Days moving to Peacock Sept 12

I loved that show and I appreciated that they paid to have current music on it.
At one time, all the soaps used current music. But as times changed, it became outrageously expensive to use popular music on the soaps (or on TV and in movies).

Another World went off the air in 1999, right around the time changes in music usage started happening. I remember an old interview in SOD with someone who worked for Y&R. She said a big part of her job was searching through MySpace pages, looking for artists with music that would suit their specific scenes/needs. When she found artists/songs that would be suitable, she'd contact them to see if the show could use the music in exchange for the publicity, which was a win/win for the show and the artist, because it was just too expensive to use popular music, both current and old songs.

In order to re-run those old shows with music, a ton of red tape has to be cut through and a LOT of money has to change hands for the music to be used. I read that getting WKRP In Cincinnati released on DVD was a nightmare due to the copyrighted music, and that in many episodes, the songs were removed from the background or replaced with other songs.

Here's a clip of Donny and Marie Osmond on The Talk, when he surprised her on her 60th birthday. Alan, Wayne, Merrill and Jay were also there. Donny jokes about breaking into One Bad Apple, a song that was a huge hit for the brothers back in the day. Marie immediately cuts him off, saying they'd have to pay for it. (it happened another time Donny was on there; he started to sing Puppy Love and Julie Chen cut him off with "no, no, we can't afford that!" - and these are songs that were huge hits for Donny and his brothers).

Scroll to the 3:17 mark

No idea if there is any sort of time limit on having to pay.
No, there's no time limit. And if an actor has died, their estate/heirs have to give permission to use their images/scenes in most cases. The daughter of Robert Reed (Mike Brady from the Brady Bunch) has an iron fist with her dad's likeness, which is why his face is often omitted on Brady Bunch items now. (like this ornament for example)

s-l500.png

My uncle who died last year was a well-known journalist in his field. Since he named me executrix in his will and left everything to me, I now have to authorize all use of his past articles and give my permission to have any of his old work or interviews republished (since he was an independent journalist, not a staff writer for any publication or website). I had to retain a lawyer to handle all of those inquiries and the money paid for the usage.

I think what they get paid for repeats depends on their contract at the time the episode first aired. But I know that it drips down to 5% of the initial pay after so long and remains there. At least that’s what I had read for other shows repeats

A lot of what actors get paid for repeats depends on various contracts. To use an actor's picture on a show usually isn't very expensive, though (for the most part). When Steve Burton (who recently played Harris Michaels on Beyond Salem 2) was on Y&R, someone tweeted him to say his picture was shown on GH one day (a soap he was on for several years). He replied making a joke along the lines that he could get a cheap burger with what he was paid for that usage.

Wonder why there has been absolute silence from those involved with Days........Ron C (headwriter), Greg Alarr (Exec producer), Ken Corday (owner)....not a word from cast, crew, no one. Corday usually loves to do interviews, but.....so far.......NADA! There has to be a lot of yakkity yak among them all, and especially the "suits". Guess all were warned to keep their lips zipped.

Yep, you'd think they all would have their PR pens in hand, raving about this move.....

Not even something from NBC about whatever is to replace Days in their lineup (which they said on Day 1 was to be a news show, but not a word since then, no confirming, rejecting......nothing!

You know, I know nothing at all about the legalities involved, & the laws in CA.........or the terms of the last renewal contract.........but.........

The contract was supposedly between NBC & Days, taking the show to Sept. 2023. So how does NBC get to cancel the show suddenly, and push it off onto another kind of platform? What about sponsors? Deals with the affiliates? Can Days sue? (yeah, I know, NBC has more money, lol) but would this not affect how other shows might view their deals with NBC, perhaps opting to go to a different network. In fact, could/would Days itself perhaps seek that option?

Just random, meandering thoughts since nothing is forthcoming so far.

I too am shocked by the silence from the usual suspects who'll crow the show's virtues...Corday, NBC press, Carlivati, etc...

I wonder if this move shocked Corday et al as much as the viewers?

I know a little something about syndicating soaps, thanks to my being a Dark Shadows fan as well as a Ryan's Hope aficionado from its time on SoapNet.

