3-7-2016 - Donuts and Pecan Pie

K

ktspirit

Good morning. I was a bad girl (or just lazy) and had pie for breakfast. I don't like pecans much, they taste musty to me, but if they are in a sweet, gooey pie, I like them ok. Don't tell my fellow Southerners, lol.

I'm loving the early light in the mornings, since I usually get up early. It starts getting light around 5:15-5:20 with sunrise around 6:00. Unfortunately, daylight saving time will kick in and mess me up all over again, lol. It will be near 80* today. My kind of weather!

Take care and stay safe.

Good morning KT, and anyone who arrives later!

Hope all is well, and everyone had a great weekend. Sigh... the weekend's gone, but this week in the DC area is supposed to be 65 to 75 degrees pretty much all week, so that's great...

Debating going to Wallyworld and buying supplies to wash the new truck myself, versus letting others do it. More expensive for others, but they don't always do as good a job as I would either. On the other hand, since I'm in an apartment, it's always such a pain to drag the hoses and everything to the one central car washing area. It really depends on the weather and my level of lazy really...

Wayne

Good morning. I had to scrape ice from the car windows before coming to work, but it is supposed to get into the 50s today.

Will be getting on the road shortly. Today is all country roads with no highway driving. That's fine with me.

Kt - I have no idea what pecans taste like (nut allergies), but your description doesn't make them sound appealing.

Wayne - Enjoy your new truck.

Good morning all, sun is coming out, though do not know for how long, since they are talking about chances of rain. Oh, yes, RAIN. Lots of snow melting going on, as did not get down below freezing last nite. 34 at 6 a.m. and 36 now.
@Wayne.....It helps to leave the truck or vehicle out in the rain........if it does rain. LOL. Don't you just throw all your supplies into the back of the truck, drive to car washing area? Anyway, your warm temps must be so the cherry trees all bloom in D.C.

As to pecans......My fav ice cream has always been butter pecan, but equal is praline pecan. LOL
And last week, had my very first taste of pecan pie, and it was really good. So.....you can tell how much I like pecans....guess even more than walnuts. LOL
A bit of laundry today, some bill paying, and maybe get a bit more desk decluttering. LOL (As if that ever works. Ha.

Merry Monday all! It is predicted we'll have cloudy skies and mid-70's today. :clap:

It's "hi ho hi ho, it's back to work I go" day. The HR person is not going to like my doctor's note insisting I only work part-time this week. I am relieved, as I have been up 1.5 hrs and already very tired. Time to catch up on baby charts, medications and treatment orders. Wishing you each a delightful start to our new eek.

KT: now I want pecan pie tonight! I love the southern-style with chocolate and Jim Beam! Enjoy your warm weather.

WAYNE: enjoy driving your new truck! And let someone else do the work - treat yourself.

SQUIRREL: enjoy your country-roads trip today! It is beautiful in the countryside and much more peaceful too.

Take care everyone. I will try to check in after work, unless I am sleeping on my feet! :wink:

A party cloudy morning here. It's going to be in the 60s today before
the rain tomorrow. Yesterday, I only got mulch out in my flower bed.
Mowing will have to wait.

Noel, I'm glad you're better so you can go to work.

Wayne, you can wash your truck at my house... you would have to wash
my car too. It's a mess inside and out :)

rs, enjoy your driving today. Watch out for those critters in the road.

I need to go and get my cleaning done.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good morning. Looks like a busy Monday morning for everyone. Kt, pecan pie, oh my goodness, it doesn't get any better than that! I can't eat any nuts on a regular basis but I absolutely love pecans! I would eat them everyday if I could. However, all pecans are not equal and I am very particular about them. I won't even touch the ones that are store bought. They do taste stale and terrible to me. I try to buy them fresh in the fall and shell them myself and put them right into the freezer, where they will stay fresh, almost forever. Or else buy them fresh, already shelled, for a small fortune, and put them in the freezer.

Wayne, washing one's own vehicle must be a "man" thing (something like changing one's own oil). I never understood why my husband wanted to do either one of those things. But either way, enjoy your truck, whatever you do!

Noel, I'm glad you are easing back into work. Hope it goes well for you!

Poirot, you once lived in Texas and you never had pecan pie until now? How could this be? Lol. I hope you don't turn to mush with all the melting snow and rain.

Squirrel, here's hoping your pneumonia is under control, or better yet, gone! Driving country roads in PA would be a mixed blessing. Much better than freeway, beautiful scenery, but all those winding hills used to get me completely disoriented.

Kat, your suggestion to watch out for critters on the road is good. Just a few miles from my house, on the pavement at a hill and a curve, there are three large dead hogs right beside the road. I haven't heard who hit them but I bet they have a dent in their vehicle, unless a truck bumper got them.

