SPOILER !! In Spring...????

Honestly.......I cannot think of a single recast, who portrayed a character in the same way as the actor who was before them.

Every actor has their own take on a character, and it shows. Drake Hogysten played Roman completely differently than Josh Taylor (present Roman) does, and both were different from Wayne Northrop, original Roman. Matt Ashford's Jack is very different than the actors who portrayed him before Matt did, and he has made that character his own. Billie was a very different person when portrayed by Julie Pinson, in comparison to Lisa Rinna. Currently Eric Martsolf's Brady is definitely not the same kind of person/character as when Kyle Lowder played him, and so far, Kyle Lowder's Rex is very different from Eric Winter's version. Marci Miller's Abigail was more quiet, reserved than Kate Mansi's feisty version. Philip has been portrayed by several actors, each in their own way.....

True. The teen and adult Belles were different. And when Jennifer was portrayed by a different actress 1996-97, was really a change in character that I had trouble getting used to. I was just getting to appreciate Marci Miller as Abigail. Now i have to get used to Kate Mansi’s Abigail. They are really different in appearance and how they act.

I thought the Austin, Jan Spears, and Shawn Douglas recasts were all very similar. Of course actor mechanisms changed, but still felt like the same character to me. Yes, most of the recasts mentioned above had a whole new take on the character. Sometimes I think that keeps the character fresh, while other times I wish they would just bring in a new character instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I would agree somewhat about Jan Spears, to me, the two Austins, and two Shawns were very different. I prefer Patrick Muldoon as Austin.....but like both actors' portrayals of Shawn D....but they are very different. Presently, Brandon Beemer does a good job of portraying an older, more mature Shawn D. Too bad this last visit gave him very little air time.

Honestly.......I cannot think of a single recast, who portrayed a character in the same way as the actor who was before them.
Every actor has their own take on a character, and it shows. Drake Hogysten played Roman completely differently than Josh Taylor (present Roman) does, and both were different from Wayne Northrop, original Roman. Matt Ashford's Jack is very different than the actors who portrayed him before Matt did, and he has made that character his own. Billie was a very different person when portrayed by Julie Pinson, in comparison to Lisa Rinna. Currently Eric Martsolf's Brady is definitely not the same kind of person/character as when Kyle Lowder played him, and so far, Kyle Lowder's Rex is very different from Eric Winter's version. Marci Miller's Abigail was more quiet, reserved than Kate Mansi's feisty version. Philip has been portrayed by several actors, each in their own way.....

The only recast that has kept me coming back for more is Matthew Ashford as Jack. While I like some of the actors who were recast, many just irritated me in those roles. The Jennifer recasts were terrible. Actresses fine but no Jennifer Rose.

I thought Patrick Muldoon was better at showing Austin’s vulnerable side that went with loss or heartache. Everything with Carrie,”Kate’s death”, and Billie’s drug problem. Austin Peck was more humorous to me and better at showing anger and frustration.

Brandon Beemer was very similar to Jason Cook as Shawn Douglas at first to me with driving his car through the mansion and the whole Willow Stark thing, but I agree he did show a more mature side of Shawn once he settled into the role. I also wish we could see more of him nowadays.

Also the actress who plays Kayla confirmed there will be a Caroline memorial, so most likely no Roman wedding lol

I actually liked Mike and Carrie together too as well. There was no drama like with Austin and also Rafe, they both were just fun loving. I actually never saw Carrie as a hag, maybe entitled and acting like a holy roller, but considering all the things with Sami and also Anna, can you blame her? Carrie seems more like Belle if anything, even though they aren't technically related.

So Will will end up in the hospital, I wonder if this has to do with Leo? Not sure how long the actor of Leo will stay around but, that would make sense trying to go after Will so he can make sure he stays married to Sonny. I am so glad also they shot a memorial for Caroline, I actually always liked her, more with Victor better than with Shawn. How odd though that both the actors of Caroline and Shawn Brady in real life died within a short time of one another almost like a real couple.

OT: I think it was a Lifetime movie, but anyway, Arianne Zucker (Nicole) was the mom of a teenager. I think it had to be very recent

I did not know the Caroline (or the Shawn Brady) actor had died. I'm so sad to hear that. I always enjoyed the scenes with her and Victor, in particular. Did they mention Caroline's passing on the show?

The actors portraying Shawn & Caroline died within a few months of each other. On the show, they had Shawn pass away when the actor retired, And Mickey after recasts did not work out....but it does seem since then, if the actor has long portrayed a character, he doesn't die until the actor has passed. i.e. Alice, Stefano, Caroline, (excepting for Bo, & Lexie whose deaths were written in per the actors' requests. )

Me neither. Used to love her wardrobe, before she became the DiMera princess. Wish they would leave the over the top clothing to Kate. It actually makes sense for her character.

I chuckled yesterday when Claire said “Aunt Sami got the love of her life back” and Marlena just sipped her tea with no comment. I want her to be there for Caroline’s memorial because they were close, but I don’t want to hear about EJ anymore. The actress who played Caroline has really passed, so it should be all about her and not an actor who chose to leave the show.

Last edited:
Back