Daytime Emmy nominations tomorrow; awards to air on CBS primetime June 26

Jason47

Reaction score
NEW YORK (May 20, 2020) — The 47th Annual Daytime Emmy® Awards will be presented in a two-hour special on Friday, June 26 (8:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, CBS and the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS) today announced. This will mark the 14th time CBS has broadcast the Daytime Emmys®, more than any other network.

“The Daytime Emmys are coming home,” said Adam Sharp, President & CEO of NATAS. “For generations, daytime television has been a source of comfort and continuity that’s never been more important. We’re delighted to join with CBS in celebrating the programs and professionals who never cease to brighten our days.”

“As a leader in Daytime, we are thrilled to welcome back the Daytime Emmy Awards,” said Jack Sussman, Executive Vice President, Specials, Music and Live Events for CBS. “Daytime television has been keeping viewers engaged and entertained for many years, so it is with great pride that we look forward to celebrating the best of the genre here on CBS.”

The Daytime Emmy® Awards have recognized outstanding achievement in daytime television programming since 1974. The awards are presented to individuals and programs broadcast between 2:00 am and 6:00 pm, as well as certain categories of digital and syndicated programming of similar content.

This year’s awards honor content from more than 2,700 submissions that originally premiered in calendar-year 2019, judged by a pool of 1,000 peer professionals from across the television industry. Nominees in the competition’s 100 categories will be announced tomorrow, May 21, on the CBS Daytime program “The Talk” and ETOnline.com, followed by wide release to other interested outlets.

The June 26 telecast will be produced by the National Academy and Associated Television International (ATI), which previously produced the Daytime Emmy® Awards on The CW in 2009 and CBS’ most recent broadcasts in 2010 and 2011.

“In these challenging times, daytime has been a primary influence in staying connected with its audience, entertaining them, and keeping them informed,” said 47th Annual Daytime Emmys® executive producer and director David McKenzie of Associated Television International. “We are honored to be a part of it. We are also excited for the challenge of introducing a new format that will celebrate the contributions of daytime television.”

Awards will be presented in leading categories during the telecast, with recipients and other special guests appearing from home in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Additional categories will be announced simultaneously on Twitter (@DaytimeEmmys), and others will be presented in a separate ceremony in July

I am guessing that since the networks have no real new programming, that is why they were willing to show this during prime time. In years past, there wasn't a big enough audience or interest to waste giving up a prime time slot. It is going to turn out that Days was the hero in having so many programs already recorded. I wonder if other shows will start doing this?

For Days, it has been a cost savings measure inasmuch as NBC greatly lowered what they have paid in the past. Sometimes I feel Days should just have the actors stand on a stage, each with their own mike, do their dialogue (like in radio), no sets, no music, no hair & makeup, no dolls in a blanket, kids, etc. Cast have all taken pay cuts, thus it is difficult to attract new actors. Young people want to stretch their wings, especially since they feel they can make more in less time in some B or C movie. Sorry.....bad mood, I guess.

It is going to turn out that Days was the hero in having so many programs already recorded.
So far, the ratings aren't reflecting it. And if the story stays this bad, as soon as new shows air from the other soaps, the bubble will burst.

I'm glad the Daytime Emmys® are back on TV. I just wish it weren't during a complete collapse of the industry/ies.

Do agree about Days not having anything intriguing or interesting for newer viewers from other shows to want to continue to see. The repetitious dialogue, the stupid actions of some cast members....the ridiculous wardrobes of the characters.....Those long time viewers of Days were drawn by something they happened to see one day. And those kinds of scenes don't seem to be happening any more.

Hardcore soap fans will watch 20 games without a pass in the hopes that the 21st will have a big touchdown.

(Sorry, not a sports guy, perhaps there's a better analogy.)

I found this:
Outstanding Drama nominees
The Bold and the Beautiful
Days of our Lives
General Hospital
The Young and the Restless

Outstanding Drama Writing Team nominees
Days of our Lives
General Hospital

Outstanding Drama Directing Team nominees
Days of our Lives
General Hospital

Outstanding Lead Actor nominees
The Bold and the Beautiful’s Thorsten Kaye (Ridge)
Days of our Lives’ Thaao Penghlis (Tony)
General Hospital’s Steve Burton (Jason) and Jon Lindstrom (Kevin/Ryan)
The Young and the Restless’ Jason Thompson (Billy)

Outstanding Lead Actress nominees
The Bold and the Beautiful’s Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke) and Heather Tom (Katie)
Days of our Lives’ Arianna Zucker (Nicole)
General Hospital’s Finola Hughes (Anna) and Maura West (Ava)

Outstanding Supporting Actor nominees
Days of our Lives’ Wally Kurth (Justin), Chandler Massey (Will) and Paul Telfer (Xander)
General Hospital’s James Patrick Stuart (Valentin)
The Young and the Restless’ MarkGrossman (Adam) and Bryton James (Devon)

Outstanding Supporting Actress nominees
The Bold and the Beautiful’s Annika Noelle (Hope)
Days of our Lives’ Susan Seaforth Hayes (Julie)
General Hospital’s Tamara Braun (Kim) and Rebecca Budig (Hayden)
The Young and the Restless’ Christel Khalil (Lily)

Outstanding Younger Performer nominees
Days of our Lives’ Olivia Rose Keegan (Claire) and Thia Megia (Haley)
General Hospital’s Kateyln MacMullen (Sasha) and Eden McCoy (Joss)
The Young and the Restless’ Sasha Calle (Lola)

Outstanding Guest Performer nominees
Days of our Lives’ Chrishell Stause (Jordan Ridgeway)
General Hospital’s Michael Knight (Martin)
The Young and the Restless’ Elissa Kapneck (Sasha), Eva LaRue (Celeste) and Jeffrey Vincent Parise (Simon Black)

Are they kidding? Tony as lead actor? What was he on - maybe three times?

