Days of Our Lives - Thu., Sept. 22, 2016

JasonDíSpeech

Reaction score
At the Pub, replay of Aiden coming upon Hope. He wants to talk; he stops her when she tries to leave. There's a noise and the power goes out. Hope goes up to check on Caroline, wants Aiden to leave, he wants to stay. He smashes a glass. She comes down later and helps him tend to his hand and they talk about the power outage. He apologises for what he did before (stopping her), tells her he sent Chase to Portland. Flashes back to his plan to blackmail Hope, then tells Hope he's changed.

At the DiManse, replay of Adrienne asking Theo to watch Arianna and Thomas while she checks security, then of the power going out and Theo assuring the tykes things will be OK. Theo goes out to investigate with a flashlight while Thomas cries. He hears a noise, goes back into the study, locks the doors. Later, he's wondering where Adrienne is. Outside the doors, Lucas and Adrienne meet; Lucas has checked the breakers. They hear Thomas crying, but can't get in. They shout to Theo, who is panicking. Lucas and Adrienne worry about the door, the babies, and why Chad's not back yet. Theo flashes back to the beginning of the episode, seriously, then calms down and lets Adrienne and Lucas in. Arianna is just chilling looking at a tablet, Lucas sits down by her.

In the panic room, replay of the power outage and the door locking Gabi and Chad in. Gabi panics. Chad tells her to think of it like a sauna. Later, she is joking about nothing good happening when around the DiMeras, then starts babbling about how angry it made Chad...even though it didn't make him angry. They strip off a few layers, Chad talks about how he wants to make the DiMera name something to be proud of. They discuss Chad's culpability or lack thereof in the death of Abigail. Gabi loses track of time, thinks they should have been found by now. Gabi is glad that Lucas is with Arianna, she loves the way he looks at her, she thinks [Ari] reminds him of Will.

At the Johnson house, replay of the criminals looking over the sleeping Kayla. Orpheus wakes her up, Clyde grabs her from behind. Joey comes in and gets grabbed by Xander.

In the square, Rafe is trying to reach Hope, is talking on his cell to somebody, suspects the troublesome trio is behind the outage.

Down on the pier or whatever, Steve flashes back to seeing the disguised Orpheus and tries to make a call. A bit later, he arrives at home, looks in a drawer for something. Orpheus steps out, holding a gun. "Looking for this?" He taunts Steve, who wants to know where his family is. Clyde and Xander bring in the gagged Johnsons. Orpheus taunts Steve about having his son where Patch was 30 years ago, flashbacks to Steve and Kayla on Orpheus's boat. Clyde gets angry at Orpheus, wants the Johnsons killed because even the Salem PD will figure out what they did. Steve cracks jokes that he's dealing with Larry, Curly, and Moe, taunts Clyde about teaming up with Orpheus (who continues to try to control the other cons). Steve taunts Orpheus and gets a gun jammed at his neck.

Claire is in the private area, wandering and lamenting her lack of service. Someone grabs her from behind. It's JJ, who berates her and orders her back to the Horton House. The ruckus brings Rafe over, asks about Gabi (whom JJ can't reach). Rafe tells Claire to listen to JJ, bolts. JJ has service, gets a beep from Gabi about being stuck. He tells Claire she's coming with him.

Rafe arrives at the Pub, is angry that Aiden is there. Briefs Hope on the sabotage, Roman is working on the problem. Rafe accuses Aiden of conspiring with Clyde, following Hope. He doesn't believe Aiden, Hope calms him down. Aiden leaves, then goes outside and looks at the Stefano homicide file (which is really huge).

In the Dimansion study, Adrienne assures Theo that he did well, as he tries to apologise for panicking. He took care of the kids. JJ and Claire arrive, looking for Gabi. Lucas is shocked that Gabi's still here, he and JJ go to the panic room. Theo is shocked; JJ tells Adrienne to keep an eye on Claire, who 'can't be trusted.' Claire assures them she'll stay put. She starts talking to Theo, notices he's shocked. She asks him what's wrong. They go out into the study, he laments being scared, she says he did the right thing. It's not how he felts that matters, it's what he did. They hug.

Back in the panic room, Chad talks about high school with Gabi, remembering the lake, he strips down to his undies. They talk about the Valentino twins, and how an altercation with them led to Chad asking Gabi out. Chad says he was a jerk, Gabi says he was cool. They both thought they knew it all; then life happened...Grace happened. Thank God for Thomas, Chad says. There's pounding at the door, they're saved. Lucas and JJ enter as Gabi and Chad dress and Chad bolts to check on Thomas; JJ has a one-shot that might suggest he was jealous.

At the Johnson house, Steve continues to taunt Orpheus, the "lousy master criminal." He elbows Xander and rushes Orpheus. Kayla and Joey scream as two shots are fired. Later, Steve comes to, Orpheus planned to leave him to die, he was wearing a bullet proof vest. He frees Kayla, learns Joe was taken.

