Days of Our Lives - Wed. Jan. 6, 2016

I think that Marlena's reaction was, although kind of ugly, also natural. Weren't she and Roman told that even with the drugs, his chances could still be very slim? She's worried about her son, and while she should be (and I'm sure is) worried about Brady too, she isn't thinking clearly.

Kayla remained, sadly, very professional and compassionate throughout. All three men were her friends. Daniel was a close colleague, Brady and Eric nephews, as both were children of her birth brother, Roman, and her assumed brother, Roman, who turned out to be John.

When Chad was holding Thomas and snapping out of the trance I was hearing Huey Lewis and The News "The Power of Love" from the Back to the Future soundtrack in my head. I thought that was a bit heavy on the cheese; I believe I detected the slight taste of either mozzarella or Monterrey Jack I'm not sure which. But on the flip side we have come to the end of that "Chadbot 2000" nonsense so I am A-Okay with how it was done. :wink:

Today I finally felt the full effect of Nicole's grief wash over me. I'm not sure why but I hadn't been really feeling it over the last couple of days. Maybe it's because I've never really been all that invested in the character of Daniel very much or in Nicole and Daniel as a couple at all so I was subconsciously resisting it. But wow did I feel it today. Poor Nicole !! :cry:

I was glad to see that apparently Paul was able to tear himself away from the Model party and get to the hospital after the transplant was over. :rolleyes:

And of course I enjoyed the two brief scenes with Rafe and My Gabi. :love::love: Someone mentioned her just referring to her "friend's mom" being in an accident and thinking that was odd. I did too at first then I just figured that she probably wanted to avoid having Rafe go into "Dad mode" and ask a bunch of questions about what's going on with her and JJ. Another thing I thought was odd was that they both said they hadn't spoken to each other for a while, I thought they were living together. :confused:

Aw well it was just nice to see her and my dream for 2016 is to see her stop just kind of floating the way she has been and get some real story. I know this isn't the first time I've said this but some dreams are eternal.

Last edited:
Thanks for the summary.

I found it off that Gabi didn't tell Rafe exactly what happened either. It would've been perfect to snap Hope out of her own derangement, not unlike Chad's in how annoying and pointless it has become. Moreover, why hadn't anyone else contacted the two of them? Rafe and Daniel were friends (though they haven't interacted in several months) and he should be there to comfort Nicole, his other friend, whom he also hasn't interacted with in months. And Hope is a family member of Jennifer, Brady and Eric and a friend of Daniel's.

Glad Chad snapped out of it. Looking forward to him confronting his family. But I also think he should've gone with Abigail to comfort her.

I will be ticked off if Arianne Zucker (Nicole) doesn't win an award this year. Her acting has been phenomenal. So is everyone else's, but hers was especially emotional. I also thought Marlena was acting odd.

Poor Nicole :cry: The actress is doing a wonderful job... I saw a tear in Daniel's eye too.

I thought it was interesting when Nicole talked to god she mentioned all the things
we've seen on message boards about how the writers "do her wrong". I hope the love
she has for Daniel will give her strength to go on.

Sad to see Jennifer tell Abby about Daniel.

Maggie told Victor Melanie still loved Brady. Theresa was listening.

It wasn't until today I realized this story is actually about John and Marlena's love. Will it
survive after what has happened? Both of their sons in the accident and both of
them needed a heart. I'm glad Belle, Philip and finally Paul came to the hospital.

Brady got Daniel's heart... I wonder if they will use the rest of Daniel's organs to help others.

I hope Rafe puts Hope in jail or has someone watch her. She's going the down the wrong
path very fast.

I'm glad Chad is better. I hope we never have to see those brainwashing scenes again.

Nice to see Harold today.

Oh my gosh....Ari Zucker (Nicole) about killed me today. :cry: When she was talking to God asking why He was punishing her and talking about her dead babies...I lost it. My son was like, "why are you crying, mommy?" Sheesh......my only hope is that this is some sort of anvil that Nicole will eventually find out she is pregnant and carries to term finally having a child. But I'm not holding my breath. What do I know, it might just be a nice nod to history, horrible as that history was. Ugh....

