6-13-17 - Donuts and Hot, Hot, Hot!

@SHANRICK, wow, have you ever been through the wringer! I had sinus surgery scheduled a few years ago, but chickened out. It's difficult surgery, and sometimes the doc can't complete the job, as planned. :eek: :eek: I hope that, eventually, they will help you. Regarding kidney stones, hopefully the doc will break them up, first! You are in my thoughts, and prayers.

Regarding AC, everyone, man or beast, needs a cool place to sleep. Even if It's just a closet. Back when I lived with my parents, I got a night-shift job, requiring mid-day sleep. My folks "didn't need" AC. We had an idiot neighbor who cut his lawn every day, and started his mower under my open window. :angry: :angry: :angry:

After a couple of weeks of this, I headed on out, and bought a small, very easy to install, window unit, without permission. :eek: It required just two small holes in the window sill. Bliss! I paid my mom for the extra electricity used. After a couple of summers, the folks decided that they could use AC, after all, and had central put in.

In the desert, I think I would investigate underground houses. Saw an Australian movie about miners (opal?) that were living underground. Are people still building adobe houses? The temps that Noel and Robin are talking about are unreal! I hope you guys will be able to stay comfortable.

I'm at my son's house. A pleasant trip because I took the scenic, curvy road down. I saved an hour of
driving. It's been hot this afternoon. I'll be staying until dark and go back to my motel. FYI, I have to wear my
sweater at my son's house :)

My grandson is 6. He read me a book. My son says he's reading on 2nd or 3rd grade level.

shan, sorry to hear you've been so sick. Good luck tomorrow at the doctor.

robin, sorry to hear the rent problem. I hope it go worked out.

Talk to you guys later.

Good evening everyone,

I'm stoked because I go to New Orleans/Destin in just a week, and also was accepted as a contributor to the Jewish magazine of The Forward! It's not paid, but I am glad I'll be able to get some of my writing spread out there even more. I'm currently working on my first article.

I've been away for a bit---work has been extremely busy! Weather here went from being really nice and warm to oppressively hot (mid-90sF) and humid but sunny. I've at least enjoyed the pool a bit. My grandma and Bob were here for a few days before going to visit a relative in Fort Myers, and had the pleasure of seeing the first night of the fireflies! And my brother Noah graduated high school a few days ago during their visit and had a little party at the house, which was nice. We've been grilling a lot, and I've been reading a lot too.

Today I put in my notice at work--my last day will be July 8. I'm so relieved for a multitude of reasons, but do appreciate the time and experience (and cash) I got from this job, lol.

Hope all of you have a splendid night.

Shan, I am sending prayers your way now! You have gone through so much already. I hope they can fix whatever is happening now and the pain leaves you.

What a terrible ordeal you've gone through already.

Big Hugs, Joan

Degrassi, wow, lots of things happening for you these days! Enjoy!

Kat, thanks for checking in. Nothing more precious than a little one reading to grandma. Sounds like he's doing great with it too. Glad you enjoyed a scenic route.

A Guy, I loved your story about your parents and the a/c. There is an underground house not too far from where I live but I've never been inside it. I don't think I'd like to be underground but it does stay cool in our storm cellar (separate from the house) in the summer.

J.S., I'm sorry the mini-split didn't work out for you. The initial cost is pretty high when compared with a regular window unit. It made me gasp a little when I first read that you once bought an evaporative cooler. Yes, there is a reason people call them, "swamp coolers."

Noel, I can see how they would work better in your part of the world. One of my daughters-in-law is from El Paso. She says that's all people use out there. I'm thinking it probably isn't quite as hot there as where you live. I don't know. I haven't spent any time at El Paso, just passed through a few times. Anyway, your refrigerated air for backup is a blessing.

Back