I'm a bit confused about this panic room. So it's purpose would be that if something bad is happening, like the bad guys are after you, you go to your panic room to be safe. Ok got that part, however, you're in there, there is a power failure, you can't get out because the magnetic lock is electric, but someone (the bad guys) on the outside can open it? Maybe that's why it's called the PANIC ROOM because I certainly would.

Agreed..........totally unnecessary. Actually, some clothing would be absorbing the moisture from perspiring, but I did not see much of that at all. Gabi's yellow top was so light weight, it definitely could have been left on.

That said, what kind of panic room is able to be opened so easily from the other side? I mean, that is NO protection from the bad guys if the door could be opened so easily from the other side.......or did I miss something. Did JJ have to have a code, or press a secret button or something??

Steve did a good job of taunting Orpheus........taking advantage of the fact that Xander & Clyde were getting tired of Orpheus dragging out the tormenting with his snide remarks. If you are going to kill them, do so. But that is not Orpheus's style, is it?

Kayla was sure whimpering and sobbing over Steve when she thought him done for, perhaps. Methinks she could be having 2nd thoughts now of keeping him at arm's length.

Claire is caught in a blackout, gets scared out of her wits when someone taps her on the shoulder, and yet superbrat was on full display. Loved JJ telling Adrienne to watch her, she can't be trusted. lol. And there was Claire, all ready to do her "me, me, me" act again, until she noticed that Theo was just not himself. Am glad she dropped the act and was there for him.

[Chad and Gabi] both thought they knew it all; then life happened...Grace happened.
Uh, Grace "happened" before Chad even showed up on screen. :)

I think it's unrealistic for Steve to have left his gun in a drawer after learning that those psychos were on the loose.

I agree 100%. When he realized that he had probably seen Orpheus, had no answer when he tried to call Kayla, (or Joey) he rushed home. And when he began rummaging thru that drawer????? I mean he had that gun with him in the hospital, sat up all night by Kayla's bedside, with it in his lap. And now, with this huge threat, he leaves it in a drawer???

That said, what kind of panic room is able to be opened so easily from the other side?
As viewers know, the DiMeras have never been big on investing in security. Because of Chad's self-admitted DiMera "traits," he probably paid for the installation of a cut-rate, badly-designed safe room. In any event, viewers were "treated" to "Crawlspace II" featuring a sweaty couple who've stripped down to their underwear.

A few other observations.
  • Bumbling Steve: Why didn't Steve rush home to Kayla as soon as he could, and why in the name of God did he leave his gun at home in an unlocked drawer?
  • Annoying Aiden: Why couldn't Rafe and Hope have simply said: "We've got no time for you, Jennings. We have crazed criminals to catch?"
  • Forgetful Chad: Why did Chad's trip down high-school memory lane omit that poor waif Mia whom he got pregnant, and wouldn't former classmate Gabi remember this?
Finally, why isn't the Pub having a festive Orpheus Gang night? Salemites could ride out the crisis while enjoying Brady burgers, chowder, and beer, while security is provided by members of the Salem P.D. who are on break or who have simply gotten bored with the whole catch-crazed-crooks thing and have decided to have a few cold ones.

Glad others had issues with the "panic" room. A panic room with out it's own source of ventilation. Or if it has one, it is on the same power grid as the rest of the house?? Okay, like that makes sense. Only in Salem.

As for DA PLOT. Really, how heavy was Gabi's yellow cami? Did removing it really cool her off?? The jacket I understand, but the cami??

Aiden, I'm sorry but you can go. Really, take off to Portland to care for your son Chase. I used to like you but former writers ruined you for now. Maybe in a bunch of years you can be SORAS'd to an older adult I can tolerate.

Thanks Jason, for the write up.

In re: a "panic" room. I always thought it was a room, disguised from the outside so intruders would not know it existed, but inside, fitted out to help those in hiding. Well ventilated, clothes, food, perhaps tools to defend oneself. insulated, sound proof, but most definitely with an easy way for the inhabitants to leave, should they so choose.

This room was smaller than a tiny bank vault. No cots, air, ventilating, battery powered anything, bottles of water.

A little too soon to try and emulate the furnace room crawl space scenes of Nicole & Eric, and having the couple be just friends.......nope. Did not work at all, from any angle or point of view.

Thanks for the summary.

A good episode all around, truly. And yes, the panic room and stripping was a bit silly but I like that Chad and Gabi are in a good place now and were reminiscing. I also hate myself for saying this, but they have chemistry. And I do like JJ and Gabi, as well as Chad and Abby, but my gosh.

I am also tired of Aiden. What did he add to today's show? Can't his story arc wait until after this criminal trio thing is wrapped up? I would rather we get to see more of Patch and Kayla--which was well-done today, by the way--than Aiden.

Are the writers making Claire annoying so as to get the audience to root more for Ciara? Jeez.

The panic room scenes were ridiculous. I didn't mind the conversation between Gabi and Chad but the stripping of clothes was stupid and only for JJ's benefit upon finding them so he could be overcome with jealousy. DUMB.

