Info on how to get Days Ahead again here!!!!!

days169

Reaction score
The feed is now digital. But, however, they make a receiver that only costs $100, some is cheaper. These receiver's are sometimes called FTA (Free To Air) receivers that receives MPEG2/DVB digital programming. Such sites like gosatellite.com or satelliteav.com and skyvision.com has these receivers. They can be connected to your big dishes to receive this feed.

I have one of these receivers, since my hobby is finding wild feeds on the satellite, I stumbled across this feed last night at 4am, and it started at 4:15 just like before when it was analog. It is still in the clear and available, you just need one of these digital receivers. Which some are as cheap as $89-$100. Barb, I watched this feed for years and am glad this feed is still available and the equipment is available for you to. If you purchase one of these receivers I will be glad to assist you through PM's on getting it set up. I have all the satellite info you need.

Folks, don't give up yet because this feed is still there and there is plenty of ways for us to still see it. Working a 2nd shift job sometimes makes it too hard for me to stay up from 4am-5am to watch it in its entirety to make a post as detailed as you guys do, but I hope this nugget of informations gives you all new light and hope!

Thanks,
Josh

While I appreciate the info........and could look into it perhaps.....I have a bigger problem. My big dish is "frozen" into position on that Canadian sattelite. In other words, it won't move. Have tried oiling, greasing, shaking, etc. So the rotor on the dish has a problem. Now, as long as the feed was coming out of that one sattelite, all was o.k.
I know some years ago, I had to have it replaced.......and I guarantee you, it is not something I can do myself, and I have no idea if anyone in this area has the knowledge to do so anymore either. The guy who did the installation initially, and other things over the years, with my sattelite, has moved away.
So, there is no way to move the dish to different sattelites. Now if this digital feed is coming in on the same sattelite as before...this could work. LOL

@ Poirot. I was told that the stations had gone digital, but are from the same locals. I had asked at best buy while in Plattsburgh over the long weekend. Just not sure if it is the same satttelite.

Yes, actually my local stations have gone digital, too. However, right now they are broadcasting in both digital AND analog.
There are tons of sattelites in the skies.....my big dish has to move to focus on them.

Direct TV & Dish TV (the small dishes) have multiple big dishes pointed at these different sattelites, and have the electronic knowhow & equipment to enable us all to get it from one place without moving, (like cable, too). Sigghhhh.

Poirot

The feed is still on E2-6 but digital. So you won't have to move your dish. I also wouldn't suggest buying a box off ebay. Those usually won't work. Go thru a trusted site.

@days169........I just bought two different things on e-bay - nothing electronic, and was pretty disappointed in the one...and the other was....well, it was O.K. I guess. So, I am very, very leery about e-bay. I had checked into some Canadian receivers or something, but whatever I was looking at was around $400, plus a monthly fee.

I will look into this receiver thing.

FTA Receiver

I have had C-band since 1983. I also have watched DAYS since 1964 (I was about 9 years old then). Anyway, the best FTA receiver is a Traxis 3500. They cost about $100. If you e-mail Lee Richardson at mechtech@evansville.net, he will be able to set you up with a new receiver at a reasonable cost. He will also give you instructions on how to program it. It's relatively easy, just a little harder than programming a VCR. It only does standard def (a high def receiver costs more) but that will get you started.

Thanks,
Frances

You can also try global-cm.net

The FTA receivers on EBay is usually someone elses old receivers they have used to steal dish network programming.

Please let me know if you need any assistance.

All TV channels including local channels will go digital by law in Feb 2009 so if you do not have a digital TV or the converter box you will not be able to watch any TV at all. (This is in the US, I don't know about Canada)

All TV channels including local channels will go digital by law in Feb 2009 so if you do not have a digital TV or the converter box you will not be able to watch any TV at all. (This is in the US, I don't know about Canada)

In our area of Georgia, we are being told that only people using antennas and rabbit ears will need the converter....don't know about dishes.

Kathy is correct. Those who have Direct TV or Dish TV in the U.S. will not be affected, but only for those TVs that are hooked up to those services. Roof top and rabbit ears need the converters.
Like me.......I have only one TV hooked up to Direct TV, and another operating off a roof antenna.

In fact, if you ever saw the jumble of cables behind my living room TV you would undoubtably throw up your hands in defeat.......even our guru Wayne would be at a loss.
I have the TV, a DVD player, Direct TV, 2 VCRs and my big dish all hooked up via connectors, splitters, & roof top antenna, plus a rotor for it....... name it. The bedroom TV is hooked up to the rooftop antenna, while there is a TV in the basement hooked up to the big dish, roof top and LR via splitters. We are scared to unhook anything, lol.

I have Comcast cable and "they" are saying we won't be affected.
The only people who will be affected are those who still use "rabbit ears" or "over the air" tv signals (not meaning satellite).

The reason they're making such a big deal out of it is several-fold;

1) The people who're still using the old rabbit ear antennas are -- and I mean nothing negative -- usually going to be amongst the very poorest Americans who are never going to understand what happened to their TV's in February of next year.

2) It helps sell cable services because in order to get TV after 2/17/09, you MUST have a digital receiver box.

Most people however won't understand the difference between "digital receiver box" and "cable TV". The cable companies certainly aren't going to go out of their way to explain how the confused caller doesn't have to have cable, just a $50 receiver box.

3) It helps sell TV sets to those who don't understand that they may not need one.

Here's the thing. The federal government, trying to force innovation (HDTV) said "everyone must broadcast in digital by 2/17/09". They did NOT say "you must STOP broadcasting over the air or analog signals by 2/17/09". The idea that everyone will stop broadcasting analog signals on that day is JUST greedy cable and TV companies at work.

Wayne

The people who're still using the old rabbit ear antennas are -- and I mean nothing negative -- usually going to be amongst the very poorest Americans who are never going to understand what happened to their TV's in February of next year.

There are quite a few of us folks that don't have cable access who don't use rabbit ears that spent 100's of dollars on building antenna towers because we live in the rural mountainous regions of Pennsylvania. We are not poor, we may be frugal and we certainly aren't buying into the notion that this change is only for the purpose of converting to digital just because of technological reasons. The FCC, the government and the Neilson ratings people are very interested in everyone's viewing habits and are not concerned in the least that they are invading our homes and right to privacy with this upcoming change.

I have been in enough homes of economically disadvantaged people to see that the things that some of the poor consider top priority is their cable (or satellite) TV and beer. They seem to have more gadgets than I do, yet they qualify for medicaid. Some of the more wealthy people I know live in rural areas and have trouble getting services to their lovely estates and Verizon is a real piece of work around here.

Back