9-26-16 - Donuts and rain

OC...perhaps you can PM me about this......but I have been looking into trying a hot spot with not much success. The definitions of them vary vastly, from just a "place" to an actual machine of some kind.

Is there really a monthly cost, or "per use" cost. or ????

But there is not only a charge for the device, but an additional charge for "use", right? I really don't have a problem getting the internet, but it is going into a different room, (laptop) or even outside (my son & his tablet).

I have a booster.....lol. My son put it up, doesn't help much. We just have so many trees, a forest, so there is no escaping them.

Poirot, I think kt is talking about a wifi router like I have. Mine is a Cisco Linksys E1000.

It plugs into my Verizon internet source box with an ethernet cable. Then all of my devices work over my Verizon internet wirelessly. I can go all the way out to my road (175 feet) and still have a strong internet connection on my laptop, tablet, Kindle Fire, and phone (I use the phone on the internet connection at home instead of using the data download.) Even my printer is wireless.

A computer or printer can still work through the router with a connected ethernet cable if they don't have wireless capability.

A bonus is that my brother and sister-in-law can be on the internet when they visit, but they go on through the secure passworded guest connection.

Yes, there is a fixed monthly fee for using the hot spot, plus a start-up or purchase price of around $40 at the beginning. The device can be used in any room or outside or anywhere, so long as you have it near the computer. But for when my broadband internet is working, I have a wireless router, as Kt and Squirrel mentioned. It is in the center of my house in a closet. It allows me to be online anywhere in the house or out in my yard. Also, when my kids are here they can all connect to it with the password, same as Squirrel said.

Back