9-14-17 - Donuts and Mending Fences

Hello everyone,

My thoughts are with all those affected by these terrible natural disasters. Thanks to all the heroes helping out down south and up in the northwest.

Weather has warmed up here the past few days--rainy, but 80F or a bit over, so the humidity and mosquitoes are back. Nights are cool, but not as much as they were just last week. I had my first Monday classes and my first Hebrew class on Tuesdays, and they were all good. Looking forward to it, even if the workload will be hefty. I skipped mediation on Tuesday because I was invited to a conference in Washington DC about Kurdish independence and their referendum in just about two weeks.

It was a great networking opportunity! I learned a lot and met some important people (the unofficial ambassador of Kurdistan) and there was good food too. I also had a chance to see my brother (I stayed in his dorm overnight). He went to the conference with me (as did a Facebook friend who lives in the area), and then we did some sight-seeing and grabbed dinner.

I had personal training today and have it again tomorrow after class. Am going to try and get some homework done so that I can get all caught up on the soap tomorrow. Have a good night.

True! I was mostly thinking about people in that river town just having to move a short distance. The biggest problem would be that some of the 2-lane roads are curvy, and steep. The people that live there get their speed up, to make it easier for their car/truck to get up a hill. :eek: :eek: :eek: Not this guy, let the transmission downshift!

As kt noted, no area is immune to a sudden weather problems. High ground can mean mudslides, rockslides, etc. Last year there was a huge rain storm coupled with high winds. Up near Lake Superior, major highways collapsed, roads closed, as did bridges. That has never happened, even with the snows, blizzards, etc. Where I live, same thing. 6 homes were destroyed because of flooding when a tiny creek overflowed. The damage everywhere was unreal. This country deals with snow problems constantly, wind as well, but freak storms, tons of trees down, dams giving way, flooding......that is rare.

This is not tornado alley, but yep, had a couple. One never knows. Heck, we read all the time of a place where whatever has not happened in over a hundred years (you know, like the Cubs winning the World series last year, lol) and suddenly BINGO!

I live in an area that is on a 100 year flood plain (according to geological data). The major flood here just happened to be in my lifetime, but there are no guarantees. Mother Nature doesn't care about our statistics, lol.

Back