Mild but overcast and heavy feeling here. Rain, with possibly severe storms, are lined up for us this week. I'll be staying in, most likely. I got one table full of piled up papers mostly cleaned off yesterday. Folders laid out on another, long, table. I'm making progress, if only baby steps. Wishing a good day for all, and safety for those who are having excessive weather.

KT, Poirot, Noel: I had a drink (rare) of Christmas praline liquor/milk a couple of nights ago. :drunk: Love pecan pie/tarts. :)

Wayne: It would be nice it your apartment complex car-washing center included a nice hose.

Well folks, Spring has sprung! Ms. Nature made a liar out of me by only one week. :clap:

"Be careful out there!" -- Phil Esterhaus

Good Morning Everyone,

Had a crazy busy weekend and I don't think this week will be any better.

I've never had pecan pie. Looking and all that sticky sugar stuff that it's mixed in makes my teeth hurt, can't imaging eating it. However I do love butter pecan ice cream. :)

It was almost 50 degrees already when I came to work this morning. This weather is crazy. Our weather man said it's 20 degrees warmer than normal for this time of year.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Good morning. This has already be a VERY <expletive> BAD DAY. On Friday, I called Salvation Army to pick up couch, made arrangements and Saturday called for a time. Surprise, I was nowhere in the system. So I worked with new attendant and supervisor and got myself in system for pick up today, after being on HOLD for 40 minutes. Guess who isn't in the system again today???? I am so close to putting a listing on Craigs list. I just want this gone. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

My brother called and spoke with my father yesterday. That went about as well as I expected. Now my brother is worried about the fantasy life my dad is living in. If you have ever seen the wonderful movie Big Fish, that's living with my dad. We knew from a very early age that only 20% of what he was telling us was real. Now it's down to maybe, on a good day, 3%. So a family meeting will happen after Easter when my sister comes out for her annual visit.

Noel, I worked a full day every day last week and came home exhausted. And all I do is computer work. Do keep to half days.

Wayne, I too am mystified by the car wash thing. :) I need to get mine washed. I'll go to Costco and pay to drive through the tunnel thingy. But then I've been in California and live in a desert where they really discourage home car washing.

I love a good pecan pie, even if I can't say the word pecan correctly. The former Kansan I live with, who makes great fresh squeezed OJ, loves pecan pie. I try to make one at least once a year.

Everyone be safe today. And keep your fingers crossed the landscape guy shows up today or the afternoon will be no better than this morning.

Wayne, washing one's own vehicle must be a "man" thing (something like changing one's own oil). I never understood why my husband wanted to do either one of those things.
It's cathartic. Zen-thing maybe, at least until it hits 90 degrees outside, then it's worth paying someone else :)

As with changing the oil, it's the only way to absolutely be sure that it's done the way you want it.. :)

@OC.........I have NEVER lived in Texas. Been there a lot, visiting, sight seeing, plus daughter lives in Houston. Other daughter lives in GA, been there a lot as well. But no, Pecan Pie always LOOKED to me like pumpkin, with nuts on top. LOL. I do like pumpkin pie, but just never had it. Am not a desert eater after a meal, maybe that is why? LOL
Sun is shining brightly...up to 46 now. Amazing. Am seeing bare ground in just a few places. Mostly under wide spreading pines, who usually don't let much snow accumulate under (all on the branches, lol)

On a different note........Gasoline prices here have risen $.40 per gallon in 2-3 weeks! Are you all getting the same kinds of jumps in prices?

I never eaten pecan pie either. My family weren't Southern so we
never had it. It's not something I would want to eat.

Gas prices are going up here. It's almost back to $2.00 gal.

Last edited:
As with changing the oil, it's the only way to absolutely be sure that it's done the way you want it.. :)

Absolutely! The dealer incorrectly installed the filter on an almost-new pickup. Took a trip shortly after; fortunately, kin noticed the oil on his driveway. :angry: And, mechanics(?) have been known to cross-thread drain plugs, as witnessed by the repair kits being sold. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
PPS: Robin, as a last resort, couches burn very well. :rolleyes:
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Spent another fruitful/fruitless hour on the phone with Salvation Army. They are going to call me within an hour, a courtesy call. They have 15 minutes left.

I bought gas Wednesday night at $1.35 a gallon. Drove by the station Thursday morning, 10 hours later and gas was $1.43. No idea what happened while I was sleeping that raised prices. It's up to $1.50 now. Maybe spring break?? Kids out driving more??

I love a good pecan pie, even if I can't say the word pecan correctly.

LOL, I was going to look up different pronunciations of pecan and found this on Wikipedia: "Unusually, there is little agreement in the United States, even regionally, as to the "correct" pronunciation."

I can think of three ways I pronounce the word just off the top of my head. It usually depends on if I'm talking normally, being silly or expressing emphasis, lol.

But no, Pecan Pie always LOOKED to me like pumpkin, with nuts on top. LOL.

:rotfl: I'm not getting this pumpkin pie resemblance, but it's funny to me! I guess I grew up with both, so never thought about them looking alike.

Back