8/3/17 - Donuts & a Cold Front

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brrrrr.......Boy, a cold front moved in, wind blowing, cloudy, overcast and 55......and that is the high for the day. Rain is due, it is grey, dark, and yep, tis raining, lightly right now, but you would swear it was late fall. Ha. So we all sweltered two days ago, and here we are freezing and tempted to put on the heat. Well, not me, but hubby certainly will at some point.

He should still be in hospital, stubborn, gave them a hard time, they probably were glad he left. Grumpy and cranky, for sure.

Not sure why so many are so hesitant to start this thread in the a.m. when they first get here???

Well, now I have gotten really behind on work, reports, bills, etc. Seems like there is no light at the end of the tunnel these days. LOL Wishing you all a good day, good health, no problems. :)

Good morning everyone.

I'm just out of sorts since I never got up until 5:45 this morning. I slept through the tv coming on full blast at 5:00 AM, an old fashion alarm clock with the bells on top, my phone going off every 5 minutes, and 2 wake to music alarms that go off in alternate 5 minute intervals.

I have too much to do at work today. Plus I have to leave work early for my eye exam 2 blocks away. The office called yesterday to say they had to change my appointment that was scheduled for Friday morning (my day off) because the doc is leaving for vacation then.

Poirot - I try to take my turn to start Donuts. I just feel funny jumping in to do it every day since we had a problem a long time ago.

Good Morning!

This insomniac was awake all night, again. This routine is getting very old, or it is making me very old. Just exhausted and time to start the day.

Today will be 102, humid, partly cloudy. Same ole monsoon weather through the month. Ho hum.

Meet my new physician today at 10am. My previous physician retired, sold his practice, so I finally took the leap. In this field of medicine it doesn't ease frustration when you know the why or how but still do not look forward to all the paperwork.

Poirot: what I would give for 55F!!!! And bring on the rain!! Autumn is about to sweep in east of the Mississippi. Sigh. Well, I will decorate the inside of my house for Fall when the eyes heal.

RS: good luck on your eye exam. Changes in appointments are more than inconvenient, especially when sleep issues rob you of strength.

When did we have a problem with starting donuts thread? I just don't want to 'hog' it when I am up this early.

Morning Everyone,

I'm never afraid to start the thread. I just usually arrive too late. :)

RS - you must have really been tired to sleep through all that.

Noel - I hope you can work in a nap today. I don't know how you manage to stay up for so many hours straight.

Poirot - so nice out this morning. I love the cooler temps it's so refreshing.

Tonight, we have Girl Scouts. My co-leader will start working on our first Brownie Badge for hiking. We figured we better get working on some of these outside badges before it gets too cold to do them. It also works out great that we meet in a park and will have lots of room to get up and go with the girls.

I just hope my foot holds out. I hurt my heel last night while making dinner. I turned around on my heel and hit the spot on my kitchen floor where the 2 laminate flooring pieces don't quite meet up. I can't see any visible damage on my heel but it sure hurts if I put my foot down flat.

Ooh, just in case anyone should ever need to fend off bed bugs (hotels or whatever), I've learned that they hate the smell and taste of lavender. I have some homeopathic bug spray with lavender as an ingredient and boy it works wonders to keep them from biting.

Manda: just love hearing about your Brownie group. They will enjoy a hike and earning another badge. Sorry your heel is bruised and sore. Hope it heals soon. Thanks for the lavender tip. The thought of bed bugs makes my skin crawl.

Noel - Whenever I'm awake, no matter where I might be, I feel like I have bugs crawling on me. I had to find a way to keep them off my skin (and the rest of the family too), if for no other reason than my sanity. A hair blowing across my arm makes me think it's a bug. I'll probably have nightmares about this forever.

As for Girl Scouts, in September we'll be working on our bug badge. I get to lead that one, although after the last week, I don't much feel like talking about bugs. :rolleyes:

Good morning. I'm in a quandary. My landlord stopped by the shop to check on my car yesterday. He thought a man could find out more (lol). Anyway, the price to "repair" the car went up a bit, since the estimate the mechanic gave me didn't include pumping the gas-laden oil out of the car, then replacing oil and filter. There is no certainty that, by doing this, the motor won't still be a goner.

I'm looking at close to $800, but Mr. Landlord thinks I should get it repaired and all will be fine. He offered to loan me the money, if I pay $300, and let me pay him back by tacking on extra to my rent every month. That was so nice of him to offer help, but I just don't know what to do. Flip a coin? I wouldn't even be able to take Remmy or Sparky to the vet if something happened.

I'll go whine some more, now, lol.

Take care everyone.

Noel, is it possible that your insomnia is somehow related to the anesthesia used during your surgery? I hope that as your eyes heal, you will resume your former sleep habits. Try to stay cool, today, and take a nice nap!

Manda, that lavender bug spray sounds like a good idea. If the bedbug invasion doesn't reverse soon, folks will have to travel with a specially-trained beagle! :)

I got a call yesterday (at Wed. buffet) letting me know that Friday's eye surgery will have to be re-scheduled. :angry: I had steeled myself for the procedure, but, c'est la vie! :rolleyes:

Poirot, I usually hesitate to start Donuts, because I am a slow typist. This often results in a dual opening, which then has to be merged. I will jump in the next time I wake early. :)

KT, I wish you knew someone that could fix your car for a little less. Something else to consider, if you decide not to fix it, you will still be billed for the investigative work already done. :angry:

Be careful out there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone!

