Days of Our Lives - Wed., May 10, 2017

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Days of Our Lives
Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Deimos is on the phone with Xander, who wants to know when the heck Deimos is going to come "rescue" Nicole, complaining about her all the while. Deimos is warning him not to touch Nicole, that Sonny is on his case, delaying him for a bit. Xander wants Deimos there NOW, and hangs up on Deimos. Maggie has come in, comments his phone call did not go well, was it about Nicole & Holly. Deimos denies, claims just business, that he has to take care of that call, will be going out of town to do so. Don't tell Uncle Vic, get him upset, I will take care of it.

Marlena is trying unsuccessfully to get hold of John, Brady is doing worse, his body still rejecting the heart. She learns the Director is in Chicago, so is going to get her to come there to Salem, it is important.

Sonny & Paul are juggling a few things, a birthday gift for a kid for Gabi, some party in the park. (Glad the weather in Salem is so warm, despite the real life chilly temps elsewhere in the midwest, lol). They are keeping an eye on Deimos, trying to find John, are in contact with Steve. Eventually, they learn that Deimos chartered a private jet, at an airfield an hour from there, flight plan filed for Athens.

Meanwhile, Eric is on a plane, talking to a pilot who is getting ready to land in Greece. Eric tells him to get the plane refueled and ready to take off on short notice. In Xander's villa, he has let Nicole out of the cage, she comes into the room, has had a shower and change of clothes, cage is gone. He says she will be free as long as she doesn't behave like a wild animal. No, she cannot see Holly, who is sleeping, and she will be fed and diaper changed by nanny when she awakes. Nicole is upset, but calms down in order to not annoy Xander. She suggests a poker game, 3 hands out of 5. She gets to see Holly if she wins, and if not, she won't be in Xander's face any more. She wins.

But then they get into a discussion about Deimos, Uncle Vic, Titan, and Xander gets his eyes opened as to what Deimos has been doing. Uncle Vic lets him run Titan, Deimos causing Nicole to lose her custody case when he bribed the judge and opposing counsel learned of it. Deimos is taking it all in, Nicole talks of how Vic forgave Deimos and would probably forgive Xander as well. She can talk to Brady. Xander finally tells her to just shut up. He leaves to go to town, warning her that guards are at all the doors, so don't try and leave.

Abe has met up with Valerie, apparently for a breakfast date, while in the club, Eli has met with Gabi. She has a surprise, won't tell him, in walks Abe & Valerie. Uh, oh. Eli says not a surprise, a setup, is upset. Abe & Gabi admit this was their idea, and both leave, so mother & son can do some talking. They do, it is awkward at first, but eventually Valerie gets to tell Eli exactly why she was not with his father after becoming pregnant, the kind of man he was, and why she never told him the truth. Eli takes it all in, needs more time to digest it, cannot forgive her just yet. He leaves.

Gabi is waiting in the square, Eli arrives, she jumps up, starts telling him about being little, dad leaving, mom devastated, then eventually going to Mexico to care for their aunt, and never returning. She, her brothers, with no one. She has also talked of her dad now in jail, and after not seeing him in years, won't see him again. Eli stops her with a kiss, says that was for caring enough about me to want to help, no matter what.

Marlena is at the hospital, learns from Valerie that Brady is deteriorating so much, she put him on the list for another heart. Marlena is distraught.

Sonny & Paul decide that they are going to follow Deimos to Greece, mentioning the e-mails they had intercepted.

Nicole is pacing around the villa, talking aloud to herself, vowing to escape, getting Holly, etc. She evidently formulates a plan, pours a glass of water, opens the door, the guard's back is to her. She sweetly say something about bringing him some refreshment, he turns, she drops the glass in shock. Eric!

LOL, There is a French door on one side, and a big sturdy oak door on the other side. Am guessing the French door came from DiMera's, the Oak door is in the corner, sort of up next to a wall, odd place. But sort of looks like DiMera's door. However, the room, without the cage looks different now. Did not pay close attention, but they had to sit on a sofa to play poker. Ha.

Just a few comments about characters today.

Eli: Apparently, Dr. Grant never taught Eli not to waste food. He walked away from a whole table of tasty-looking breakfast entrees today.

Xander: He really needs better security if it can be penetrated so easily by a rank amateur like the Salem Sourpuss. Did he hire these guys from the same outfit that was protecting the DiMansion from Ben?

Marlena: She said that she was "fed up" with the ISA. She really can't be the only one. After all, many of its investigations flop, they've hired the likes of bumbling Billie Reed, and its ranks are riddled with DiMera spies.

Deimos: He actually said that he was "living proof" that people can change. Even that great believer in personal improvement, Sami "EJ Has Changed" Brady, would be gagging over this one.

Valerie and Eli: A friend of mine on Facebook posted a video of her three-year old son having a little snit and snapping "No" to anything said to him. It comes with the caption: "He's mad just because he's mad." The reason why I'm bringing this up is because these scenes reminded me of that video is because at this point Eli is kind of acting like that three-year old. He's mad just to be mad. Was he right to be upset when he first found out about David? Yes. Was it unfair of Valerie to unilaterally make the decision that father and son should not about each other? Yeah I think so.

But on the other hand, I also find it telling that it doesn't seem like Julie has done much to dispute Valerie's assessment of David's parenting skills or his lack thereof. You're a thirty-something year old FBI agent Eli, I think it's time to start building that bridge so you can over it buddy.

