Info on how to get Days Ahead again here!!!!!

Wayne and Nurse Hamster, you ain't just a woofin'. We too are in a remote area with no access to cable. I know some people (with on-roof antenna) who have already gotten their converter boxes and can't figure out what to do with them. (Not that I could either). In our area, DirectTv does not offer network channels--NBC, CBS, etc. So we switched to DishNetwork a long time ago. My sister stayed with DirectTv but continued to use antenna for local network channels. Now she's already bought her converter boxes but after hearing others say how complicated they are, she has decided to toss the converters and switch to DishNetwork, as many others have already done. What a mess!
And N.H., about the satellites and beer, don't forget the cigarettes. It's a good thing I quit long, long ago. I don't know how anybody affords them now!

Also living in a rural area with no cable access, which is why I got my big dish years ago. We have a rooftop antenna sitting atop a pole that is 12 ft in the air above the roof........and we still get lousy reception for local channels. (It is mostly due to huge, huge pine trees, I think. Plus being over 100 miles away from the city transmitting our "local" TV.
Anywone with Direct TV, who cannot get local channels, can ask for East & West coast network, I think each is $2.50 per month. But then you get all 3 networks from NY and from LA. Pretty neat when you miss a show at 7.p.m. or have two you want to watch. You can watch one at 7 (Central) and the other at 10 p.m. coming from Calif.

Some folks here also have gotten their converter boxes and are complaining that their picture is no better and in fact worse, they cannot see it at all.

There are quite a few of us folks that don't have cable access who don't use rabbit ears that spent 100's of dollars on building antenna towers because we live in the rural mountainous regions of Pennsylvania
Then in fact, my statement would not apply to you (or "us folks") to include anyone who goes to lengths to watch TV. I'm talking primarily about those who have access to such services but -- like a friend of mine's mom -- have simply never bothered to upgrade because "her 30 year old set is still working fine and she doesn't watch enough to justify cable service". Sorry if my intent was misconstrued.

Otherwise, I find no fault in what you're saying about the breach of personal privacy. It's a bit tin-hatter, but I agree to a certain extent that the cable companies will benefit from being able to review what you're watching.

What I want to know is 1) Who's paying for all these ads and 2) who really is setting up to benefit? Cable companies? TV manufacturers? Who?

Wayne

For the record, I'd go back to direcTV in a heartbeat if they offered local channels, because that's what I'm watching 90% of the time. I'm on Comcast now and have been since 1) direcTV abandoned TiVo and 2) I bought an HDTV set in June of 2006.

Dish network reportedly has a few HD locals for me (they're missing CBS and one other I believe) but when I go to their system and price out ONLY their "TurboHD" service with one HD DVR box, the monthly service cost is almost identical to what Comcast is running and I'm just not yet convinced to make the move.

Especially considering that I do watch quite a few shows on CBS and the WB that I now get in HD from ComCrap but wouldn't from Dish.

Wayne

Sorry if my intent was misconstrued.

Don't worry I wasn't taking offense I guess perhaps I was making a point a bit to forcefully? :D

Otherwise, I find no fault in what you're saying about the breach of personal privacy. It's a bit tin-hatter, but I agree to a certain extent that the cable companies will benefit from being able to review what you're watching.

I have my tin hat making plans on the drawing board. Now if I can find a pan of Jiffy pop popcorn and a roll of duct tape I will be in business. :D

What I want to know is 1) Who's paying for all these ads and 2) who really is setting up to benefit? Cable companies? TV manufacturers? Who?

I wanna know too darn it! :mad:

I can't get the local channels I want on Dish OR Directv. I'm stuck with Pittsburgh stations when I want Erie. I don't want to pay for 200 channels of crap I won't watch. I want the soap channel, HGTV, Food Network, History, A & E, C span, DYI, Starz, HBO, Showtime, MTV, Discovery, Animal Planet and Cornerstone. I also would want something in the medical field and something Political/Legislative. So add the local big three ABC, NBC, CBS, then Fox and PBS, that's 21 channels. That's ALL I want.

I had Directv before and it sux. I really don't like paying for satellite that doesn't work when it rains and snows or has too many clouds. The only other thing to try is Dish and I doubt it would be any different.

NH.......you'd want to add Turner Movie Classics (TCM) to that as it is the only station you can watch movies on straight thru with no commercials. I also like the History channel, Bravo and Hallmark.

I also love TCM and the Hitler Channel (uh, I mean The History Channel). Do you realize that if there hadn't been an Adolph Hitler, The History Channel and A&E wouldn't exist?

You have a point there, KathyLu, about the Hitler stuff. :) I also like TCM, History Channel, HGTV and some of the others mentioned above. I take some of the History Channel's interpretations with a grain of salt though, when it concerns Biblical events. And I also like Encore Western Channel. Lol. Yep, I like old westerns!