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE "DAYS OF OUR LIVES" CAST & CREW'S 22 DAYTIME EMMY NOMINATIONS!

97958676_1779232825552317_4101060281478676480_o.jpg

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES

Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Arianne Zucker as Nicole Walker
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Thaao Penghlis as Tony DiMera
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Susan Seaforth Hayes as Julie Williams
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Wally Kurth as Justin Kiriakis
Days of Our Lives NBC

Chandler Massey as Will Horton
Days of Our Lives NBC

Paul Telfer as Xander Kiriakis
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING YOUNG PERFORMER IN A DRAMA SERIES
Olivia Rose Keegan as Claire Brady
Days of Our Lives NBC

Thia Megia as Haley Chen
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING GUEST PERFORMER IN A DRAMA SERIES
Chrishell Stause as Jordan Ridgeway
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING WRITING TEAM FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING TEAM FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING MUSIC DIRECTION AND COMPOSITION FOR A DRAMA OR DIGITAL DRAMA SERIES
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING CASTING FOR A DRAMA OR DIGITAL DRAMA SERIES
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DIRECTION FOR A DRAMA OR DIGITAL DRAMA SERIES
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING TECHNICAL TEAM FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING MULTIPLE CAMERA EDITING FOR A DRAMA OR DIGITAL DRAMA SERIES
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING LIVE AND DIRECT TO TAPE SOUND MIXING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING ART DIRECTION/SET DECORATION/SCENIC DESIGN FOR A DRAMA OR DIGITAL DRAMA SERIES
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING HAIRSTYLING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING MAKEUP FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Days of Our Lives NBC

OUTSTANDING DAYTIME PROMOTIONAL ANNOUNCEMENT -TOPICAL
Days of Our Lives
“Flash Forward” NBC

Lead Actor nominee Thaao Penghlis (Tony) has been nominated for his 3rd Daytime Emmy. His first two nominations were for Lead Actor in 2008 and Guest Performer in 2019.

Lead Actress nominee Arianne Zucker (Nicole) has been nominated for her 4th Daytime Emmy. Her first three nominations were for Supporting Actress in 2010 and 2013 and Lead Actress in 2014.

Supporting Actor nominee Wally Kurth (Justin) has been nominated for his 3rd Daytime Emmy, and his first for his role on "Days of Our Lives." His first two nominations were for Original Song (Barefoot Ballet for GH, 2002, in which he won) and Supporting Actor in 2018 (for GH).

Supporting Actor nominee Chandler Massey (Will) has been nominated for his 6th Daytime Emmy. He won 3 Daytime Emmys for Younger Actor in 2012, 2013 and 2014. He was nominated for Younger Actor in 2011 and Supporting Actor in 2018.

Supporting Actor nominee Paul Telfer (Xander) has been nominated for his 1st Daytime Emmy.

Supporting Actress nominee Susan Seaforth Hayes (Julie) has been nominated for her 6th Daytime Emmy. She was previously nominated for Lead Actress in 1975, 1976, 1978 and 1979, and Supporting Actress in 2018.

Young Performer nominee Olivia Rose Keegan (Claire) has been nominated for her 3rd Daytime Emmy. She was previously nominated for Younger Actress in 2018 and 2019.

Young Performer nominee Thia Megia (Haley) has been nominated for her 1st Daytime Emmy.

Guest Perfomer nominee Chrishell Stause (Jordan) has been nominated for her 1st Daytime Emmy.

Thanks, Lisa and Jason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy that Paul Telfer/Xander received a nod. Curious as why Thaao Penghlis/Tony received a nod for actor but I enjoy him when he is on so okay..

Congrats to all of the Days actors who received nominations.

Sad that Days might receive awards as the stories are muddled and draggy. This will convince TIIC (the idiots in charge) to keep the stories as is.

Would not exactly call Tony a lead character, or actor for last year, but with just 4 soaps, and Ron's style of writing......guess it depends of who submitted what. With just 4 soaps, makes it difficult, as one can see inasmuch as the behind the scene teams from all 4 soaps were nominated in the categories.....writing, directing, sets, etc,. etc. I thought Claire did great job last year...Nicole always delivers, and yes, am very happy Xander got nominated. (using character names as not all viewers know names of actors who portray the characters. )

Would not exactly call Tony a lead character, or actor for last year, but with just 4 soaps, and Ron's style of writing
I was about to say the same thing. He's usually a supporting role. Then again in all of 2019, he might have headlined some stories....? It's hard to remember.

I am happy for Paul Telfer (Xander) and Arianne Zucker (Kristen/Nicole). I am pleased for Chrishell Stause (Jordan) and Olivia Keegan (Claire) even though their stories weren't great, they turned in admirable performances.

I will reserve judgment on the rest until more information about what was presented is available. Some things are just "Emmy Bait" and I don't root for those to win (e.g., Marlena's 2nd most recent coma, etc).

Back