6-15-17 - Donuts and a Pretty Picture

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. I waited to start the thread because I saw there were a few other Donuts people on the Spectator. I didn't want to hog the forum by starting it 3 days in a row, but it started getting later.

It just seems that horrifying events keep happening one after another... floods, storm damage, fires, shootings, etc. A nice way to start the day is with a picture of pretty flowers. These are Texas bluebells.

fredericksburg-4972.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for starting the thread, Squirrel, and thanks for the beautiful picture. These are Bluebonnets, our state flower. I've seen others, not from Texas, refer to them as Bluebells. Earlier in the spring they cover large areas, often with pink Indian Paintbrushes mixed in. Truly a breathtaking sight!

Also, you are right, we needed something refreshing, in the midst of all the chaos and evil happening everywhere.

Awww, a welcome sight this a.m. for sure. Down in Texas some areas are just fields and fields of these beautiful flowers.

Well, getting a day of sunshine, and "nice" today, a welcome change. We are forecasted for somewhat of a cool down next week, and of course, all those chances of showers, lol, so today is definitely an "enjoy" day.

Too bad I have a ton of stuff to do inside. Ha. Have a good one.

RS: you are so thoughtful! Thanks for being considerate of others and posting that lovely photo of bluebonnets. It is like a refreshing breeze on a still day and our souls need that today. Hope your soul flourishes today.

OC: The pink paintbrushes remind me of a gorgeous sunset when covering fields. A lovely unique view in Texas. Hope your day is sweet.

Poirot: your weather is never boring (like ours). Hope your busy day leaves you some time to enjoy your sunshine and clear skies.

Today we hit 108 and by Monday 119. Here goes the electric bill.:fan: Here is the forcast:

june14.jpg

RS has started our day with peaceful beauty and I hope that spirit blesses everyone today.:love:

Last edited:
Good Morning,

Thanks for starting RS. I've been on for a bit, but working between reading so I didn't get around to starting. The flowers are beautiful.

We had a wild and crazy afternoon yesterday. A huge storm, which spawned at least 3 tornadoes, went through the area. We ended up spending about 20 minutes in the afternoon in the storm shelters here at work.. At least 3 trees on the company grounds uprooted and took out the electricity to the whole area.

The office has a generator which keeps the computers on, but that's about all. One warehouse had an entire outside wall ripped off the building, as well as lots of other trees that fell on houses, cars, etc. The weirdest part is that all of this happened south of the river that runs through the city. I got home (on the north side) and it didn't even look like a leaf was blown off of a tree, just rain.

Today I get out of work at 2, then I get to go do some Girl Scout banking stuff. Afterwards I'll get Gena and head home to clean out my car and get packed to go spend Friday night/Saturday morning with my sister in IL for the New Kids On the Block Concert. I feel like a giddy 12 year old girl again.

Noel - stay cool in that heat girl, yuck.

Poirot - I say bring on the cooler temps.

OC - wow, that must be gorgeous to walk up to fields of those flowers.

Happy Thursday.

Morning all.

Gotta love a morning when your radio person say today will be 107, but the real heat will be next week and we won't talk about. :rotfl:

Just hoping I get the tape off my knee so I can enjoy the pool. On the other hand ,do I want the tape removed?? it may be painful.

Called stepmom last night. She wasn't home!!!!! She was out playing bingo. Seems since she moved to the new place, her social calendar has become quite full. This is a great deal. We will go out furniture shopping Saturday on one of the days with temps "we aren't going to talk about." So we will leave early, when it will be a pleasant 105.

Manda - several years ago when the spawn were tiny, I spent July and most of August in Minneapolis. We were at a McDonald's when suddenly we had to, under orders of the manager, run into the walk-in cooler. My mother-in-law helped usher the kids in. The tornado passed 1/2 a block away. You could see the damage. Terrifying. As a Californian, this was something very new. We got home and nothing was out of place. The cushions on the patio furniture not on the ground, nothing out of place. Go to the the 2nd floor look out the window and you could see the downed trees. Wacky. I'm just glad your place was safe. You didn't need that added to your plate. Enjoy the concert.

It is Thursday and I need to make that long walk to the office. I'll try to drop in during the day.

Manda: Tornadoes are quite the experience, aren't they? So glad you, family, and workplace remained safe. What fun this weekend to go to a concert with your sister. A New Kids on the Block concert should be great nostalgic fun! Rock those 90's fashions!

Robin: yes, you want the tape removed because you will be spending a lot of time in the pool with our forecast! The best news is knowing your stepmother has a fulfilling life again! Now if only the furniture stores opened at 6am when it might be 80F. [wink] Have a great day!

Noel, does the fact that AZ is not in the storm belt make your punishing temperatures a wee bit more tolerable? My local siren is wake-you-up loud, and they test it on the first Saturday of the month. :) :)

Regarding removing tape. I am, as much as possible, a do-it-myself kind of patient. :rolleyes:

I saw the urologist yesterday, and she is giving me until the 26th to pass it. I took my last pain pill Tuesday at 3:00pm and haven't needed one since. I thought that might mean I had passed it but they don't think so. I have been drinking lots of water and she said to walk a lot, jump on a trampoline or ride a roller coaster, but that's not going to happen. I will have another cat scan on the 26th, and if I still have it, I will have to have surgery. I sure don't want to do that.