On the bright side I liked the fact we see Eli start to soften, That as Valerie told Abe they made some progress. I like Eli. I like Valerie. I think these characters have the potential to contribute to the show. But this story is centered around a character, David,that has been off the canvas for over thirty years, so it just feels inert there's really nowhere for it to go. So I say, let's have that mother and child reunion and move these two on to bigger and better things.

I have a small nitpick: Sonny bought a gift for Arianna to take to a birthday party. But Gabi apparently had already dropped Ari off at the party in the park. So Sonny could give Gabi the gift to take to the party she had had already dropped Ari off at. This was all so Gabi could exit the scene long enough for Paul, Sonny and El to have a "confidential" conversation in the middle of a public place *sighs and rolls eyes* just so Gabi could then interrupt and inquire "What's Deimos done now?" That all seemed like a clunky and contrived way to get to that point. When Gabi could have just easily come up on them at random.

Like I said it was small thing but it still bugged me nonetheless,

Last edited:
Goodness, not many comments so far.

I haven't recognized much in the Greek house. I've been wondering where
the bookcase came from.

Does Deimos have more than one phone? Xander keeps calling him.

I don't know if Nicole was lying to Xander, but I kept thinking maybe she
can turn things around. Especially when she mentioned Deimos all
the time and Xander wasn't happy.

Eric got lucky he got dropped off on the correct island.

Xander needs to keep an eye on his security team. The one outside
the french doors was looking at his phone.

What's going to happen to Brady since his body is rejecting Daniel's heart?

We found out today Gabi can cook. Not many women in Salem do

Actually katmouse this isn't the first time Gabi cooking has been mentioned. She made some churrios for E.J. as a thank you for helping cover-up Nick's mid-November dip in the river. When she was saying her good-byes to Arianna when she was headed to the Big House she said she wouldn't be able to teach her how to "make Christmas tamales." What the difference is between a tamale prepared at any time of the year and one prepared at Christmas is I have no idea. But I'm sure the explanation will be fascinating. :)

I think it's too soon for Valerie and Eli to be sharing scenes alone, let alone such long scenes. Violation of the Marland rules.

I don't mind Eli and Gabi but I prefer JJ/Gabi and Lani/Eli. And none of it works with Gabi still pushed into Chad's orbit. She has completely lost direction.

Meanwhile, Marlena's scenes with the ISA Director were cut. These day players and recurring actors we've seen recently have had more airtime and storyline than Marlena.

I got goose bumps from Eric and Nicole at the end.

She has completely lost direction.
Well, she is on Days of Our Lives LOL.
I think it's too soon for Valerie and Eli to be sharing scenes alone, let alone such long scenes. Violation of the Marland rules.
I agree but it's not really a violation because Valerie was an established character. But it kinda is because probably 90% of viewers don't know who she is. Hmm, I think a séance is in order to ask Mr Marland.
Has anyone informed Valerie how important that is?
:rotfl::rotfl:

Just in case anyone doesn't understand the reference to the "Marland Rules", I'm reposting Poirot's reply to a post on December 2, 2015. Days seems to violate all of them.

Found this, and thought it would nice to post this again. Being Mr. Marland died in 1993, things have changed a great deal in the past 20 plus years...., budgets have been slashed, only 4 soaps remain, but the rules seem to still apply..............

How to NOT Wreck a Soap Opera

"10 Rules on How Not to Wreck a Soap Opera" by Douglas Marland
Douglas Marland was a soap opera writer for several American daytime soaps, who passed away in 1993. He left behind this instruction guide for producers on how not to wreck a show.

Quote:
How Not To Wreck A Show

* Watch the show.

* Learn the history of the show. You would be surprised at the ideas that you can get from the back story of your characters.

* Read the fan mail. The very characters that are not thrilling to you may be the audience's favorites.

* Be objective. When I wrote As the World Turns the first thing I said was, what is pleasing the audience? You have to put your own personal likes and dislikes aside and develop the characters that the audience wants to see.

* Talk to everyone; writers and actors especially. There may be something in a character's history that will work beautifully for you, and who would know better than the actor who has been playing the role?

* Don't change a core character. You can certainly give them edges they didn't have before, or give them a logical reason to change their behavior. But when the audience says, "He would never do that," then you have failed.

* Build new characters slowly. Everyone knows that it takes six months to a year for an audience to care about a new character. Tie them in to existing characters. Don't shove them down the viewers' throats.

* If you feel staff changes are in order, look within the organization first. P&G [Procter & Gamble] does a lot of promoting from within. Almost all of our producers worked their way up from staff positions, and that means they know the show.

* Don't fire anyone for six months. I feel very deeply that you should look at the show's canvas before you do anything.

* Good soap opera is good storytelling. It's very simple.

Just curious as to how we know Marlena HAD scenes with the ISA Director, and that they were cut?

I just now got to watch this episode. I was hoping Xander might come around but I'm not surprised he didn't. I really, really can't stand this character but I like redemption stories so if he could ever be softened and redeemed, I think I could come to like him. It would be fun to see him and Nicole work together to take down Deimos. I wish Maggie and Victor could see through Deimos and his double-crossing ways.

I forget where is was, maybe someone else remembers, but it showed the ISA woman that Marlena talked to, hence how we know that there were scenes of it and that they were not shown.

Back