N.H., yeah, it's too bad we can't pick out and only pay for the specific channels we want. And you are right about the weather interference being the same with Dish or any other satellite.

Barb, my husband says we can't get the east coast/west coast deal for network channels with DirectTv because we live within the range of local channels and what Dish Network is giving us are the actual local channels (which includes network but also has the local channel news, advertising, etc.), not a direct network feed. Somehow the local feed is being uploaded and these are carried for us by DishNetwork for free. Direct Tv can't offer us the direct networks because it would interfere with the local stations' advertising, and they are either not able or not willing to give us the local stations. I don't know anything but that's roughly how he explained it to me.

I get the local channels now, complete with the local advertising. But when I first got east coast/west coast, Direct wasn't offering them in my area. So when I called, they asked for my zip code, ascertained I was more than 75 miles from the transmitting stations/tower, and so gave me west ocast/east coast. (Dish TV won't do that if I switch now because NOW, both can give us local stations. I guess I am "grandfathered" in.

The feed is now digital. But, however, they make a receiver that only costs $100, some is cheaper. These receiver's are sometimes called FTA (Free To Air) receivers that receives MPEG2/DVB digital programming. Such sites like gosatellite.com or satelliteav.com and skyvision.com has these receivers. They can be connected to your big dishes to receive this feed.

I have one of these receivers, since my hobby is finding wild feeds on the satellite, I stumbled across this feed last night at 4am, and it started at 4:15 just like before when it was analog. It is still in the clear and available, you just need one of these digital receivers. Which some are as cheap as $89-$100. Barb, I watched this feed for years and am glad this feed is still available and the equipment is available for you to. If you purchase one of these receivers I will be glad to assist you through PM's on getting it set up. I have all the satellite info you need.

Thanks,
Josh

Sheesh, I went to all 3 sites, it truly was all Greek to me. I would definitely be at a loss if it was not possible to just plug it in to my present dish........I do not have any satellite techs around here........and the multiple choices and descriptions were absolutely beyond me. As I said before, my dish can no longer move, so is stationery only pointing at the Canadian E-6.

Also........I get the impression that my VCR would not be able to be hooked up to this receiver, that I would need a special something or other, I have no idea what.

Just be like me, throw out the TV and count on the Days Ahead! That saves the hassle of understanding all greek direct TV terminology. Maybe thereis a way to download off the internet the TV Shows

You don't understand........I DO the Day Ahead, and no longer can get the "day ahead feed".
And I have no problem with Direct TV at all..

It is my big 6 ft dish on C-band, it went digital, I evidently can get the feed back if I get some new and different equipment.....but it is not that easy. The feed comes in the middle of the night.....so I used to tape it, watch it early a.m. and type up Day ahead. Well, that will not work, even with a different receiver, as VCRs only work on analog, I understand........not digital. grrrr.
And all the descriptions given for different receivers .....that is why one needs a tech person installing. :)

@ Poirot. What about our tech guy Wayne? Maybe he can help you figure it all out. If you lived near me I would have my brother over and he would have it up in a flash.

I would like to know if there is a VCR that can tape digital channels? I have been looking at one that has the ATSC tuning, but alas I am not sure what I am looking for.

I know that I am using a satellite dish and am able to record with my VCR. The VCR connects to the dish in the video output and you have to tape what you are watching.

Those receivers have analog hookups on the back of the box. So it can be recorded, you would have to remember to keep the receiver on before you go to bed, setup a timer to record channel 3 or 4, whichever you choose it to come thru on and it will work. Its sounds hard to do, but really its not. If you decide to purchase one, I can help you thru PM's or something to get it hooked up. Basically all you will need is a FTA digital receiver, splitter switch (one like I sent you the link to) and about 2 coax cables.

So my present receiver has coax cables, is it possible to just unhook them from the receiver, and connect them to a new one?
Also, I know there is a splitter switch already hooked up in the jumble of cables back there, but I have no idea what that one is "splitting". LOL
My big dish WAS hooked up to two TVs and I think that is what the splitter switch was used for. Why would I need one.

My VCR is hooked up to the present receiver, and that is how I have to record, by leaving the receiver on, and setting the VCR timer to record in middle of night on the TV 4. So I understand that, and if that would still work, fabulous!

But there ARE a myriad of receivers listed on those sites, all with different capabilities, it seems.

The best one that is of good quality and not so expensive is the Traxis 3500. The splitter I am talking about is a certain splitter for big dishes, a simple old splitter will not seperate the incoming feed like this one will. It is on the link I sent you in an earlier post. Basically, all you are doing is unhooking the coax from the dish, put the splitter on, put one cable back to you cband receiver and one cable back to your digital receiver. This allows the digital revceiver to receiver signal from the big dish. Then you connect the digital reveiver to the tv via whichever input you would like.

Back