Actress leaving

I think that casting call was for her recast as well. I really wish the show would try out Shenae Grimes-Beech with Billy Flynn (Chad). She has a similar look and mannerisms to Kate Mansi (Abby) and I think she could totally pull of the chemistry. If it's an immediate recast, looks will matter. For those who don't know, Shenae played Annie on the 90210 reboot and has been doing sporadic tv movies since.

I don't see how they can't recast Abigail, especially where Chad it concerned. I just hope it's an actress that will have great chemistry with Chad. Although I've come to like Kate Mansi/Abigail (after the EJ debacle), it won't be that much of a problem for me getting used to someone else playing the character. It's not like losing an actor who plays a character that is irreplacable.

This is terrible. Wonder why Kate Mansi/ Abigail is leaving? The Chad/Abigail story is far from over and is probably a super couple in waiting. So it is my opinion, that Abigail will be recast. What a shame about Kate Mansi leaving. So sad. What is going on at the studio? Dying, literally jumping ship by cast members. What do you suppose is really going on behind the scenes???? :fan: :eek: :confused: :cry: ShaSha

Evidently the actress has some opportunities she wants to follow, and actually, she wanted to leave last year. The days of young actors coming onto a soap, and staying for 20 years is long gone. She decided she did not want to renew her contract (which was up) just as Freddie Smith did (Sonny), so the show has had ample notice.

I'm not an Abby fan, so I will happily say goodbye and good luck to Kate Mansi.

She may be leaving to pursue other opportunities and/or she may not have been happy with her new contract offer.

If there is a recast, I don't think it will happen immediately.

edited to write out actress' name; In order to be clear, we do not use only initials to refer to actors on this board - JS

Last edited by a moderator:
Well poop! I hope she is very successful in whatever she pursues. Recasting is tricky for me. Kate Mansi really made Abby hers. I wasn't looking forward to a Chad recast and Billy Flynn came in and was just fabulous from his first scene. Far different than my thoughts on the new Ciara. And I'm not at all sure what I think about the new Philip. He's being played so differently. Well he's playing more like the actor who played him when he married Belle than when Jay Kenneth Johnson played him. Jay was much more charming and I see no charm in the new Philip.

Last edited by a moderator:
And each recast has portrayed their character very differently from the actor who portrayed it before. Heck, Mike Horton has had over a dozen different actors portray that character.

All these characters are now a lot older than when they first appeared. Days is very fortunate they have managed to retain some of their actors for so many years, as they do know their characters very well.

People do change thru the years........and how many of us have thought back to something 10-20 years ago, and wondered how we could have done something so stupid, or why we did not choose something else. And yet, as we grow up, we all think that NOW we are old enough, mature enough, to make the good choices, the right choices. LOL

At this point Jay Kenneth Johnson has been my favorite Philip. Unless they give Philip some charm he's going to just be a jerk. Not a villain, a jerk. Watching just a jerk isn't fun. Heck even EJ had some charm and some of his time with Nicole was really good. Also his affair with Abby gave him some life.

With so many cast changes the new actors really need to kick it up a notch or the departures are going to hurt the show. I don't want to only watch a few minutes of each episode but I am finding myself liking Chase much more than Ciara. He's settling into the role much easier than she is. The SORAS'd group really needs to get better sooner rather than later.

If it's an immediate recast, looks will matter. For those who don't know, Shenae played Annie on the 90210 reboot and has been doing sporadic tv movies since.

She left Degrassi to do 90210. I like her.

I just wonder if they will recast so quickly, or if she'll take the baby to meet Jen's mom or Jack's family and come back a month or two later with a new face.

I love Kate Mansi (Abby) and wish her well. Is was a pleasure getting to meet her a few years ago. I'm going to miss her!!!

I am ok with a recast. I'll be ok if she just leaves for a while, but please don't kill her. With these writers, she could very well end up in a meat grinder. They seem to enjoy killing characters here lately. I'm just hoping and praying for anything but a death.

Abby has been in a pretty miserable state for over a year now (the unhappy affair with EJ, the back and forth with Ben and Chad, etc, etc.) I sure do hope the dark cloud that's been growing over Salem dissipates and characters like Abby get happier storylines. Kate Mansi (Abby) has a beautiful smile, I'd like to see it more often on the show before she exits.

I've been expecting this news for some time as it has been rumored for awhile now that Kate Mansi (Abby) would be leaving the show. I'm sad because I really think they struck gold with this Abby/Chad pairing and was hoping she would reconsider and re-up her contract now that she has "supercouple" story going but apparently she decided to move on from daytime. I wish her well. From a selfish standpoint, I sort of hope she's leaving with the option of coming back in the future and maybe they can creatively write her out for some time and then bring her back at a later date. Perhaps she can end up going insane a la grandma Laura and go for treatment, Chad gets custody, and then she returns down the road. Otherwise, I suppose a recast could work. But I'm just thinking with Thomas they'd have to come up with something that would be plausible for Abby to be away from Salem and Chad still there. I can't see Abby leaving Salem with the baby.

I never really liked Abby until she and Billy Flynn (Chad) got together. I didn't like her with Cameron or the previous Chad and I hated her with EJ. Hopefully she won't be gone long.

Super Couple to be is definitely Chad/Abby, but now a recast will have to be spot-on. I was so looking forward to this coupling. I am hopeful that the casting department will find the right person. ShaSha

Camilla Banus (Gabi) left to spread her wings elsewhere, she made a movie or two, and is back, but I thought it was short term.
The thing is.......there has been no announcement of NBC renewing Days beyond Sept. 2016. Currently, that is when the current contract ends. So, if you have actors leaving on their own, or only agreeing to return short term...they might feel that they are going to be out of a job anyway.
January is usually when casts are chosen for new shows, or to add to shows already running.
Kate Mansi has some things she wants to do, just like Jason Cook (Shawn) and Freddie Smith (Sonny)...and these actors really have to schedule far in advance, it seems.

Camila Banus (Gabi) has stated in interviews that she is back for at least a year. I know she is involved in another TV pilot too but she is still on Days. She seems very happy.

I think actors leaving now could also mean they know the show is getting renewed so they don't want to commit to another year at the moment. Works both ways.

Back