them. I just wrote my whopping big $4.00 payment check and have everything ready to go to the post office tomorrow.

Weather in the Florida Panhandle....heavy wind and rain started around 6am. Tornado warnings. We could hear the trees in the wooded area behind us cracking and falling. Fortunately, they just fell, but didn't hit anything but other trees and then the ground. Wind and rain are tapering off now and should be done within the next few hours. Since I have the option of working from home, that's what I did today.

Back