Anyone else garden? Part 2

I hope I can dig holes for them. The ground is getting hard where
I want to plant them.

Mean ole hungry caterpillars have been attacking my tomatoes, but thankfully they are so loaded that I'm still getting plenty to share. My mother and sister stopped by today on their way back from Mama's Dr appointment and I gave them a bag with 18 tomatoes I picked this morning. I really hate to use a lot of pesticides.

I'll be using the pot I got last year when I bought a full grown tomato plant.
Someone last year planted if for me. Last year, was the drought
in my area so I hardly got any. My project Sun is putting the plants in the pot.

kt, how many plants to do you have? I wish I could remember how
my dad got rid of bugs on his tomato plants.

I just finished drilling holes near the bottom of the sides of two of my new tomato plant containers. Turns out that the drainage holes that they came with were too high up. I hadn't watered those two plants since we had heavy rains last week, but the soil was still wet. The one plant's leaves were turning yellow and all limp, but the other one looked ok.

I had to get my feet out of the way in a hurry because water started pouring out of the yellow plant's pot as soon as I made the first hole. All in all, about two quarts of water came out of that drowning plant. The other one had a few cupfuls drain from it.

The other two pots that I had from last year have good drainage. I'm kicking myself for not noticing the problems with the new ones sooner. Hopefully, the yellowing plant will bounce back. It already has nine green tomatoes on it.

I potted two of the biggest tomato volunteers I have. I put them in
the biggest pot I have so I hope it works. I have them on my back
porch and they will get afternoon sun.

Then I picked some polk salad (sp). I haven't eaten any
in a long time and there are new plants growing this year. I got leaves
off the younger plants. I hope I remember how to cook them.

Worth a try katmouse!

I put ornamental gourds in my window boxes in the fall, when they turn to mush I throw them in my walled garden in the front - I always get a couple plants out of them and it's like a bonus and I get a kick out of it. :)
A word of advice/// Do not plant watermelon , cucumbers, muskmelon, or squash near the ornamental gourds.... They are not the least bit shy..... They mix... I had a very colorful, but horrible tasting watermelon that grew one year, and I love the melons, but not mixed.... Euckie....:):sick::cry:

I have four tomato plants, Kat. The critters eating my plants/fruit should be as big as cows by now! How do little caterpillars eat so much? Morph already!! Turn into a moth NOW!! LOL
Did you try the tomato worm powder I was telling you about yesterday KT? Those hungry little worms will destroy your garden, and it is easy to get rid of them, and if the young does not get destroyed too... they reinfest your garden.... good luck..

Thanks Days Pretender, I will see about getting some of that powder. These little worms are ravenous!! And yes, some of those plants can cross pollinate and make a very untasty snack, lol.
Katmouse, around here we call what you picked polk sallet or pokeweed. Just make sure to use young leaves as the older ones can be upsetting to your system, lol.

I googled word and that's what it came up. I think I used to spell saladt with
a "t". I remembered not to get older leaves. I saw recipe on internet. I don't have
an egg (used to make with that) so I'll be finishing it off a different way.

Back