I felt bad for Theo today. He was obviously having a panic attack given the situation but it was nice to see him recall back to Adrienne asking him to watch Ari and Thomas to shake him back to reality and open the doors for Lucas and Adrienne. I understand they can only use babies for short periods of time but it was extremely obvious that Adrienne was feeding a bottle to a blanket today. LOL. Not to mention Thomas isn't too little anymore. He's nearly 10 months old.

So, is that why it seemed like it took Steve awhile to get back home, because he had to go get a bullet proof vest? How did he know he would get shot? I'm sorry, but I can't imagine Orpheus just leaving the scene without making sure Steve was dead but I guess they needed to make a hasty retreat since there's still more havoc to wreak on the good citizens of Salem.

Blah, blah, blah to the Hope/Aiden/Rafe scenes.

Same thoughts on the panic room. Also, that must have been really claustrophobic with all the cameras and crew. I agree that Gabi's lose fitting spaghetti strap tank top could have been left on. Plus they had ample water. Yesterday I was wondering why she was suddenly dressed up in a suit and now I get it.

Claire calling Cousin JJ an idiot? Surely this is not Belle and Shawn's real daughter. And would it have been so hard for Rafe to inform Grandma Hope about finding Claire in HTS? More continuity people!

I thought Theo's meltdown was appropriate and realistic. I also liked Lucas and Adrienne calming him afterwards and I liked Claire comforting him. Well done.

Tuned out Hope, Aiden and Rafe once he got to the Pub. More repetitive nonsense.

Today was the first time in a long time I enjoyed Steve and Kayla. And I'm glad they are finally addressing the Steve/Kayla/Orpheus backstory though it still has some holes. When did Steve allow John and Marlena to go free? Was that Stockholm because I thought he kidnapped her again after that?

Props to TPTB for pretty much carrying over the story from yesterday aside from Jen and Julie.

Thanks, Jason. It was a fast paced show to keep track of all the scenes.

I felt bad for Theo. For a small child, Ari seemed to enjoy being in the dark.

The panic room was just something to use for Chad and Gabi to undress to their undies.
I'm sure a panic room would be bigger because you might have to stay awhile. Chad implied
that the room wasn't done yet because some things didn't work. There were blankets and water.
Was there food?

I kept wondering how long it took JJ to go from the Horton Square to the DiMera mansion.
because by the time he got there Gabi and Chad were almost naked.

Steve was funny when he mentioned the Three Stooges. He also said the words to
the TV show "Cops" song to Xander.

Clyde had a funny line. He told Orpheus blowing up the power plant was like leaving a
calling card that they did it. Even the Salem PD would put two and two together
and figure it out

That said, what kind of panic room is able to be opened so easily from the other side?
A bad one. LOLOL

If that had been the case in the movie Panic Room, it would have been a very, very short film.
And there was Claire, all ready to do her "me, me, me" act again, until she noticed that Theo was just not himself. Am glad she dropped the act and was there for him.
I was glad to see the Claire I liked at the end of the show. I don't like the Claire who acts like Teen Ciara.
Tuned out Hope, Aiden and Rafe once he got to the Pub. More repetitive nonsense.
I would have loved to. I'm completely and totally over Rafe. I'd like him to go take care of Aunt Estrella and have Mami return.

Theo is wonderful. Meanwhile Gabi and Chad were unnecessary though I didn't hate their scenes. Fortunately all the blackout seems to be mostly centred in today's episode, so that's nice.

Okay, I actually kind of liked the panic room scenes but then you spoilsports had to go and introduce logic into it. LOL

Seriously, I agree the Striptease was as ridiculous as it was unnecessary. Especially with Chad nearly going The Full Monty. I could probably throw in a Showgirls reference just to hit the full trifecta of '90s flicks that dealt with the removal of one's apparel as a subject but it escapes me at the moment. Besides such a reference might be overkill so it's probably just as well.

Enough of the tomfoolery what I liked about those scenes was interaction between Chad and Gabi. Even though I remain a die hard Gabi and JJ fan, I do like the friendship I see regrowing between them. And with today's scenes I am more convinced that is all it will be. Their state of undress was merely to spark jealousy in JJ when the fact that Gabi and Chad were trapped together was sufficient enough to accomplish that.

I got a kick out of Theo reassuring Arianna that everything was going to be all right when the lights went on when the look on her face was more "Oh this is cool, anybody else up for some s'mores and scary stories?" than actual fear. LOL

Steve and the Unholy Three: I happen to like this story but the lack of a real unified plan on the part our escapees make their continued freedom hard to buy because realistically the way they are acting these guys would either have either split up or been caught by now. Get it together you goons!!

Last edited:
I'm not over Rafe but I am over Rafe and Hope as a couple because it's dumbing down each character individually. I don't enjoy jealous Rafe and I don't enjoy neglectful mother/grandmother/cousin/sister/daughter/sister-stepdaughter Hope. Let's find them new professional partners and new personal partners as well. Down the line, they can work together again.

Arianna was using an iPad the entire time so I think she was preoccupied with whatever she was watching or playing.

Back