Poirot, 55 degrees is a little chilly for August.

Rs, I hope your day is going better now. You must have really needed that sleep to sleep through all that.

Manda, thanks for the tip about Lavender. Living in an apartment always makes me nervous about bedbugs. Thankfully new carpet was installed before we moved in. I just have to worry about how clean my neighbors are.

Noel, good luck with the new physician.

Kt, I hope you find a solution to your car trouble. Sounds like you are in a really difficult position.

A.Guy, rescheduling sucks. You're all ready to have it done and then you learn you have to prepare yourself all over again.

Some loon keeps calling in bomb threats to all the local military installations here. Today they've decided to make one to the Naval Shipyard. I hope they catch this clown/clowns.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Morning all.

I hate to report I slept well last night. But then the night before was not the case. Amazing what a night in a bed and not a recliner with a struggling to breathe.

I am hoping for a quiet day. Let us see how that goes.

Off to the 6 steps to the work office. I'll check back later.

KT - wow, what a bummer about your car, and how sweet of your landlord.

A.Guy - sorry your surgery got postponed, that's awful

Red - sadly anyone can get bed bugs now days no matter how clean your house/apartment might be. You can pick up "hitchhiking" bugs while you're traveling and bring them home. Or, as in my case, they can travel through the walls to separate parts of the building. I must say I've learned more than I ever wanted to know about these nasty little vampire bugs.

Good morning. Wow, so much going on with everybody, I won't try to comment on all of it, though I would like to. I ramble too much as it is. I will make an effort to start the thread more often but I've been taking allergy pills lately and they make me sleep later. Also, since I can't drink coffee or tea, and I've gotten off Coke, I have to eat as soon as I can in the mornings to keep from getting a headache, so I go straight to getting breakfast when I get up.

Noel, some years ago one of the posters started the thread everyday and it seemed she got to feeling a kind of "ownership" of it and she wasn't too happy when others beat her to it. She also didn't like for us to comment on the previous day's thread--stuff like that. I don't mean to be ugly about her, just trying to explain. Someone can put me in my place if I've told it wrong.

My heart goes out to everyone with insomnia and/or cranky, ill husbands!

I'll check back later.

Afternoon all. Another cool morning for the morning walk. After breakfast,
I went outside and did yard stuff. I was in the flowerbed for awhile. The
butterflies are so close you hear their wings. Today I saw the hummingbird
when I heard it buzz by
. It was sunny when I was outside. Now it's cloudy.

kt, it was nice of your neighbor to find out about your car. Too bad the
Salem money tree is only in Salem :)

rs, I hope your day has gone well after getting up late.

Poirot, I would wear long sleeves and pants at your house.

Noel, I hope you like your new doctor.

manda, have a good evening at Brownies.

A Guy, sorry your surgery will be postponed.

robin, I hope you're having a quiet day at work.

OC, I hope you're having a good day.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day and sleeps well tonight.

Home from my new physician appointment. He is a compassionate young man -- a hottie. He barely charged me today as it was just new patient review. Signed medical records releases, et al. My next appointment is set to include a full physical, EKG, etc. etc.

Manda: I could not teach about bugs. As a child they fascinated me but as an adult they creep me out. Here the critters can kill you if the wrong one bites you. You are a courageous woman, knowing how you feel, to teach this subject. I applaud you! :clap:

KT: wow, what a decision you have to make. And doesn't a 'man' looking over everything make you feel so much better.:rolleyes: People mean well -- they care -- but even in my family I roll my eyes at that suggestion. Your landlord certainly has given you a practical way to fund repairs which shows his compassion. As for which decision? Trust you heart is my guide and cope with what the results are. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Thinking of you!

AGuy: surgical dates re-arranged is very frustrating. But since you 'steeled yourself' you will be twice as ready, right? Well that's my lopsided logic anyway. Make it a great day.

JS: you just relieved a load of guilt from off my shoulders when you have to merge my threads. [wink]

Red: I hope they catch those 'yahoos' who make false alarm calls. They irritate the heck out of me. And yet our vets get complaints if they fly an American flag or drape their mailbox with a flag cover?! End of rant - sorry - hope your day gets better and better.

Robin: hope your day is breezing along easily and you are ready for another good nights sleep! Mr. Gus I trust is healing up well and as adorable as always. And Honey Bunny continues to keep his feet up, right? Time for you to focus on you too. Sending good wishes your way.

OC: it is good you are sleeping better and your body can heal quicker that way. It does seem that insomnia and cranky husbands are going around this week. Too bad there isn't a pill for that - :). Hope your weather is milder, your chores are all done, and you can relax for a couple of days.

Kat: how lovely you could spend time this morning in your beautiful garden! I love it when butterflies, dragonflies and/or hummies buzz by your ears in the meadows/gardens. A very pretty life sound. Hope you don't get too much rain after all your yard work. Have a good evening.

Back