Must have brand name grocery items?

Wheat Thins is for me as well.

Used to use Charmin,....but switched to Northern. Folgers is the only coffee, and when they have a big sale, I stock up. I do hate how the companies have taken oz. slowly away, going from the 3 lb. 48 oz, now down to about 33 I think. Funny how the can size stays the same. LOL But I have had, at times, 3 cans in the cupboard, and another in use. (When they knock $3 or $4 off, have to stock up. LOL

I always used Bounty, but also switched over to Sparkle, much cheaper, works as well. I never get "designer" paper towels or napkins, only white, and out stores just rarely carried all white Bounty. So....

Oh yeah, my last one...Puffs Plus. No other tissues for me. Go thru tissues so much, my sinus runs a lot. And boy, if you have a cold...terrific. Sorry, I am sounding like a TV commercial. LOLOL Will shut up.

Scott toilet paper. lol

Hellmann's Mayo

TGI Friday's poppers. Yum. I've tried a store brand and they were yucky. They are breaded jalapeno peppers with either cream cheese (my favorite) or cheddar cheese.

Poirot mentioned not being able to find certain brands got me wondering. First I think I have kept Chef Boyardee in business. My #1 is canned pasta. My 2nd was Franco American now under the name of Campbell's. What I want to know is why do the Campbells/Franco American only sell the spaghetti without meatballs? I have not seen any in over a decade or longer. SpaghettiOs with meatballs etc., yes, but no spaghetti with meatballs. Maybe its just my area.

They also used to have this cheesy thick pasta (like very thick spaghetti). My younger sister would call it cheesy weezy noodles. lol It was good but was discontinued, sadly.

We did too, me and my sister loved it.

Great thread, Red Squirrel

Again an item with no generic version - Green & Black's 85% Dark Chocolate. I'd started with Hershey's Special Dark Kisses and had worked my way up to Lindt 90% dark chocolate. Then I saw some Green & Black's, which I'd heard was good, but they only had 85% dark, but I gave it a try. The flavor is so much richer than Lidnt, that Lidnt seems bland by comparison. There was a little while, where it was iffy finding it in local Walmarts or Walgreens, so I keep a small stash in reserve, just in case.

Charmin's Ultra Soft Toilet Paper

Clausen Pickles - 2 jars a week!

Tasters Choice Instant Coffee - if it has to be instant, this has the best taste to me.

Gazebo Greek Salad Dressing - haven't found a better Greek yet with the exception of homemade

Better than Bullion Stock Base - All Flavors are the best I've ever taster- Ham, Beef, Chicken, Vegetable, etc.

Adding Dawn Dish Liquid. Used to be Palmolive but loved the way Dawn helped the animals in oil spills!

PS: Off Topic, this is the first time I could post for a long time. I can usually only "appreciate" a post and even then it takes me to another page to ask if I am sure I want to "like" it. Any ideas why?

Last edited:
Dunkin' Donuts original coffee. I can drink other brands, but I prefer this one.

Mocha Mix non dairy creamer.

Heinz ketchup only.

Bounce dryer sheets (unscented).

Kleenex brand tissues. I buy others, but I go through them fast and prefer this brand.

I forgot about Dawn dish soap. I only use the blue contracted stuff too. The generic just isn't as good. It kept clogging up the opening of the bottle.

I read an interview with someone who coordinates clean up of animals after an oil spill and she said that lots of companies donate dish soap, but they only use Dawn because it's the only one they can rely on to be gentle and still get the oil off. The other dish soaps are given to residents and clean up crews. She said that she still was using up the stuff from the last spill she worked.

I've used it to to kill fleas on young kittens. Any NON-antibacterial dish soap can be mixed with water to make an insecticide. Dawn is what was on hand, and I knew it was gentle enough to use on young animals.

PS: Off Topic, this is the first time I could post for a long time. I can usually only "appreciate" a post and even then it takes me to another page to ask if I am sure I want to "like" it. Any ideas why?
Honestly? This is the first I've heard of such an issue. Had you tried logging out and back in? Clearing your cache and maybe restarting your machine? Were there any error messages? What URL was it sending you to?

Questions, I've got. Answers, I'm sure we can find..

Wayne

When I'm on this site, on my phone, it will sometimes take me to another page asking if I'm sure I want to like a post, but not every time. I'm rarely on here on my phone, so it wasn't a big enough deal for me to say something.

I can only guess that maybe it's a caching or security settings issue on your phone maybe? Might also be a resolution issue with the smaller screen, like what Poirot goes through with her low-res monitor?

Wayne

Wow I can respond 2 day in a row! I feel lucky. Wayne, I am on a dial up and bought a new computer that is a laptop. Could it be because of the speed? It happened to me on my old computer once in a while but I could not respond for 2 months! Did all, log in, clear cache etc. It seems to be working at the moment. It's frustrating when I see a subject and have a comment or question and can not ask! Can't even email any of you. In the box where we type the response there were no icons showing for the bold, italic, etc. none of that. That is when I can not respond. Sorry off subject again.

perhaps the trouble was the browser???

So speaking of products, I use Chrome & Firefox....Don't have Internet explorer on here. Won't have it even onn the computer.lol

On my work computer, I don't have the icons for bold, italic, font color, etc., just empty boxes. But if I hover the cursor over the empty spot where it's supposed to be, the correct word will show up near the cursor. When I hover the cursor over the spot for bold, instead of seeing the icon for bold, I'll see the word "bold," but not where the icon is, if that makes sense.

Thank you Poirot & b2C.

There isn't even a row at the top to hover over when I have that problem. Nothing!

I have Microsoft Edge for my browser. Internet explorer is also installed. It came with the Dell.

I only buy name name brands, never the Walmart or Target, etc brand. 9/10 times it's of lesser quality, you get what you pay for.

Same with gas, only Exxon, Mobil, Shell, etc. A friend who works in the industry says all gas is the same, except for Valero, which is watered down. I still stick with the big companies though, they are also usually about the same price as Kroger gas, etc.

Generic/Store brands are much better than they used to be, but still some not near as good name brands. When I was younger some generic food was nasty and cleaners did nothing when it come to cleaning.

Here is one for my mom, Folgers coffee only. lol

LOL, Darrius, I am with you on name brands. My hubby is a great one for in house brands, but I honestly have found most to be not of the same quality. And yep, Folgers coffee. (short tale...some years ago, had a business during winter months serving breakfasts for the winter sports enthusiasts. Simple menu. But Folgers coffee, Smuckers jam. Cannot begin to tell you how often I was praised for the coffee, asking what brand. And I would reply. using an accent, that it was "mountain grown". (You have to remember that commercial to appreciate it, perhaps, lol) And same for the jam/jelly for toast, which i would put into a small covered bowl. Too bad I could not collect commissions. LOL

All that said.......we get used to brands, and then they change the formula, the ingredients. and....not the same any more..........right? Also, just noted the contents of the 3 lb. container of coffee, which was whittled slowly down to 2 lbs. Well that is 32 oz. and my current container says 30. 5 oz., the ice cream 1/2 gallon is now 1 and 1/2 quarts, while my 1/2 gallon of O.J. is 59 0z. Just take a look at the number of sheets of your toilet paper in comparison to others. Ah, yes, the price seems right, but the amount it less.

Back