It's unlikely we'd get ALL the old episodes, but highly possible they could strip (what it's called when they release a package for syndication) a few years' worth of episodes. This is when they pay out the royalties, etc., to the music, actors, writers, etc. So while we may not be able to watch Julie pilfer that hot record, we might be able to catch the folks at Ballistixx as they discuss the acid-throwing incident, or relive the Dr Wu herb saga, or perhaps enjoy the antics of the Black Glove again.

It's likely they'd pick a package that was easy - same headwriter and a stable cast. (My speculation.) That is, if this is more than just hot air.

This was actually an issue back when Another World aired on SoapNet - it was just a small set of episodes (compared to a 30 year run).

In my opinion, that doesn't pass the sniff test! I do think Mr McKinsey believes that, but it doesn't ring true...there's no way they've stripped 14000 episodes - that would cost a fortune.

I'd be very interested to know how they'll track viewers and how they pay shows based on that data - because if Peacock supports 20 shows, including Days which would produce ~23 episodes per month, that 7 million from subscribers won't last long... ...just speculating... .

I pay $6.99/month for Hulu with commercials and $10 and change for non-HD Netflix (big difference if you pay for HD), and some other streaming services which is billed yearly, not monthly. I don't want to add $4.99 for Peacock to watch Days a day later. While it is supposed to drop at 8 pm EST each weekday, I shut my laptop off before then, it's been on all day, and watch network TV. If I decide to pay to see Days, maybe I would watch the episode from the day before on my lunch hour the next day. No matter how I slice it, will be a day behind. I might rely on recaps posted here if anyone will be able to do them, and possibly watch new episodes only on Mondays and Friday. Will that justify paying $4.99? No, so I would watch more shows on Peacock, and they do offer a good variety. A lot to consider.

As an aside:
  • Warner Bros. Discovery plans to merge its two main streaming services, HBO Max and Discovery Plus.
  • The combined service will launch sometime in the summer of 2023.
  • Some HBO Max content will be made available on Discovery Plus, and vice versa, before the full merge.
I hope this won't mean yet another bill. Currently, with HBO, you get HBO Max for no extra charge. I watch "Hacks" on HBO Max. I want to see the third season which will drop sometime in 2023.

All the mergers/takeovers, other corporate crapola, put us "little guy/99%ers" in a bad situation. There is little enough to enjoy these days, and the one thing I looked forward to was my Days midday break on a television set.

And limiting any show to only one format is very unfair and foolish. As Jason said how will they track viewers? Nielsen can't measure it on a computer.

Bad situation for all of us here and many others we know.

Wilde Woman, hopefully Days won't be on late like it is now. Peacock shows it in the evenings because
it's on NBC first. And Peacock needs to do a good job uploading the same time. Some evenings Days
wasn't put up until an hour or later than the scheduled time.

I'm sure they will drop the episodes each day, not a day late. The only reason to drop them the next day for streaming is to preserve the same-day viewing for ratings and advertising for over-the-air and cable viewing, but that's going away.

I have HBO Max and don't pay for it because you get it free with AT&T. I'm curious how all that will unfold. The whole idea of unbundling traditional TV was that it was getting so expensive and a lot of people who paid for cable were forced to take stuff they didn't want. For example, ESPN is one of the most expensive parts of the cable bundle, and if you're not a sports fan, the bulk of your bill was going for something you never watched. Now, we have so many different streaming options, it's adding up to the cost of old cable subscriptions. There's definitely room for consolidation.

I still like the current system better. I switched from HuluTV to YouTubeTV yesterday, and it was all done in 15 minutes and no visit from the cable guy. I switched because I use Verizon Wireless and get Hulu and other things for free with my wireless bill. It let me turn some other streaming subscriptions off as well to get the content that I want. And you can turn things on and off easily. It stinks that all of this requires more management than it used to, but I like having choices and I like streaming. For most shows, I don't mind watching on a computer, but you can also spend $20-40 and connect a streaming device to almost any TV.

This isn't surprising. Wonder if it'll be on the free tier or the paid tier?
In all fairness to all the Days fans who have been completely blindsided by this, I'm hoping that it will be on the free tier. I'm also hoping that it will air on PRIMETIME ON DEMAND on Spectrum, especially considering that not everyone can afford any more extra expenses.

Last edited:
Back