Days of Our Lives - Fri., Apr. 20, 2018

Thanks, Poirot.

I'm glad John told Paul he tried tracking Doc's phone, but it was turned off.
I thought he could tell where it was on last because we know Stefan sent the
text. Hopefully, John will put on his hero costume next week.

I think Marlena told Kate too much about Abigail/Gabby/Dr Laura. I know Vivian
mentioned Gabby and Marlena had to comment on it, but I think she broke
doctor patient confidentiality. But it's Salem.

Did Rafe get smart again? I know at one time he could figure things out. Today
he mentioned to Hope what if the woman was Abigail. Guess what he was right
after they saw the video.

I was surprised Chad saw the woman's face today. I thought they would save
that for Monday's show.

Honestly, I'm kind of at a loss for words after today's episode. I'm kind of in a weird place between feeling kind of outraged and I just don't get it. I mean, I know the show has done more violent and explicit scenes. I have vague memories of Kellam Chandler's attack on Marlena circa 1980-81, for example. But I think what really strikes me is the tone-deafness of this.

Headwriter Ron Cavalarti is a veteran of Daytime TV. I would think he would know the genre's audience. Yet he seems to think this is the kind of "relationship" we want to t see. I don't know, I just don't get it.

It's very similar to the storyline of Jessica (Nick Fallon's mother/daughter of Marie Horton) having her multiple personalities. As Angel, she met Jake Kositchek (Chris' brother, who was the Salem Strangler and eventually killed Samantha Evans). Jake and "Angel" went to Las Vegas to elope. Jessica broke free from Angel's grip and managed to call Alex (her dad) to come and get her, before Angel took over again. Alex and Marie managed to get there in time to stop wedding. Jessica was brought back to Salem where Marlena treated her and all was well again. She then dated and married Joshua Fallon.

Her other alter was Angelique (which was what Marie named Jessica at birth). As Angelique, she went to the convent to become a nun, although she was thrown out for her behavior.

Hope was grinning about Rafe again today, after he said he wouldn't sign the annulment papers and after he left the room. I'm starting to think maybe she knows she's going to take him back but she is going to let him suffer and squirm for a while first.

I was surprised when Chad left the police station and went to see Gabi again. I guess the only reason for that is so he'd be too late getting home to stop the awful scene in Stefan's bedroom.

Except for Gabby and Stefan together, I enjoyed the rest of the show. Yes, what a cliffhanger! Also, I loved Marlena's expression after Stefan slammed the door and left Vivian in there to rant and rave.

I enjoyed the structure of this show. The urgency was high and the stakes were there finally.

I like Rafe and Hope in cop mode. Hope had better mention her cousin Jessica and also Kimberly Brady when this all comes out. Yet I know Hope was "dead" when this happened to Kim but she should still know about it.

The ladies locked in the secret room that looks like the old Countess Wilhemina offices were funny.

I was genuinely surprised that Abigail emerged with Stefan. I wasn't expecting that. He raped her and there had better be repercussions. I'm not here for another rapemance.

Ironically, young teenage Hope was the first one to see Jessica as Angel. Hope had a crush on Jake. They did go out a few times, but he wasn't really into her. Hope happened to see Jake out with "Angel", making her jealous. So Hope did what any Salem teenager would do. She ran and tattled to her Aunt Marie.

Wow, today was awesome. I mean everyone knows about Abigail now. Even the great detectives Hope and Rafe figured it out! I can't believe they went to "Gabby" and Stefan having sex, or making love as "Gabby" and Stefan would say. Being a soap, the only reason I see this happening is for Abby to be pregnant. But ew ew ew please don't go there! Having sex was bad enough.

I wouldn't put it past Stefan to have recorded it so he can "prove" he didn't rape her. Stefan needs as much mental help as Abigail. Being in love with an alter is not a normal healthy person. She isn't real!! Ugh, I can't believe they went there but all the coming out was great. Monday should be great!!

I feel so sorry for Gabi. I hope she is out soon. Not being a Rafe/Hope fan, I hate how they are working together and giving hope that they will reconcile. Please no. They are not a great love. Just let it die.

Nobody seems to want this pairing, either, so I have no idea who decided to make this a main storyline on the soap.
They have their fans (though it befuddles me HOW since they're obviously not a rooting couple) in the dark, smelly corners of the internet.
It's very similar to the storyline of Jessica
I was too young to watch then, but from what I understand, Jake didn't know she wasn't really Angel, right? To me that is the biggest difference. (Actually that's a difference from Ron's version of this story on One Life to Live as well - a character fell in love with an alter, not realising she wasn't really a person.)

But still it's a bit different. I could maybe forgive he-who-shall-not-be-named if he'd fallen for the alter unwittingly/without knowing the real person, but he encouraged her mental illness because he's apparently never had a girlfriend in his life.

Meanwhile Jake and Jessica tried to go the real route, and from what I read, her dumping him turned him into the Necktie Killer Riverfront Knifer Salem Stalker Salem Strangler.

How crazy is it that we're comparing this character to a one-year character best remembered as a serial killer from the early 1980s? And how much crazier is it that Jake Kositchek has the moral high ground?

I'm hoping too that StefanNo is short-term and we're rid of him by August sweeps at the latest. I can't see how he gets more story after this mess. If he sticks around, I hope it's as a full-fledged bad guy and we're rid of him by November.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one drawing comparisons to 80s storylines. To be honest, most of my 80s Days trivia has been read or seen in clips/random episodes I've found over the years. I was a child in the 80s/90s, so I feel like I missed out on the best part of the show. I feel a little cheated. :cry: I wish they'd show re-runs or find that spirit the show had back in the day. I'm going to hang on until the very end, but I'm worried about the fallout that's going to come from this.

Back