I was glad to see Belle, Philip, Paul, etc there during Brady's surgery. However, I thought it was poor on the script writing and directing/producing to show the clock at a little after 1am and then 3am and 4am...ok, sure, the surgery would take time and it's still the same night/very early morning. However, about 4 episodes ago Abigail interrupted Chad/Belle when it was clearly after midnight, he even said something about her coming there at 1am, and not to mention the time passed having Maggie wring her hands about this decision. So was all this to have happened concurrently? It's just weird. I wonder if we'll see a new Salem day tomorrow.

While I'm glad that Chad seems to be out of his trance, I sort of wish this plot point had waited until after the stuff with Daniel/Brady/Eric so as to give it more emphasis. This should have been a big moment in the Chad/Abigail story but seemed lost in this episode.

I think either the script writer or the actress screwed up because when Jennifer was filling Abby in about Daniel being gone and Brady getting his heart, etc. Abby asked if JJ knew about Daniel and Jennifer said no. I thought he was the one who told her about what happened and what was going on after overhearing Kayla talk to Maggie, et al about everything. This seemed like very poor continuity.

I thought Gabi told Rafe that JJ's mom got into a car accident. Did she say a friend's mom? I mean, he didn't seem too concerned and sure he should have told Hope when he saw her but I thought he knew that it was Jennifer. He just didn't know about all the other stuff.

Kayla HAs talked of rejection of the heart, adjusting Brady's meds if so, etc.

Transplants are automatically rejected in the absence of immune suppressants. The body's immune system won't recognize them as native. It's not a matter of "if," the drugs have to be continued without stop for the lifetime of the patient. Some transplants "take" better and require lighter doses and can be reduced over time but stopping the medication at any point, according to the literature, will always result in rejection of the organ.

But, again, this is Salem, where pigs fly and instant emergency heart surgery not only leaves no scar but has no other consequences either.

Yes, that is why it has bugged me no end about Stefano, who has a liver, a kidney from others, is diabetic, yet drinks, smokes, and nary a word about any other kind of meds besides insulin.

Kayla did indicate that Brady was already on the anti-rejection meds, I just hope that continues.
Gabi only said to Rafe her friend's mom was in an accident. Am guessing she did not want questions about JJ......however, as a detective, who had just been at work, would he not have heard about it?

Heck, sirens, cops, ambulances, etc....were not all that far from that square. In the past, everyone seemed to live in walking distance.

It was odd that Rafe did not know.

And then, if Caroline is living with victor & Maggie, how come she did not know, or was not there. Eric is her grandson.

Something I think we all need to keep in mind is that the accident happened late at night (probably after midnight). This would explain Caroline not knowing because she was probably asleep. AND, the folks who were called were immediate family. They all rushed right to the hospital; they are in shock and probably people like Hope, Gabi, Rafe, etc were not among those called and told about the accident.

SO, they will get the news the next morning (that's probably today), but it's still late at night in Salem and they've been sitting and waiting for the decision about who gets the heart and the procedure to take place. Emotionally painful hours have passed.

This has been some dramatic scenario and I can only imagine how difficult it was for Maggie, Nicole, Kayla and everyone else, and then there's Abby & Chad & Thomas to think about.

I still can't really feel Nicole's loss over Daniel - but when she talked about her babies... that was too much. But Ari Z did a fantabulous job as always. This needs to be her Emmy® year.

The show had me so entranced, I forgot to eat my lunch. It was OK cold still, though. LOL

Nice to see the families at the hospital. But I hate how Marlena and John keep saying my son/your son.

Speaking of John...as lame-brained as his suggestion was, I think he did a fantastic job portraying the feelings of a worried/grieving father.

Billy Flynn needs to win Outstanding Younger Actor (or whatever the appropriate category is) for his work as Chad last year. Today was another great day for him, the scene when he broke out of the trance had me feeling the Chad/Abby love again in a second..

Hope felt out of place in this episode. We need more Gabi/Rafe scenes, and I definitely want to see Lucas continuing his relationship with Arianna.