Thank you for praying for me

AGuy: when we moved here I expected no storms. While it is different, dust storms are destructive to people and property. The good side is no tornadoes or hurricanes. If you love the heat and do not mind sun almost all year, this is the place to life. If you are like me. :rolleyes:

Shan: glad your pain is gone. Are you drinking cranberry juice too (or diluting it with water)? More prayers for healing quickly and without surgery. Keep your chin up!

RS: stay safe!!

Good afternoon everyone,

A few high clouds, but sunny otherwise and a pleasant 82F here. I was in the pool earlier getting a pre-Destin tan on a float. Even though today was supposed to be another one of my days off, a coworker had some concert to go to, so I have to cover the last three hours of her shift. :angry: I know I get the extra money and I'm leaving soon, but I have the short-notice stuff and the fact that nobody can ever seem to cover for me when I need it. At least I get paid tomorrow.

Noel, I can't even imagine how you tolerate an overnight low of 90F. I'm happy that Arizonans get really warm pool water, though, but is it refreshing in that heat? Do you ever go to San Diego in the summer for the cooler weather or the sea?

RS, stay safe in that storm. I think it's headed our way tomorrow.

Have a good night, all.

Days: your work situation sounds frustrating. Love the idea of a pre-Destin tan. That extra money may come in handy on your trip.

You asked about water in these temps. I don't have a pool but my sister does on the east side of town. She is having it converted to salt water. While the water is very warm on hot days, it still beats 110/above in the sun (wink). And I have no choice but to tolerate the heat. Yes, we try to take to take trips away. My sister leaves town June through September, so we often visit her up north. Thanks for asking. Hope I answered your queries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Everyone,

It's a miserable cool, humid, drippy day. Supposed to rain harder later today and tomorrow. The high later this week should be dry, low 80's. That will be nice for a change. My flowers on the deck will appreciate it!

Yesterday I went to the nail shop in town with one of my neighbors and had a great time. Got a manicure and a pedicure and felt wonderful when I got home! I don't usually get both on the same day but it sounded like a good idea at the time! :)

I hope you all have a great weekend coming up!!

Big hugs to you all.
Joan

Newt, how nice that you got to go out and get the nail thing done with a friend! Hope you dry out and warm up soon.

Noel, I've never heard of a swimming pool with salt water. That is fascinating. What is the reason behind it? Our river has salt water but also has red mud. A swimming pool would nicer.

Shan, it's too bad you don't have a horse with a rough trotting pace. That would probably do the trick. If you were here, I'd take you bouncing over our rough pastures in the truck. I hope surgery won't be necessary.

Squirrel, I hope you don't get a migraine from the weather. I don't know that conditions could get any worse than they already were for your breathing, but I imagine all that moisture doesn't help. Be safe in the storms.

A. Guy, I wonder if it is a male thing to remove whatever held a wound together oneself. When my son was a kid he had stitches (I can't remember where now, as he was always injuring one thing or another) and he removed them himself. At least he did wait almost until the scheduled time when he was supposed to have gone back to have it done at the doctor's office.

Degrassi, maybe you'll have a special need for the extra money you've earned. Or better yet, something you'd just really like to use it for.

Oh, my, you all have been so full of news. Also want to know why converting the pool to salt water. I know it is more buoyant, but ??? I never liked having to wash off after being in the ocean, even if just wading.

Shan, I sure do hope you get to pass that stone. (Remember Sunny...she had the problem, even called me, so jubilant she had passed it! ) A male friend of ours just went through all that.

Squirrelly, I really do wish you were able to stay home and get all the rest you really need to put that pneumonia bug away for good.

And A Guy.....I know you are happy to feel better enough to get out of the house, but I sure hope you are over your contagious period, and not spreading the goodies around out there. Sorry, I just have a "thing" about that. Stems from MY days of testing vision and hearing in the schools, and getting colds constantly from the kids who came to school anyway. :)

Newt............I envy you the pampering manicure/pedicure. Never had either, my nails chip so badly, polish sure never lasts long, no matter what brand/kind.

And our recent graduate is getting away on vacation........Lucky guy. What does the future hold, Daysdg? Are you going back for extra degree? going for a job? You gave notice for the part time one, what is it you think you might want to do now?

Guess I have babbled long enough. Hummers have sure been active every day. Love seeing them, don't love having to constantly make new batches of their "meals". LOL

I got home about six hours ago. I would have gotten home a little sooner,
but I ran into rain. It poured so hard I couldn't see the road. I'm glad I
was driving the opposite way the storm was going since it didn't last too long.

I took a different route to the main highway where I was going. It saves an
hour driving time. Along the route back, I saw a roadrunner. It's been
awhile
since I've seen one. I went home first, I unloaded car then got the pets. I wish
I could have had a longer visit.

manda, I'm glad your home was ok from the storms. Enjoy the weekend with
your sister at the concert.

rs, I hope the storms weren't too bad where you are. I hope you're feeling better.
Thanks for posting the beautiful flower.

DaysD, sorry your afternoon was interrupted. But you are getting little bit extra money.

Noel, sorry about the heat.

robin, I'm glad your stepmom is enjoying her new place.

shan, good luck getting rid of the kidney stone.

newt, sounds like you had a nice afternoon yesterday.

Poirot, keep enjoying the hummers

I hope everyone has a restful night.

Back