Beyond Salem preview

Thanks, robin. It sounds like it's only going to be on for one week. I wonder what time it will start.

I have tried and tried to find that out, Kat, so am guessing it will be available at one's own convenience.
Also, am guessing, too, but as someone suggested, the reason for promoting this series as hard as they are, is to actually promote Peacock itself. They definitely mention their "7000 hours" of other free programming, movies, series, etc. And while this is all free subscription, they have a paid one with no ads.

The future (and, frankly, the present) is all about streaming—especially for niche content that doesn’t have a broad audience. I can see the show moving totally to streaming at some point. Building an audience on streaming is vital. Many people cut out traditional cable. Most people don’t watch over the air TV and haven’t for over a decade (back when it was my job to look at stats like that).

So I looked it up. There’s more over the air TV now than there used to be, but those additions are in younger and more diverse demographics. Many of them switch to over the air TV and supplement with streaming. If Days wants to keep eye balls, it has to adjust.

1630497989149.png
SVOD is subscription video on demand, like Netflix.

VMVPD is virtual multichannel video programming distributor, think YouTubeTV or HuluTV. It’s traditional cable (MVPD) programming but virtual, all streaming.

The groups aren’t mutually exclusive.

The pay TV number is shrinking. Over the air was shrinking, grew a little, then stalled. The others are where the growth is.

Last edited:
I really feel for older people who are so bewildered about the constant changing of broadcasting. Roof antennas to cable, to sattelite, smart phones, texting, streaming..........I have overheard conversations wherein the person(s) just gave up & don't have anything as it keeps changing, they don't understand or can't afford.

I really feel for older people who are so bewildered about the constant changing of broadcasting. Roof antennas to cable, to sattelite, smart phones, texting, streaming..........I have overheard conversations wherein the person(s) just gave up & don't have anything as it keeps changing, they don't understand or can't afford.
This is why one the the fastest growing things is something like HuluTV or YouTubeTV. It has a traditional TV experience without having to engineer an antenna, and you can turn it on and off easily if you have budget constraints. Yes, someone has to connect to the Internet, but honestly, more and more, even “older” people are used to that now. I’m in my mid-40s. My dad is in his mid-70s, and people his age have still been working around computers, etc. for decades, some of them. Someone in their 50s or 60s today is more likely than not to be comfortable going online to watch video, unlike 20 years ago. In fact, Baby Boomers are more and more in the cord cutting (dump TV) category than Gen X. Gen X is keeping pay TV alive as nearly half of the pay TV audience, even though we’re a smaller generation.

If Days is going to survive to be available at all for anyone, it needs more revenue. Traditional TV ad revenue may not be enough, considering its numbers.

And that’s my research report for the morning. I need to do my actual job (not my job from 10 years ago) at some point.:)

I’m looking forward to streaming the show.

Yes, I have a friend who has youtube TV, but she seems to not have all that much to watch, tho she does watch on her TV. Before we got sattelite, I used to have a 12 ft. pole antenna on the roof. Living rural, amid huge trees created quite a bit of difficulty, plus over 120 miles from the broadcast centers in another state.

I do not have tv at home. I watch programs and movies on You tube (free ones), Redbox (free ones) and I pay $10 a month for peacock without adds a month. If you don't mind ads its $5 a month. I love a lot of the shows on it and new shows that are available. For $10 a month I am entertained!

I'm one of those old 70 year olds. I'm on a very limited fixed income. I am over the air as that is all I can afford. I have an old XP desktop computer and a Chromebook that was gifted to me . I have the slowest DSL that Verizon offers - 1 mg (not gigabyte but megabyte), that often is only 750 kb. so streaming would be very difficult. I can still watch most of the videos on YouTube that I want to watch, but not all. I do not own a smart phone, but a dumb flip phone for emergencies and a landline.
I am certainly aware of all the streaming options available and such. I've read all about them and am certainly aware that the technical world is passing me by. At one time I was at the cutting edge with 1401s, 360s and on to earlier PCs. Then I fell off that edge when things went wrong in my life, and here I am now.
They will never have me with all of those streaming services and I'm well aware that I am someone they don't want anyway. Old and poor doesn't pay the advertising ad bills.
So I will watch Days of Our Lives over the air, and the extras on YouTube until they make that unusable for me too. So far, that has sufficed. There are people that post videos on YouTube that aren't too advanced for me to view with some occasional buffering. So far that has included missed episodes and the extras from Days.
I'm not unhappy with this. It is what it is. I'll be satisfied as long as I can see Days.

I think Days wants anyone they can get. It's just that the future of how they'll get paid to create the show is on streaming. That's why they keep trying new avenues for it. I think this one should work better than the Days app, which was too isolated to make sense. I wish they could work out the agreements so they could offer episodes from years gone by. I'd love to watch the show from 20 or 30 years ago or watch Another World again.

@thelindaj -Understand completely...not quite in same boat, but close. No smart phone, desktop computer, old cell phone only for emergencies, etc. But, I still can watch Days on TV, but cannot do summaries due to hubby's declining health & issues. I am glad those who have difficulties manage to come here, post. Love to hear from everyone. Thank you, thank you all. God Bless.

We are a streaming only household and have been for years. Our only option living in the county was satellite and it when it got to $100 a month for very littler we dropped it. We have Netflix, Hulu, and prime tv. Along with free apps such as peacock. Pay much less than $100 a month and everyone in the house has something to watch.
Free locals via antenna as well - bless my TV repair man father in law for setting that up

The sad thing about this is, the Beyond Salem series sounds way more interesting that Days does itself currently.

On a side note - I know many of you remember Oak Alley when Bo and Hope were there. The oaks got destroyed by Ida. :( Tried to post a pic but it says it is too large. you can try to look here: https://www.facebook.com/Robert.C.Amort

1630718198712.png

Last edited:
There's only one photo at the link.

I laughed when I read the article because the jewels are the same color as the NBC peacock :)

Back