Didn't like the Maggie scenes today. I would have given it a pass if she'd mentioned Sarah or Melissa, calling them, wishing they could be here. Instead it's all about Daniel.

The one bright spot...I hope...is that Daniel will be as forgotten in two weeks as Aiden, Serena, Paige, and Will.

And then, if Caroline is living with victor & Maggie, how come she did not know, or was not there. Eric is her grandson.
:eek: Good grief, I forgot about Caroline. I'm was trying to focus on who is related to who, who was driving what and in the car with who (3 cars 4 victims) lol.

As a footnote, because I just finally watched this episode online. I agree that the actors all did an amazing job and deserve every bit of credit. But I have to admit to getting a little tired of the multiple repeated emotional goodbyes to Daniel. He's been on the show, what, about eight years? He turned out to be Maggie's egg baby and Victor's godson and Melanie's dad and somehow recently turned into the love of Nicole's life.

But enough is enough. Seems to me that Bo Brady, who's been on the show since long before I started watching (in 1987), is related to almost everybody in Salem, and had a fan base as long as my arm got nothing like this. And we haven't even seen Daniel's funeral yet. I don't know. I thought it was overkill.

Didn't like the Maggie scenes today. I would have given it a pass if she'd mentioned Sarah or Melissa, calling them, wishing they could be here. Instead it's all about Daniel.
With all that Maggie is going through, I think that's the way it should be right now. Unless they bonded off screen, Maggie's daughters didn't even know their brother.

But I have to admit to getting a little tired of the multiple repeated emotional goodbyes to Daniel. He's been on the show, what, about eight years? He turned out to be Maggie's egg baby and Victor's godson and Melanie's dad and somehow recently turned into the love of Nicole's life.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm just not buying Nicole's grief either over Daniel. I fast forwarded all of her scenes as well as Jeannie T's again. I want to see real couples. I did think it was very appropriate and actually most believable that Jennifer and her kids grieved Daniel. Those scenes were well done. I agree that there was a continuity issue with JJ as he earlier had told Jen about Daniel. Poor editing strikes again!

I think there was a Belle scene cut as we had seen a photo of her with Brady in his pre-surgery room. We never saw that scene. However, I was VERY pleasantly surprised to see her with Eric!!! And I'm loving that she is equally worried about both her brothers. This is the real Belle.

Beyond annoyed with Marlena's behavior. She should be equally worried about Eric and Brady. Maybe she needs to take notes from Belle.

The whole passage of time thing was very odd and confusing. Plus no open heart surgery is that quick. It would take at least 4 hours.

I'm hoping that Jennifer's flub about JJ/Daniel is a key to something bigger. After an accident like that (even though she's apparently being discharged after only a few hours), she would be on something for pain. And those can make folks kinda...loopy.

I thought the clock showed around 1 a.m. while people were waiting, and then it was after 4 a.m. I think that while WE figure lots of time has gone by, in Salem, it hasn't. And then, we are seeing scenes that supposedly are occuring at the same time, although to us, it seems "long, long night......or day"

I may be wrong but I thought Belle and Brady sort of grew up together. And they are both John's children. Whereas Eric was off in Colorado most of time Belle was growing up and they don't share a parent. Not that Belle shouldn't be concerned about Eric. I just don't remember them having any kind of close relationship. With Sami, on the other hand, there was a relationship of sorts from the very beginning but it was complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing was....John & Marlena got married, with these little kids standing up to their wedding. They went on a 2 week honeymoon, and when they returned, all had been SORAS'd into their teens, Brady with a chip on his shoulder because Marlena did not have a pic of Isabella on the piano.
But after that was resolved, it did show Belle & Brady having a close relationship of sorts. He was very protective of her, I think he called her "tink". (This is when Kyle Lowder was portraying Brady). Philip, Shawn D. had been aged, Chloe appeared, as did Mimi, the Last Blast teen group. Brady was older, tho, and in college.
The years go by, Brady married Chloe, left Salem. Belle married Philip, divorced eventually, and married Shawn, eventually leaving Salem as well, doing the round the world high sea cruising and living. So......the relationship was no longer as close any more between Brady & Belle.

Back